What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
NOD32 boasts excellent credentials worthy of an effective guard. Microsoft uses NOD32 in their release labs. Canon Japan also exclusively uses NOD32. ESET's software claimed the Virus Bulletin's coveted 100% award in every test since May 1998 and the ICSA Labs (Internet Computer Security Association) has given their "nod" to NOD32.

NOD32 Review

wasnt really much of a Fan of Nod32 i really liked Kaspersky detection was perfect at the moment am trying out Avast like the Boot Scanner but i think thats all i like about it to be honest

EDIT: I removed some content from my post because, like the idot i am, i was confusing NOD with Norton!!! Two WAY different products and as far as i know, NOD is a very good A/V.

When you read published results of how 'good' an A/V tool is, you have to take that information with a grain of salt. Often they don't include information like how well it gets along with your system or how many problems people have had with it. I've reason to believe that some A/V vendors tailor their s/w just to secure a good score and some of the criteria that the reviewers set is rather stupid.

I've used several products in the past, including AVG and Avast!. I've probably used the latter for the longest period of time. I think i used some sort of Norton security suite WAY back when.

Avast! is really good and it doesn't infect and bog down your system. They also seem like an ethical bunch. Once when i scanned a file which i thought was a known trojan and Avast! didn't alert, i emailed them about it. They explained exactly why it wasn't in their definitions and i agreed that they were right not to include it. I also asked them why they didn't make the VB 100% score on Virus Bulletin (http://www.virusbtn.com/index) (they are probably considered thee authority on A/V stuff) one time and they also explained that in detail. That's when i started to learn about the screwy criteria that some A/V reviewers set.

As Avast! progressed, it also got a little too bloated for my taste (been using it since early beta), so i started looking for alternatives. I found ClamWin and it was exactly what i wanted! -- no bLOAt, no hogging resources, no slowing down of my system, powerful command line options, a super clean GUI, completely free and, to top it off, open source. Updates are pumped out faster than some major vendors (Clam is set to check it's database hourly by default) and background scanning isn't even an option. Right now it's an on-demand scanner only, so i'd suggest noobs stay away. As an open source product, i think that would take the pressure off the developers to advertise useless statistics like "we detect 49,0000 known viruses". They also don't have to compromise their product to get a "good score" with any reviewers.

Edited by atomizer

wow atomizer, you really do pick the worst AVs to rely on.

i think that would take the pressure off the developers to advertise useless statistics like "we detect 49,0000 known viruses"

ahahaha. yah, i prefer an antivirus that can only detect ten viruses

wow atomizer, you really do pick the worst AVs to rely on.

ahahaha. yah, i prefer an antivirus that can only detect ten viruses

i prefer intelligent comments from knowledgeable people who've done their research. oh well, guess i'm out of luck.

i knew it was portable, but didn't see that page. good catch :)

I use Symantec's 8.0. It is resource hungary surely but works for me.

I must admit that first time I have read abt NOD32. I really did not know it exists. I am really impressed with its rating in this Poll. And will try to test it soon.