• Norton
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Windows Default
    • ZoneAlarm
    • Winpooch
    • Other - ?
    • None!

I like outpost but it uses much ram. I have read in here it can be configured to use less, I cant seem to do it.

Does anyone here know how?

How much RAM is it using? It's sitting at 20MB for me right now (out of 1GB). I've got it running in normal mode, with only the Attack Detection and DNS Cache plugins working.

PC-Cillin has always been the best

Yeah, that's probably why it's not listed in the poll... Just because you like it doesn't mean it is the best. You need to word things properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I tried Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and its got a very configurable firewall ('Anti-Hacker') and its a very lean program (~10mb).

I have only played with it for about 10 minutes, but i will give it a good run later :)

*waits for Jeremy to slap me* :whistle:

I use ipcop as well, i used zone alarm free for awhile but when it was running on a particular computer it wouldnt shut down and windows crashed when i installed zonealarm 6 cant say much about zone alarm now because i dont use it.

Glad this topic was started. I started getting tired of Kerio (now Sunbelt Kerio, as it was acquired recently), though i still think it's a fine firewall.

I just started evaluating a new s/w firewall called Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition. It's an open source project, though the source is not freely available ($480 US). The firewall application is free however. Technically, i would have to consider it 'nagware' as it displays links to their other products in the 'status' window of the firewall UI, however it's not really annoying and that's coming from someone who detests 'nagware'. The UI is a bit rough around the edges perhaps, but nothing to really complain about. For the most part, i think it leaves Kerio in the dust. The logging, which was never a strong point with Kerio, is much better in Filseclab. From their website (their english is not very good):

# It can block the most attacks from worm viruses and trojans.

# It can block some main Adware and Spyware, the definition supports live update and you may also define it yourself.

# Double filter system provides double-layer protection.

# Digital signature verification can automatically trust the well-known program.

# Built-in 7 big modes can apply for all kinds of requirements.

# Advanced realtime monitor lets the network activities be clear.

# Interactive rules creator is very easy to create the rules.

# Password protection can protect the rules and configurations.

# It is very easy to backup and restore the rules.

# It can control the websites easily.

# It supports two logfile types, ascii and binary.

# It also supports live update for rule-definition, traffic graph, privacy protection, Windows Security Center, balloon message alert and more unique features.

UPDATE:

Filseclab gets it's advertising from a static HTML document in its program directory, '/online/default.htm'. I simply edited it by replacing the contents with the following which makes it completely invisible:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<style type="text/css">
body {
background-color: #666699;
}
body.c1 {border: none;overflow:hidden}
</style>
</head>
<body class="c1" oncontextmenu="return false">
</body>
</html>

Edited by atomizer

I have to say I tried Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and its got a very configurable firewall ('Anti-Hacker') and its a very lean program (~10mb).

I have only played with it for about 10 minutes, but i will give it a good run later :)

*waits for Jeremy to slap me* :whistle:

LOL. I haven't tried Kaspersky's product yet, but I really like Outpost. I know you are/were using WinPooch, but I thought it was a retarded program to be honest. Anyway, *poke*. :hello:

I'm still using Sygate. I just haven't come across anything free that works as well. It is simple and effective.

I've tried ZoneAlarm and am not impressed. I also worked on a machine with ZoneAlarm that was blocking McAfee from getting updates. It was set to notify user of connection attempts & I even created rules for all of the McAfee services. It still blocked the updates. Turned off ZA...everything worked.

It's too bad the crapiest company had to buy out the best free personal firewall. :realmad: They can at least recognize a threat in the business world. Maybe their expensive personal firewall will work worth a **** now...naaah!

I'm still using Sygate. I just haven't come across anything free that works as well. It is simple and effective.

It's too bad the crapiest company had to buy out the best free personal firewall. :realmad: They can at least recognize a threat in the business world. Maybe their expensive personal firewall will work worth a **** now...naaah!

Don't hold your breath on Symantec using the codebase from Sygate in any new projects. The purchase was a buy-to-kill scenario - not a buy-to-incorporate.

The only downside with Sygate is that it's application based, as opposed to rule-based. It's still a good firewall, but if you wanna be really paranoid, then a rules based firewall is the way to go. :)