• Norton
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Windows Default
    • ZoneAlarm
    • Winpooch
    • Other - ?
    • None!

Been trying out Look n'stop lite. Seems like a good firewall.

ANyone know how to configure it?

If you have to ask that question, I don't think it's a good firewall.

To me, a good firewall is one that when something comes up that requires your help:

a ) Tells you about the event - detailed information including application name, port number, destination IP, etc etc etc

b ) Gives you a list of options as to what to do

c ) Blocks the application until you've given the 'OK'

I used to be a big fan of Sygate, but I've been trying Outpost for a while and it seems to be doing the job. The built in DNS Cache and ad-blocker are pretty nice features as well. I had it on "Rules Wizard" for about a week when I first started it, and then once I had configured most of the rules, switched to Block Most. This is mainly just because I didn't want to be bothered any further, and because the tray icon is prettier that way... ;):P

The only thing I wish Outpost had was a button for "add rule". You click, select the application, and then configure the rule. That instead of going in, finding the application settings page, and then editing the rules...

Just a note - the interface of Outpost isn't for everyone. It's deinfately something that takes some getting used to, and most people just want an "OK" or "not OK" when they open the window.

Almost using no firewalls

You'd be surprised which programs and games try to send outgoing and and whereto. I've had image editors try to send to Microsoft, and didn't realize until my software firewall told me! If you have a router that monitors incoming and outgoing, that's fine, but I've heard that it slows down your connection overall due to the excessive packet monitoring done through the router. Makes sense.

Almost using no firewalls

You'd be surprised which programs and games try to send outgoing and and whereto. I've had image editors try to send to Microsoft, and didn't realize until my software firewall told me! If you have a router that monitors incoming and outgoing, that's fine, but I've heard that it slows down your connection overall due to the excessive packet monitoring done through the router. Makes sense.

Sure, but the same thing is happening on your PC.

I just use the MS firewall - and focus on not running malware in the first place.

I just use the MS firewall - and focus on not running malware in the first place.

Well put!

You only need a heavy duty, two way, firewall if you run a "Dirty" machine.

Keep the Malware off of your computer and the Windows Firewall will do you very nicely, thank you.

That's all I use and all my logical ports are in full "Stealth" mode. My Anti Virus, Anti-Trojan and Anti-Spyware software does the rest.

That's all ya need!

Andromeda43

Pick up a good NAT Router on eBay for less than $15 delivered to your door. Done and done.

My in-laws gave me the money and I picked them up a D-Link DI-604 from our tech shop. Very wise decision.

NAT Routers only help when you're connected at home. I'd rather have a two way firewall for when I'm at university and connected to a rather unsecure network. You'd be amazed at how much random traffic there is here. I'm guessing that most of it is people on BitTorrent to be honest...

I know it's only one way protection, but I use XP's firewall. It seems to work pretty good and my security scans never pick up anything.

I keep it updated, and it's not a resource hog in the least.