New SVGA boot logo

Tihiy

I have hard time writing this thing in pure assembler, and now i'm proudly presenting my new work:

SVGA (not VGA!) animated XP-like boot screen!

I want you to test it!

Please download,extract,run and test:

- Does it display propertly? (describe your hardware)

- Does it animates propertly?

- Do you like this kind of boot screen/animation? (DO NOT complain about picture, it sux i know)

This version just displays picture and terminates, final version will be in/with win.com. It is going to be available in RPLite 5 tech beta in two weeks, source code will be avaiable.

XPLogo2.zip

Edited by Tihiy

"- Does it display propertly? (describe your hardware)"

When run under DOS-mode it displays ok. You don't mention this but I assume that it is not supposed to run under Windows or dosbox. And it doesn't :). KT133pro,Duron1200,Radeon9600pro,Win98se

"- Does it animates propertly?"

Nope, still image, no closing. Machine needs to be reset.

"- Do you like this kind of boot screen/animation? (DO NOT complain about picture, it sux i know)"

I disabled the original Win98 logo, but in SVGA it's nice to put my own homebrew there when possible!

Nope, still image, no closing. Machine needs to be reset.

Well, bad. I haven't tried to run it in dos/9x, but in xp/dos it work well. I'll explore this problem.

This version just displays picture and terminates, final version will be in/with win.com. It is going to be available in RPLite 5 tech beta in two weeks, source code will be avaiable.

gee so its will be a new version? so this project not dead in v4.0? and how about win2k revolution project progress?

i'll wait for yor creation (win98se rev or win2k rev or whatever :D)

thanks

Tihiy,

OK, XPlogo2 now runs on 98se usp2.1a, se2me, RPlite v4.

Animates ok, maybe a little fast compared to XP. Slight jaggies on logos , lower right Msoft logo seems the worst, still better than stock 98se2me, but thats my screen res.

Yes I like.

All, Xplogo2 did not quit on it's own, hit space bar or Esc to quit.

Hardware; P3 600, 440BX mb, RADEON 9250, Samsung 940B 19" 1152X864 res.

Edited by serta

Added fixed for dos 7.0 version to the first post.

Very nice work Tihiy. And very fast fixed, please go work for Microsoft to fix their problems :).

Are you going to make a "standalone" win.com version or only integrated in your RP?

Hi Tihiy. Is your RPLite 5 project going to be also available for other languages than English?

I find it amazing to see you create such stuff for an ancient OS. Do you document these patches for future usage?

BTW, Windows XP has also old scool graphics (16color bootscreen) :hello:

Whoa, really impressive. :thumbup

As serta said, some of the text could be better anti-aliased (and I noticed that the font for the number "98" is not the same as the "Windows" font - Frutiger 45, right?), but I'm sure that this is something you will change for the final release. Which is exciting in itself - RPLite5. :)

VIA KT600 board (VT8237 southbridge)

AMD Athlon 2800

Inno3D 256MB graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 chipset, Forceware v.77.72)

Viewsonic VP171s monitor (1280 x 1024 res.)

Edited by bristols

It's nice to know there are other Asm coders still out there besides me :thumbup

Good work! I can help you make your code better :)

Also consider using a simple compressor like RLE/LZ for the bitmap, since it is mostly empty space.

Currently it works perfectly fine.

My graphics subsystem:

Samsung 173T LCD

ZhuTian ZT760 Advance Graphic Accelerator AGP 64Mb

Edited by LLXX

Also confirmed working in dos. As a minor suggestion, you should add a small check to see if it's being run within a DOS session. Would help avoid poeple from opening it wondering what the file is only to lock up their PC in windows with it.

EPoX 9NDA3J / ATI Radeon 7000VE 32mb-DDR

Edited by Chozo4

Also confirmed working in dos. As a minor suggestion, you should add a small check to see if it's being run within a DOS session. Would help avoid poeple from opening it wondering what the file is only to lock up their PC in windows with it.

EPoX 9NDA3J / ATI Radeon 7000VE 32mb-DDR

It locks up your machine when it's run in a DOS session?

I tested it from within Windows and it worked fine...