Integrating Flash 8

BoardBabe

- Rename the new flash from the downloaded cab (flash8.ocx) to flash.ocx, and cab it to flash.oc_.

- Get the new version number from the .inf in the downloaded cab (8.??.??)

- Expand the SWFLASH.IN_ file from I386, update the version number, and cab it to swflash.in_

- Replace SWFLASH.IN_ and FLASH.OC_ in I386 with the newly cabbed versions.

- Forget about FLASH.IN_, as it is not for Macromedia Flash.

No, the SWFLASH.INF is not compatable, and, as I pointed out, the flash.ocx has a different name.

You could just rename and cab the flash.ocx. Flash would play, but the browser would still try to update because the version info in the registry would not reflect the version of the OCX. Furthermore, the other files in the downloaded cab are not used by Windows Setup.

Is there a way to do this and make the browser think it is up to date? Thanks
- Rename the new flash from the downloaded cab (flash8.ocx) to flash.ocx, and cab it to flash.oc_.

- Get the new version number from the .inf in the downloaded cab (8.??.??)

- Expand the SWFLASH.IN_ file from I386, update the version number, and cab it to swflash.in_

- Replace SWFLASH.IN_ and FLASH.OC_ in I386 with the newly cabbed versions.

- Forget about FLASH.IN_, as it is not for Macromedia Flash.

Normally the newer swflash INF would cause the flash stuff not to install with the OS. Are we finally at a point newer than Flash 8 r22? :huh:

*downloads CAB*

Ah sweet! Uber new flash! :lol:

It looks like they finally made the INF compatible with Windows integration too. :)

I suggest you replace:

SWFLASH.IN_

FLASH.OC_

and you're done. :)

Uh, now im just confused... Do you have any proof of this beeing compatible? And that new INF contains copy/install information of the update files and uninstall exe aswell, so they would have to be makecabbed and placed in i386 too!?

I know 8.0.22 works perfectly. I haven't exactly tested it on 8.0.24 just yet. What i stated above assumes that SP2 is integrated into Windows XP Professional/Media Center/Home/TabletPC. The key point is that Flash 6 is already part of service pack 2 and txtsetup/dosnet already sees the files. I don't integrate things like GetFlash or the manifest files because I already have the components. There was a problem when moving from Flash 6 to 8 when leaving the INF alone(or replacing it with the one in the new CAB)...In my experience it's best just to update the build number in the INF and be done with it. I'm already in the middle of something this week and I'll be able to test the full replacement idea later. :)

Edited by Daemonforce

• 1 month later...

taken a while but i got there.

If i do the above for 8.0.24 version of flash, it generates the icfgnt.dll error,

downside is acrobat recomend this version as supposed to be bug free, (well more so that 8.0.22).

So back to drawing board and probably use the swicthless installers i saw that were kindly made by somebody whos name escapes me.