Microsoft's Next Browser

tain

From http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/po...du_03_09_06.htm

Microsoft's Next Browser

Finally, an armored Explorer

Back in the mid-1990s, security experts warned Microsoft that integrating a Web browser deeply into Windows was a mistake. A decade and countless security vulnerabilities later, Microsoft is tacitly conceding the critics had it right. The new version of Internet Explorer to be released as part of the Vista version of Windows this fall -- and separately for Windows XP -- loses much of the privileged relationship with Windows that the Microsoft browser has long enjoyed

Visit link for audio.

warning, opera plug coming up...

i just have to add my 2 cents, being the guy who worked so hard to rip IE out.

i have always been bothered by firefox memory leaks, so i decided to give opera a try, since i read on digg that the most recent build passed the acid 2 test. so, i downloaded a preview (beta) of version 9. i use mozilla (now called seamonkey), firefox 1.5.0.1, and opera version 9 build 8303. i like firefox for easy RSS handling and the little X in the tabbed area stays put. other than these two niceties, i really like opera. a lot. if you remember it from the bad old days of version 4 a decade ago (like me :D ) then it's definately time to give it a chance...

any beta testers here have a chance to look at vista's IE integration yet?

IE will still be vulnerable to all the parsing exploits and things that it always has. The difference is it no longer has access to files, since it (apparently) runs as a highly limitted user. That means that instead of picking up malware from malicious sites, they will instead opt to just crash the browser.

Hey, look, now IE users will have to deal with more crashes than Firefox users. :lol:

By the way, has anyone checked out the Firefox 2.0 first-alpha release? A couple people said it was stable thus far and used oodles less memory(Opera Style).

Edit: Someone said 20mb with one page, and +1mb every page/tab after that.

Edited by Kramy

I don't know why people are blaiming IE, I think it is the best browser. I use only IE (and now IE7) and did not face any problem (exploits etc) till now.

The new IE7 look better than Opera/FireFox.

People should give it a try before making comments.

Pawan

nfh3ew.jpg

IE is a pain in the butt for modern, professional web designers and IE7 brings only marginal changes in the field of post-1998 standards support.

Personally, I don't like the interface at all. I prefer "static" and "full customizability", something that's only available with Opera.

@FDV:

8303 is a weekly. These are not as rigorously tested as the previews.

I don't know why people are blaiming IE, I think it is the best browser. I use only IE (and now IE7) and did not face any problem (exploits etc) till now.

Pawan

I downloaded Office 2007 today mornining from beta site....

It is fast, stable, good looking.

Just the best in office suite.

Pawan

Unconditional love for MS products? Some might say "Company Man." :lol:

Pawan

nfh3ew.jpg

I must admit that I share your opinion and now browsing with IE7 latest beta..

Although I saw that Firefox is much faster than IE7. Opera is nice too, but some pages are not generated as they suppose to be, while download manager in Opera is N1..

Tomcat76: 8303 is a weekly. These are not as rigorously tested as the previews.
I realize. The thing is, it was the first stable Opera build to pass Acid 2.

IE fans: does IE yet pass Acid 2?

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

You IE fans can have your IE7, we're not begruding you, but when Tomcat76 says:

IE is a pain in the butt for modern, professional web designers and IE7 brings only marginal changes in the field of post-1998 standards support.

he's not talking about exploits. This has nothing to do with his tastes and is not his opinion, it's a fact. Google for "IE css problems." Or read the team blog (for example, http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/29/445242.aspx )

IE fans: does IE yet pass Acid 2?

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

:no:

Wrong question !

Does IE yet pass Acid 1 ?

I guess no.

Personnaly, I prefer IE to FF.

And I prefer Maxthon to IE. (mouse gestures, popup/activeX bloquer among others)

I can't use FF : press shift, a new window will open, not a new tab : it makes no sense. And it can't be changed in (regular) options.

And it has fast no feature. Many people call it a messiah but I don't see anything.

I guess FF 2 will be better. I'll test it tonight (the alpha version, ehh)

I have to admit IE has a special feature : relaxation. It takes ages to load any webpage so that you have the time to close your eyes and relax.

I have tried Opera once.

I found it was running nice. However, I've not found so many features.

I'll dig into it later. I currently have no time.

Trust me, IE can be safe.

Just set correctly your Security Zones. Restrict rights for the Internet zone.

Also, go to Options, security and 'local Intranet' and click on 'sites'.

It's the worse thing. Uncheck (at least) the last box.

And I forgot.

With Maxthon, if you click on a link and drag it somewhere on your page, it will open in a new window.

Not in FF, even with latest 2 alpha.

(and maxthon does not need an extension to do that)

I have to admit I'm not a fan of IE, but it is enjoyable when used with Maxthon. In fact, I have been working reducers that leave the IE core in place and maxthon still works. Mouse gestures kick a**. I tried FF, and it just doesn't have the nice features that Maxthon has. In the REMOTE event I get frustrated with popups, I open a cmd window, type in regsvr32 /u jscript.dll and all is fine, no more popups. I haven't messed around with opera in a long while. Perhaps I should give it a spin again. BTW, what is the significance of the acid test? Is this used on all webpages?

It's possible to skin Firefox to look EXACTLY like IE to fool those that don't know what a web browser is. "I click the e to go online..."

Why IE sucks for web development: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/wrongWithIE/

I tried securing IE long ago, and I failed horribly. Even with the internet zone set to the MAXIMUM, with spybot & spywareblaster up to date and blocking stuff, things still got through. I'm guessing it's because I run as an admin. I do too many system-related things to bother running as a user, when it's simpler to remove offending security-related programs. :thumbup

When I need to check if my code is FF-only "crap code", I check it in Opera, and when finished blast it off to someone I know that still has IE.