Disabling Login Function in XP and MSN

him

hello,

i just wanna ask you guys how to disable the logon function in xp? i didn't set any password and i have enabled the classic (which doesn't show the welcome screen) but the logon box keep coming up saying enter password..

second question, i have recently downloaded MSN messenger 6.0 (the latest one i think) and the patch file from here.. however, when i try to open it yesterday it says "a file must be downloaded before you can continue so i downloaded it and when it was installing, it poped up a error message saying "Error: 1601" ..something like the installer service has corrupt..do i need to reinstall the installer service? how do i do it?

and also how do you change the computer registered name to a different one.. i mean when you first install XP they asked you for a name and i want to change that name now..do i need to go into registry to do that?

MILLION OF THANKS!

him

I been getting the logo screen too these days...

Just comes up with my name and logo, i have to click on it to logon. Never had this before i installed the net .NET framework. Anyway to take this off?

Just comes up with my name and logo, i have to click on it to logon. Never had this before i installed the net .NET framework. Anyway to take this off?

I had my system set up where I never needed to login either. This recently changed when I installed one of the latest critical updates and I finally got around to installing the latest .NET framework update from Windows Update. Now I have to go through this process. I never had it before with .NET framework, though. As for how to remove it w/o possibly removing the .NET framework or whether that will even fix it... I don't know.

Blah.

hello,

i just wanna ask you guys how to disable the logon function in xp? i didn't set any password and i have enabled the classic (which doesn't show the welcome screen) but the logon box keep coming up saying enter password..

Paste this into notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Replace DefaultUserName value with the Username you want to autologin with.
;Replace DefaultPassword value with the password corresponding to the Username specified.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="CHANGEME"
"DefaultPassword"="CHANGEME"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

Change the required values, save as autologon.reg, and execute the file and click Yes on the dialog window that appears.

Flash, im assuming that u want the login screen, same as 2k rather than the interactive logon screen? IF so, you must go into your user accounts CP in control panel and disable interactive logon.

Hey Guys, the .Net installation creates a new user account thereby showing you the logon screen under windows xp. I have had the same problem, remedy, remove the account created and it will enable you to logon as per normal without the use of the logon prompt. The removal of the account has no effect on system performance as far as I can tell.

Sunil

Hey Guys, the .Net installation creates a new user account thereby showing you the logon screen under windows xp. I have had the same problem, remedy, remove the account created and it will enable you to logon as per normal without the use of the logon prompt. The removal of the account has no effect on system performance as far as I can tell.

Sunil

Thanks for bringing this point up, Sunil. I feel like a git not having thought of this when I knew the new account was created and sitting there which explains it all. :)

Being the [overly] cautious person that I am, rather than going to the extreme of deleting the account I disabled it via Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Computer Management (Local) | Local Users and Groups | Users | ASPNET user account | right-click and go down to Properties | General tab | check the "Account is Disabled" box | Apply. :rolleyes:

Voila! :D

PS: Yeah, yeah, just deleting the account is much quicker but I wanted safer. :D

Edited by rotjong

Sunil

Thanks for bringing this point up, Sunil. I feel like a git not having thought of this when I knew the new account was created and sitting there which explains it all. :)

Being the [overly] cautious person that I am, rather than going to the extreme of deleting the account I disabled it via Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Computer Management (Local) | Local Users and Groups | Users | ASPNET user account | right-click and go down to Properties | General tab | check the "Account is Disabled" box | Apply. :rolleyes:

Voila! :D

PS: Yeah, yeah, just deleting the account is much quicker but I wanted safer. :D

Thanks for the work around..

Sunil