2003 registry trash cleaner

fdv

Anyone wanna try out a 2003 crap cleaner?

http://www.vorck.com/data/2003/sakit.in_

This will NOT work on Windows XP.

The file goes into FIX. Best when used with HFCLEANUP files. This WILL destroy Internet Explorer unless you delete the delreg.ie and delreg.mshtml lines at the top of the DefaultInstall sections.

The key here is to use this in conjunction with TommyP's reduction files, which should be placed in HFCLEANUP. You can use ALL of the reduction files in 2003, even those that don't begin with "2003."

Edited by fdv

I would love to test; if only I had a copy of 2k3...

The only copy I have right now is a time-limited academic version that came with one of my college books.

I would love to test; if only I had a copy of 2k3...

The only copy I have right now is a time-limited academic version that came with one of my college books.

M$ graciously sent me win2k3 and win2k3 on CD.

They also sent me x64 editions of both XP and 2k3 and Smal Business Server and ..........

Check if something called toolstore is available in your country; it still exists in France but not anymore in the US. (they send everything from Ireland)

btw, one day, I've seen a key named 'Media' in the registry. It contained infos about WMP skinning, appearance or visualization.

I exported it : 150KB!

150KB only for this. Thanks M$. :huh:

For example, I don't want TIF and JPG and PNG files associated with Windows Picture Viewer. I don't want HTML documents to be associated with IE. I don't want indexing or clustering or Fax Service or IE DLLs, so I don't want keys in the registry trying to access those DLLs. Etc, etc.

Just install microsoft patch for the WMF vulnerability, it wil do exactly the same thing :lol:

btw, one day, I've seen a key named 'Media' in the registry. It contained infos about WMP skinning, appearance or visualization.

I exported it : 150KB!

150KB only for this. Thanks M$. :huh:

Errgh! :wacko:

http://www.tliquest.net/software/rsp/

I read somewhere XP loads a maximum of 4mb of the registry at any one time. Win2k will load it all, and I don't know for Win2k3.

• 4 weeks later...
Check if something called toolstore is available in your country; it still exists in France but not anymore in the US. (they send everything from Ireland)

That might be something like the Action Pack subscription...you have to get it in a roundabout way (through your work is a good way) but its around $200 a year and has a bucketload of software. 10 copies (keys) of many of their mainsteam packages (xp, 64, office) and single copies of the server oriented things. If you have even 2 computers it pays for itself right away though.

Its meant for 'internal use only' and similar things but I'd say that would apply to many people in these forums.

hey x-pert, thanks for taking a test drive.

after appling 2003-key-killer disappeared Search's task pane, just blank blue pane. Is it normal?

i don't see what you mean. i am looking at a vm right now with the inf cleaner applied and i dont see anything abnormal. the search pane looks fine to me. email me a screenshot if you could. thanks

(fixed i think.)

new post to 'bump' this topic to announce an updated 2003 reg cleaner.

this WILL kill internet explorer so only use it in a virtual machine (for those of you interested in following the work). if trying it out, tell me of any anomalies. i do check but the more folks checking, the better.

i have something like 400kb of keys to go through but i really am making progress, albeit slowly.

by the way.

did everyone check out the win2k without ie versus with ie and versus xp comparison i set up?

http://www.vorck.com/memorysavings.html

i am hoping to get a similar result for 2003, using my registry files and tommyp's reduction sets.

Edited by fdv

Didn't you also make a graph recently that compared feature sets to 'competing' projects? I found that, as well as your mem shots, very interesting.

These products look like the makings of a great marketing campaign!

• 1 month later...

I edited shell32.dll with ResHacker and I found something really interesting. It seems the dll can be registered (you know, regsvr32.exe thing) and when it is registered, it adds a lot of things to the registry.

It should be possible to edit the section in ResHacker. :)

(will post more details tomorrow)

I said I would post more details:

I never understood why I had some CDBurning things in my registry after nlite. See this screenshot:

1118zh.th.png

Also, inside reshacker, search for:

[RegOpenWithStuff]

HKCR,".tar","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".TGZ","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".GZ","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".Z","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".zip","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".wmz","PerceivedType",,"compressed"
HKCR,".wsz","PerceivedType",,"compressed"

What is the use of having these files perceived as compressed files when Windows has nothing to read .tgz, .z, .z files ?

Also, if you install a file archiver you don't need this either.

Now if you search for:

[RegAdvancedOptions]

you will find many tweaks, for example:

HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","Type",,"checkbox"
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","Text",,%DESC_HideFileExt%
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","HKeyRoot",%REGDW%,0x80000001
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","RegPath",,"%PATH_EXPLORER%\Advanced"
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","ValueName",,"HideFileExt"
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","CheckedValue",%REGDW%,0x00000001
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","UncheckedValue",%REGDW%,0x00000000
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","DefaultValue",%REGDW%,0x00000001
HKLM,"%ADV_FOLDER%\HideFileExt","HelpID",,"%SHELL_HLP%#51101"

By the way, notice how many lines are needed for this! (500B only for this)

And last, at the end of this, you can find more than 300 different CLSIDs.

Maybe that nlite's forum will be more appropriate. ;)

Edited by Camarade_Tux

well, i dunno -- remember that nlite's specialty is file/component removal, not registry editing.

editing the registry in windows 2000 makes a huge difference because windows loads the whole thing.

editing the registry in 2003 doesn't make a huge impact (it is NOT loaded completely into the page pool) except making the shell a little more responsive (in other words, calls to things in the registry are never completed if the keys are missing, so control returns to the OS faster) and the biggie -- registry editing makes certain junk completely nonfunctional. IE won't even work after my regkiller, whether or not the files are there.

i have to repost the file because i am at work and don't have the latest version. it is going to be integrated into TommyP's reduction set, which i am very pleased to say is coming along amazingly well, he's overcome some major errors the OS used to throw out. i will also be sure to add your edits, Camarade_Tux... thanks for the additions.

Btw, I'll probably test my "modded" shell32.dll (removed cursors, reg keys, some animations) and see how it impacts performance, memory usage and registry size.

Should I also check if it makes windows buggy ? :D

And, I just checked something else :

DESC_CDStagingFolder	= "Dossier de travail du Bureau pour l'écriture de CD"

With these editings, I hope I will reduce amount of bytes read on startup, let windows place more files into cache (or the same number with reduced mem usage). And I guess windows loads the whole registry before unloading some parts. Moreover, some of the keys I pointed out are used by explorer.exe and thus are maybe kept in memory.

PS: nlite also modifies hives.

That's strange : it seems XPize'd shell32.dll results in the smallest memory footprint, modded Xpize'd shell32.dll comes in second and vanilla one has the biggets memory usage.

As for the registry size : they seem to be the sames. :/

But how could a xpize'd shell32.dll have lower memory usage than an MS one ??

:/

As for the registry size : they seem to be the sames. :/

Don't forget, the registry cleaner for windows 2003 does absolutely nothing at all for Windows XP...