Install Windows x64 with BartPE and WinPE - How To

TonyPE

A few questions:

When you start an install with syspart and makelocalsource, does it leave the local source files on the drive after setup has completed? Where does it leave them?

Does it set the registry values to point to the local source as the SourcePath, or does it still refer to the CD?

After you run winnt32.exe from the PE environment and reboot (to start text setup from the HDD), do you need the CD anymore? Or can it be removed from the cd rom drive?

I tried your program and the only thing I had a problem with is that your program requires a OEMFilesPath= in the unattend where as MS seems to indicate its optional.

Since my $OEM$ folders are under the /platform folder, I've never specified them with a OEMFilesPath=

Otherwise, a nice program.

Thank you, and you are correct. As a workaround, you can specify an empty folder for OEMFilesPath. I'll fix this in the next release.

When you start an install with syspart and makelocalsource, does it leave the local source files on the drive after setup has completed? Where does it leave them?

No, just as Windows setup does not.

Does it set the registry values to point to the local source as the SourcePath, or does it still refer to the CD?

It still refers to the CD. I use a .REG file to change the source to a network share on my installations.

After you run winnt32.exe from the PE environment and reboot (to start text setup from the HDD), do you need the CD anymore? Or can it be removed from the cd rom drive?

Once the ManualWindowsSetup.EXE program exits, the CD is no longer needed and can be removed at any time thereafter.

FYI, my scripts reboot the system after ManualWindowsSetup.EXE finishes. I use a bootable CD with the "Press any key to boot from CD" patch, so I don't need to be around to eject the disk.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

i'm very interested about the solution to stage a 64bit Server with a 32bit PE Session.

The solution from TonyPE with a compiled .exe seems to be a possible way, but i do like to have the source code, before i stage my servers with this tool.

I've try to contact TonyPE but he does not answer me.

Has anybody the sourcecode or the batchfiles (Before he has compiled as a native app)?

Thank you very much!

Greets

Just make an x64 version of WinPE 2.0 and install from it.

Follow one of the tutorials within the forums, but use the AMD64 folders instead of the x86 folders.

Also, if the OS won't boot after initial setup, then check this article out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760

You don't have to call Microsoft for the patch. Just edit your PE registry according to the article before using DISKPART to create your partitions.

Hi killerbi255,

I'm sorry but you have not read my text... I need a solutions to stage a windows 64bit Version with a Windows PE 32bit Version.

I can't work with a PE 64bit because the code of my other applications isn't 64bit ready.

Windows PE 64 has no WOW64 on board, therefore I can't start my own applications.

Ok, again:

Has anybody the sourcecode of ManualWindowsSetup.exe or the batch files?

Thanks again.

Greets, Iceman

Hi killerbi255,

I'm sorry but you have not read my text... I need a solutions to stage a windows 64bit Version with a Windows PE 32bit Version.

I can't work with a PE 64bit because the code of my other applications isn't 64bit ready.

Windows PE 64 has no WOW64 on board, therefore I can't start my own applications.

Ok, again:

Has anybody the sourcecode of ManualWindowsSetup.exe or the batch files?

Thanks again.

Greets, Iceman

Version 1 is here (not really "hidden" ;) ) :

http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/tools/

http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/tools/ManualWindowsSetup1.zip

Besides being compiled, version 2.0 coorected bugs of version 1.0, so, without TonyPE's support, you might need to directly correct them in the .wsh, if those bugs affect your particular setup.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I know this is a very old post but I was wondering if anyone still has these files that TonyPE has mentioned, or whether anyone knows of anyway to initiate a 64bit Windows 2003 unattended build using BartPE.

cdob, you are a genious! Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, I will give this a go and hopefully will work the way I hope. that way I wont have to scrap an entire automated build structure and start from scratch. once again Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So seeing cdob was a genius to solve my last 64 bit issue, heres yet another:

Currently I am expanding on a automated O/S deployment tool inherited by another group at my company where the startup means to deploy is by using BartPE. I know this is a 32 bit preinstall and maybe a bit outdated but it's simple and easy to modify and in making long stories shirt, it runs quite nicely for what we need. Currently it deploys W2k, W2k3 x86 and x64, and 2k8 x86 with all needed apps and updates through specialized scripts. So now here is the dilema I am now faced with overcoming, the issue is with 2008 x64. I am able to start the setup and it will copy down and start the setup of all the needed files, but the issue is when it does it's reboot, it will reboot and display the following error:

\boot\bcd 0xc000000f

I know this probibly has to do with the fact that it was initaited from a 32bit preinstall and the boot records were set for 32bit and not the 64bit its trying to boot from. I have tried using MBRFIX but to no avail. I have also tried fixing it based on booting from the original DVD and doing the recovery option to automatically fix it. This does work but only for 1 reboot and the message is displayed again. Besides using the repair disk is not an option when doing the unattended build.

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to abandon our current BartPE setup as everything else is running nicely.

Hey Jazkal,

I called up the following command via batch script:

z:\w2k8aiosp1\distribution\setup.exe /installfrom:z:w2k8aiosp1\distribution\sources\install.wim /unattended:z:\answerfiles\win2k8\2008std_64b.xml

I should mention that this command is based on me merging the 2 seperate disks (x86 and x64) together into one install.wim

Previuosly I called it up the same way I did with 2003 by the seperate O/S folders such as this:

z:\w2k8std32sp1\setup.exe /installfrom:z:w2k8std64sp1\sources\install.wim /unattended:z:\answerfiles\win2k8_64\2008std_64b.xml