Any CISSP's?

leviathan

Does MSFN have anyone hanging around with a CISSP? I'm looking to certify and would like to hear about your thoughts about the test, study materials, etc.

Any help, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--Leviathan

I plan on taking it within 4 or 5 months. However I can't provide you with good information, since I'm currently more worried about other certifications.

One good forum for all kinds of IT related Certifications I always recommend is mcmcse.com. Check it out.

No problem. The site is REALLY good, and if you'r looking into get Certified (Microsoft, CISCO, or some of the others), it has some great study guides and pratice exams.

The forums are also full of good information and good people.

As for the double post, no problem, a MOD will delete. :)

Gouki, how are you going about getting your CISSP? Are you going to go to a review seminar, bootcamp, or self study? I'm a college student, and I don't think I can afford a $4500 bootcamp.

I want to start with getting CompTIA A+, Security+, and Network+. Then I'll move into the MCSE + Security+, CISSP, CISM, CCNA, CCSP, and the Certified Ethical Hacker. Self-study seems to be the way I am going to go. Any recommendations on books that you've liked?

--Leviathan

Hello. I am also a student, however, studying for certifications.

I started my 'path' by going heads first on Microsoft exams, not suck a bright idea. I became MCP and then I changed to CompTIA. I have A+ and Network+ and planning on taking Server+ and Security+ within a month, max.

For my Microsoft path MCSE, I choosed to have classes, wich now I now is not such a good thing, as for the others (CompTIA, CISCO, CWNP) I'm doing it all by self-study.

As for the Books, you can check what had the best rating on mcmcse.com site. They dont have all the certifications there, but, from what they do have, they are pretty good at giving opinions.

As for the 'path' ur thinking about, I agree. I think your making the right call because, having certain combinations of CompTIA exams with Microsoft, gives you the ability of becoming MCSA Security, or even MCSA without even have to take the Microsoft exams.

I suggest you ask on mcmcse.com, they can give you more precise information on how to 'merge' certifications from CompTIA to Microsoft.

Hope I could help.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as some of you guys. I work full time and will be starting on on my Master's degree in I.T. in June. I am trying to get some computer certifications under my belt and have been doing the approach that leviathan has been doing. I am starting with the CompTIA exams first and then moving to Microsoft or Cisco. I have been studying the Security+ book for about a month. I finished it and have been doing practice questions. What did you guys that have taken the test think? Is it hard?

How were the A+ and Network+ exams? What did you guys use to study for those? I have been using sybex books so far but I haven't taken any tests so far so I don't want to go the wrong rought.

Also is the Server+ and Linux+ exams worth taking?

A+ and Network+ are *easy*! If you have a little background, you'll have those done with no problems.

As for the Security+ exam, I'll have to say that has nothing to do with A+ and Network+ in terms of difficulty. It's a harder area by 'default', however, if you have a little bit of knowleadge of Information Security and study for 2 or 3 different books, there will be no problem.

About the Server+ and Linux+.

Server+, wich I wanted to do, is VERY hardware based. I even bought the book from ExamCram, but I sould it after 2 day's of study. Not my thing. If you into Hardware, go for it. It's a certifications that has not been very famous, and maybe because of that, can be good to your curriculum.

Linux+ is a tottaly different thing. I am Windows Fanboy and I never really liked Linux (old distros at least) and I am currently studying for that certification.

Linux is getting more into bussiness the last couple of years, and because of that, having a certain level of knowleadge about it, wich will be provided by your study for the exam, can be a good thing.

Remember that the Linux+ is very hard. I heard people that have been working with Linux for a couple of years and failed the first time that they took the exam. So if your going for it, study allot.

About how to study for certifications, I have to remember you that BRAINDUMPS WILL NOT HELP YOU IN ANYWAY!

Do allot of exam simulators and study for 2 or 3 different books. This way you will not be limited to a authors point of view and will get you better prepared for the exam.

P.S: I am currently adding 100 more question to the Security+ simulator over at MCMCSE.com. I'm still writting them, but I think I'll be over in a week. Check it out :)

I will check it out. I registered there and never got an email confirmation. I need to click on the link in it to get confirmed so I can post. Still waiting...

Thanks for the advice on the exams. I read the security book once through and am taking the practice exams now. I will start studying for the A+ and Network+ exams and hopefully knock all three out by the end of May. I have been in this field for a few years now but I guess I just have first time jitters from taking my first cert exam.

I'm not sure if I will go for Server+. I guess I'd have to check it out some more. I'm favoring the CompTIA exams because they are pay once and certify for life sort of deal so it might not be bad to just take the test and hang on to it.

Linux+ - From what you said, I think I will just install Linux on a VM and just start using it full time until I get fairly used to it. I'll just plan to take the test much later in the year so I can get a good grasp of it. I know a decent amount of linux. I ran my own webpage off my xbox for about a year so I know basic commands and how to install programs and troubleshoot. I've never really used it as a desktop before.

After I finish these CompTIA exams, where do you suggest I go next as far as certifications? Microsoft or Cisco? or others?

Thanks again for your help.

Bobby

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with your profissional life.

The path I choose for me was:

Microsoft (I had classes for MCSE), CompTIA (home study only), CWNP (wireless technologies certifications - home study) and I plan on taking Cisco after Im done with the 3 previous areas (CCNA and CCDA home study only. CCNP, CCDP and CCSP with classes).

I would problably go with Microsoft after your done with CompTIA. It's easyer than Cisco if your going to the long run (MCSE +S vs CCNP or CCSP).

I would caution against the CISSP. It requires a lot of studying about things you're not likely to need in real world environments. The luster of that certification is starting to dull as well. It's very expensive to take and then if you do somehow pass it, you need to make it a part time job getting credits for recert or study once again for the exam.

My friend who I consult with got his CISSP a couple of years ago and his main preperation was the Shon Harris DVD set. I've watched them as well and can tell you that they're incredible. So if you do decide that this is what you want to go for, I'd recommend her DVDs.

I spend a few years chasing down certifications, studying and so on. And I have a few of the CompTIA certs and a couple of the Microsoft certs. Overall I found it to be a waste of time. You're better off spending any free time you have going out and getting some real world experience. Even if that means doing some volunteer work someplace. What you learn through doing is much more valuble than what you learn through chasing certs. Remember, the people who put out these exams (Microsoft, Cisco, etc) often are not so much concerned with the right way of doing things, but rather their way of doing things.

When chosing a cert, try to get some that are really recognized and standard like CCNA. CompTIA is nice because theirs never expire, but honestly just about anyone can get A+ or Network+ with a week or two of hitting the books.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that coming ...

The problem with certifications is that allot of people are into it. Most of them have 0 knowledge of what they're doing, still, use brain dumps and complete the exam. This is a terrible way of getting certified since it will only take value out of certifications.

I saw a MCSE +S telling (and laughing about it), that when he got his first job he didn't know how to map a network drive!

If I got the *top* Microsoft certification under my belt and couldn't map a network drive, I WOULD NOT BE LAUGHING!

Off course that employers prefer to hire a guy who does not have a Microsoft certificate and is able to do the job then this MCSE +S.

Certifications, used in a proper way, are a 'tool' that enables us to show other people that we know what we are doing. If that tool is misused, everyone [who is certified] will lose with it.

There will not be a solution to this problem. Certifications will get harder and harder every time and brain dumps will continue to be used like study material. Simulation on a exam are a way of fighting that, however, I'm not a big fan of that.

There may be X ways of doing something, but most simulations only count 1 as the correct.