[beta] User Creation Tool

This is embarrassing ... Lesson learned, always test a lot before releasing something ...

It turns out that if I use a timeout of 30sec, as in Ulrih's case, the timeout fails. However if I use 10 or 20 or 60 it works. The real problem was hidden away in the code that calculates the position of the count-down bar which results after a few simple math operations to a negative value in some cases. Unfortunately for me the condition to start execution after the countdown is over expects to have a value of zero ...

Long story short, I think I fixed it so I am updating the first post yet again!

Thanks Ulrih for trying out several times the different versions! Hopefully this one works flawlessly for you as well :)

Updated first post to v.1.8.3

v.1.8.3

• Fixed (again!) timeout code

Enjoy!

CF

Edited by cancerface

Greetings cancerface

It is not necessary to be confused, the one who does nothing is not mistaken.

Has started to test v.1.8.3. Has noticed still pair of glitches - at installation in INI AutoLogon=0

In the interface checkbox remains noted, and at attempt to create the user with a name existing in system to be deduced the error and goes in cycles...

That is not a glitch Ulrich, but a feature.

You have ForcedLogon=1 either at the [securityInfo] section or at one of the MACOverride sections, so AutoLogon is set to 1 as well (if you try to force a logon without having autologon on then the call will fail!)

CF

I believed that here such options should remove an autologon in any case, but it on occurs.

[interface]

MACAddressOveridesSections=0

ParseSecuritySection=0

[userInfo]

AutoLogon=0

@Ulrich

Yes that doesn't sound right ...

After a close look it appears that AutoLogon would be set to 'on' for strange reasons. This value is tied to ForcedLogon as well as the Parse directives.

Long story short, it would not behave.

I am releasing yet another version of this program:

v.1.8.4

• Fixed AutoLogon (combination of parameters would result in AutoLogon being 'on' although it would be explicitly set to 'off')

Updated first post to v.1.8.4

Enjoy!

CF

Hello cancerface

The program works normally, errors any more has not found. I leave in long business trip, and I will not have a possibility to test it. But you can watch use of the program at the Russian users at our forum of automatic installation Windows.

Yours faithfully and gratitude Ulrih.

Hi cancerface !

Two questions:

1. Will this also work on Vista ?

2. Would it be possible for you to add a feature that changes the default system folders of the user one creates using your tool ? I mean folders like "My documents, my Video, audio, pictures, Desktop, Favorites" etc. This would be especially useful for Vista. On Windows XP one could use Wihu for that but there is nothing available for Vista that does something like it.

Thanks,

ALex

@midiboy

I have not used Vista nor have I access to it so I cannot really tell you how the program will behave there ...

Judging from the amount of security issues that I see on the NSIS development forum I would say that it would not work at its current status, but then again I have no way of checking this.

Folder redirection is a matter of changing registry entries which is easy to implement and I had thought about it in the past, however everything breaks when the order of mounted drives changes and as such I have not added that option. For example, in my setup, at T13/12 there is a certain layout for my HDD which changes at GUIRunOnce, but my user is created at T12 so any folders that would be associated with the user's profile are bogus after a few reboots based on the new layout (assuming that the folders are not on 'C')

CF

Well cancerface, I will inform the author addon with your utility. But I wish to inform you that, he creates the addon in the form of the designer where the program is added from your site (is given the reference to a file with your program) on the computer of each separate user, and then, in the course of integration into the distribution kit, gathers in SYSOC addon, and only after that it is integrated into distribution kit Windows.

Edited by Ulrih

cancerface, I wish to throw to you idea!

In some programs of such type there is a possibility to change IP, DNS, and a gateway. Sometimes it happens useful. If you have time, and you will consider it interesting - consider possibility of inclusion of such parametres in the program. Poorly? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi cancerface.

Think, can you will try to finish the program to possibility of full detour OOBE, after all it is necessary to add only a field for input of a key of a product and section for change of network options.

Ulrih

• 4 months later...