Want to add more hotfixes and need instructions

tacoeater

My first Cd produced for XP Pro worked just fine but I cannot find anything specific about what to do when I want to make a newer Cd with a few more hotfixes. I started out with a SP2 (slipstreamed last year) and then downloaded everything I wanted and produced the CD. Now that I want to add a few more hotfixes do I copy SOURCESS directory to SOURCE? Do I empty the HF folder since those hotfixes are slipped and only put in the new ones? Hope I have posted in the right section.

Thanks for your great program and thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings, tacoeater, and welcome to the forum :hello:!

HFSLIP runs on a clean source. That means you need to have the original SOURCE folder present and rerun HFSLIP with the new hotfixes as well as the old ones in the HF folder.

Hope this helps :thumbup.

Hope I have posted in the right section.
Yes you have :D!

- Super-Magician :)

Edited by Super-Magician

I was asking myself a similar question earlier...do I have to delete SOURCESS before running HFSLIP? I know that the ISO gets written over but I'm not sure what happens to SOURCESS. I always delete SOURCESS before I run HFSLIP but it would make life a bit simpler if I knew that I could safely skip it.

@taco: once your SOURCES is good to go use Tomcat's excellent page to determine what other files need to go where.

Edited by TAiN

tacoeater... It's as Super-Magician says... You have to start over again though you can use XPSP2 as the base in the SOURCE folder. It only takes 10 minutes...

@TAiN: It's deleted automatically unless you run a special test mode.

Thanks for the quick replies. Then the SOURCESS folder is emptied automatically, that's good. One thing I will do different this time is to not include the MP10 cause I don't want someone upset about no playlist! I had not seen that. Think isle take out the genuine thing also since you gotta download it again anyway. The only thing I just did not understand was the windows update thing which was the only critical i had to do with my new cd. What do I need to include this time so even that will be slipped?

Again, I was so very pleased with the program. Thanks.

Alan

Depends on what didn't get slipstreamed and which update site you were using. The link in TAiN's post or in my sig explains which components are needed for which service (Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Office Update or Windows Update Catalog).

You can use the WMP10 addon by RyanVM. It even contains Windows Media Connect 2.0 and several hotfixes:

http://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=879

I was working on this myself about a week ago and I got a rough draft going (for implementation into the HFSLIP script) for Win2K and WinXP. It integrates WMP9/10, WMP9/10 codecs and the Classic skin if it exists in the source. I just didn't have the time to continue testing it. The wmp6 codecs are on my to do list too.

Thanks Tomcat,

the missing update i was referring to is the one which downloads when windows says it is checking to see if you have the right software for the update site.

Then the things i want to include after that are 912945, 904942, 912475 and 902344. I had 829019 but marked that one off my list for some reason. If one of these is useless just let me know.

With all the good advice you have provided (all of you) i should be ok but i want to know what i am supposed to be looking for for that first missing thing for windows update.

thanks

Edited by tacoeater

With Windows XP, you need Windows Update Agent 2.0, Package Installer and Windows Genuine Advantage. You can find the download links on my site. The first two go in the HF folder and the latter goes in HFCABS.

You can use the WMP10 addon by RyanVM. It even contains Windows Media Connect 2.0 and several hotfixes:

http://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=879

I was working on this myself about a week ago and I got a rough draft going (for implementation into the HFSLIP script) for Win2K and WinXP. It integrates WMP9/10, WMP9/10 codecs and the Classic skin if it exists in the source. I just didn't have the time to continue testing it. The wmp6 codecs are on my to do list too.

Please let me make sure of things here..

As far as I can understand RyanVM's WMP10 addon includes 911564 so I do not need it in my HF folder. How about WindowsMedia10-KB911565-x86-ENU.exe which is not included in RyanVM's addon? Will it be correctly slipstreamed into the source if I put it in the HF folder with RyanVM's WMP10 addon in HFAAO folder?

Thanks in advance!