Gigabyte IRAM

gdogg

Well I am probbally getting an Iram, with 1GB at first, probally will use it for a paging file.

then get the other 3GB , and then maybe a second one and raid them together. That way i can install windows, pagefile, temp files, and a game.

any other uses, anyone can think of that, would benifit from a ramdrive?

Sorry, what's Iram?
Go to the Gigabyte site and check it out ;)

@gdogg:

Systemfiles would be the best, for the SWAP-file it would be better if you just trow in more RAM in the motherboard sockets. (Bâshrat the Sneaky is saying the same with other words ;) )

Edited by puntoMX

Does it keep data on power off like a real solid state drive or is it just an expensive ram disk? If it keeps data I just might have to pick 2 of those up and make a sweet sata raid array just for a system disk :D

It would be smarter to first extend your system's "true RAM" to its maximum first: it's ALOT faster than the i-RAM, which is limited to the PCI bus' speed.

i.e.: it's better to have 2GB of system RAM than 1GB of system RAM + 1 GB of i-RAM-RAM: then you've got 2 'fast GigaBytes' instead of 1 fast and 1 slow.

Does it keep data on power off like a real solid state drive or is it just an expensive ram disk? If it keeps data I just might have to pick 2 of those up and make a sweet sata raid array just for a system disk :D

yes, it has a battery

aegis , very true, microwinX gets 8sec on an ata 100 8MB cache drive.

I play on using microwinX on this, so windows will be about 50MB , so , I think ill get a 2gb for the ram drive at first, add 2 gb later, and use one for booting windows on, and a page file, and older games, that are about 3GB

Edited by gdogg

Put your swapfile on it. Even if it's not as fast as main memory, it's still much faster than an actual hard drive.

Did you ever see that thing?

Just max 1500MB/s, your normal RAM will do better then that, just trow in a 2GB or 4GB(XP64/2003) and you have the best optimalisation for your swap-file :P

Edit: Jeremy, you beat me with that one... ;) I needed to use 12 minutes to type it while eating.

Edited by puntoMX