Win 98SE not seeing all the RAM...

adam9275

The Bios detects all three dimms, even in the boot screens (32, 32, and 64 respectively). I'm not sure where or how to run this MEMTEST86. Let me know.

Also, I did not alter any system.ini file. Basically I let windows detect everything. Everything else is running fine and I have downloaded all available updates for hardware and software. This is the last thing which needs fixing. Appreciate the quick responses....

My mistake. In the Bios it reads:

Base Memory: 640KB

Extd Memory: 63MB

I'm assuming the 63MB is the RAM. Yet, in the post test, it seems to detect what I explained in an earlier post. Strange. Win98 still says only 64MB. Perhaps it's the order the RAM is installed on the mobo? Outdated Bios version? No idea. Any tips?

Oh, and there is no onboard video...mobo is a Tomato CreateLX-AT / Intel 440LX AGP Pentium II 6DLX from 1996.

I'd still like to know what that MemTest86 is...please explain.

Base Memory: 640KB

I'm assuming the 63MB is the RAM. Yet, in the post test, it seems to detect what I explained in an earlier post. Strange. Win98 still says only 64MB. Perhaps it's the order the RAM is installed on the mobo? Outdated Bios version? No idea. Any tips?

So BIOS shows 64 MB, Windows 98 shows 64 MB, so there is no problem with Windows 98, right?
Oh, and there is no onboard video...mobo is a Tomato CreateLX-AT / Intel 440LX AGP Pentium II 6DLX from 1996.

I'd still like to know what that MemTest86 is...please explain.

eidenk already told you. Is it so big problem to click the link? There is clearly written: "Memtest86 is thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. "

In summary, you have problem with your hardware, not with Windows 98, so this is not the right place to ask for help, maybe this place would be better: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=5

Petr

That means that your computer is only seeing 63 mb of memory so it appears that it is not a windows problem. It must be a hardware problem.
Now I'm really lost. What is this Google you speak of?

Google is a search engine and probably the most popular one. www.google.com

mobo is a Tomato CreateLX-AT / Intel 440LX AGP Pentium II 6DLX from 1996

With that motherboard I am sure that you should be useing low density ram. That is the first thing I would check. Also try switching the ram around to different slots and see if that makes a difference.

One last thing. In my opinion it is always better to use matching memory sticks although it is certainatly not a requirement you will have far less problems that way.

That means that your computer is only seeing 63 mb of memory so it appears that it is not a windows problem. It must be a hardware problem.

Now I'm really lost. What is this Google you speak of?
Google is a search engine and probably the most popular one. www.google.com
mobo is a Tomato CreateLX-AT / Intel 440LX AGP Pentium II 6DLX from 1996

With that motherboard I am sure that you should be useing low density ram. That is the first thing I would check. Also try switching the ram around to different slots and see if that makes a difference.

One last thing. In my opinion it is always better to use matching memory sticks although it is certainatly not a requirement you will have far less problems that way.

1996? Pentium IIs didn't even exist back then, AFAIK.

I've finally found the solution because of everyone's help. Thanks again.

It was one module which was single sided; the others were double sided. 96 MB should suffice instead of 128 MB. Should have spotted this long ago...