Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

Hi madboy, can i use Driver pro-s from usb pen?

I get this error...

driverpro.jpg

here my hardware config

<drivers>

<drivers_method>New</drivers_method>

<drivers_database_use>No</drivers_database_use>

<drivers_database_recreate>No</drivers_database_recreate>

<drivers_database_path>$ProgramDir\hardware_database.db</drivers_database_path>

<drivers_directory_path>RELATIVE:\Drivers</drivers_directory_path>

<drivers_packed>No</drivers_packed>

<drivers_copy>No</drivers_copy>

<drivers_copy_path>C:\DriversTest</drivers_copy_path>

<drivers_copy_delete>No</drivers_copy_delete>

- <options>

Thank you

Ok I have isolated the problem. First, got rid of the WMI error. Help and Support is now included in the source and the program starts fine. Yeah!

There are two issues pending:

- The buttons don't get pressed at the PnP stage because of the internet driver update prompt. The log (debug mode) shows it. The ONLY button that is auto-pressed is Finalizar (Finalize). Note: this is a Spanish Windows XP.

- Updating drivers runs, but does not update. I have in fact updated drivers for Via Rhine Ethernet card but it does not install. The same happens with C-Media Sound.

I found the following: If the .inf has some hardware ID without "&subsys" string it does not install. I had to edit the .inf and add the subsys string, after that it was picked up by the program.

Example:

VEN_1106&DEV_3108

Does not install driver.

VEN_1106&DEV_3108&SUBSYS_31081414 installs fine.

The program should not look at the subsys. Let Windows figure it out. Or else, I would have to edit some of my .infs?

I will add the log (had to zip it, was very large) and xml file so you can have a look. We are nearly there. If you succeed, I will worship you forever. :yes:

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

hardware_config.xml

hardware.zip

Hi madboy, can i use Driver pro-s from usb pen?

I get this error...

driverpro.jpg

here my hardware config

<drivers>

<drivers_method>New</drivers_method>

<drivers_database_use>No</drivers_database_use>

<drivers_database_recreate>No</drivers_database_recreate>

<drivers_database_path>$ProgramDir\hardware_database.db</drivers_database_path>

<drivers_directory_path>RELATIVE:\Drivers</drivers_directory_path>

<drivers_packed>No</drivers_packed>

<drivers_copy>No</drivers_copy>

<drivers_copy_path>C:\DriversTest</drivers_copy_path>

<drivers_copy_delete>No</drivers_copy_delete>

- <options>

Thank you

You can. You have to either use RELATIVE:\Drivers where RELATIVE means that program resides on the same drive that Drivers directory is. Or you can use REMOVABLE:\Drivers which should point to usb pendrive in drivers_directory_path.

Ok I have isolated the problem. First, got rid of the WMI error. Help and Support is now included in the source and the program starts fine. Yeah!

There are two issues pending:

- The buttons don't get pressed at the PnP stage because of the internet driver update prompt. The log (debug mode) shows it. The ONLY button that is auto-pressed is Finalizar (Finalize). Note: this is a Spanish Windows XP.

- Updating drivers runs, but does not update. I have in fact updated drivers for Via Rhine Ethernet card but it does not install. The same happens with C-Media Sound.

I found the following: If the .inf has some hardware ID without "&subsys" string it does not install. I had to edit the .inf and add the subsys string, after that it was picked up by the program.

Example:

VEN_1106&DEV_3108

Does not install driver.

The program should not look at the subsys. Let Windows figure it out. Or else, I would have to edit some of my .infs?

I will add the log (had to zip it, was very large) and xml file so you can have a look. We are nearly there. If you succeed, I will worship you forever. :yes:

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

Please try the newest version 2.0.0.26. It's in the projects directory. Hardware wizard is fine. The problem is that within different languages there are different chars underlined.

For example Finalize has probably letter F underlined like Finalize, but for words Next etc it may have e, x or t underlined. Then such word becomes N&ext if e is underlined or Ne&xt if x is underlined. For Finalize the word looks like &Finalize so there's no problem as partial matching works. Anyways to cut the problems with having to type & at correct place or to include it at all I've fixed so that & is stripped from the button text when doing matching so hardware wizard should work now fine without any additional change from your side.

For your other problem I'll have to look deeper. Will post again soon ;-)

You can. You have to either use RELATIVE:\Drivers where RELATIVE means that program resides on the same drive that Drivers directory is. Or you can use REMOVABLE:\Drivers which should point to usb pendrive in drivers_directory_path.

I have tried both solutions but always same error

i have all in a directory RELATIVE switch should point to Driver directory...

driverpro2.jpg

Edited by jinkazama

I have tried both solutions but always same error

i have all in a directory RELATIVE switch should point to Driver directory...

driverpro2.jpg

It's incorrect. RELATIVE means it's only RELATIVE disk drive letter so what program is looking at when you have RELATIVE:\Drivers is M:\Drivers. Since you've put it in M:\Driver PRO-S the correct path in .xml is RELATIVE:\Driver PRO-S\Drivers or REMOVABLE:\Driver PRO-S\Drivers.

Btw. I've noticed you have some icon next to it (diffrent icon). May i ask why? :-) Also it seems like nice Icon. Maybe you want to share. If it looks good here I could replace the standard one I am using :-)

Example:

VEN_1106&DEV_3108

Does not install driver.

By updating drivers you mean Update All xml entry ? If yes then it doesn't work for simple reason. By using new way of finding drivers it searches for only those devices that have error codes. So if 3 devices have errors, 3 .inf's will get added to registry. I'll think how to make it work better. Probably will have to list all hwids from all devices added to system and then compare that with db and then add that entries to registry. I'll add it to ToDo list.

If it's some other problem you have lemme know and I should investigate.

Escorpiom i've just checked your logs further and it seems P&P won't work 100% for you anyway.

This is because of first window having:

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button count:8

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 1 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button1]

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 1 button_text:&Sí, sólo esta vez

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 2 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button2]

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 2 button_text:Sí, a&hora y cada vez que conecte un dispositivo

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 3 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button3]

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 3 button_text:&No por el momento

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 7 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button7]

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 7 button_text:Cancelar

which translates to something like check on internet .. i guess to go further you have to pres No por el momento ? or what do you press here ?

Yep Madboy, that's right.

First pops the Internet update wizard, it does that because the system is already connected to the net at that stage.

So first I check the option "No por el momento" and press the button "Siguiente" if I remember correctly.

Then, another option presents itself: Instalar automáticamente el software (recomendado)

Or

Instalar desde una lista o ubicación específica

I select Automaticamente and yes, finally the driver is installed.

There is a registry patch to disable the Internet driver update prompt. I searched for it but only Nlite seems to have that option. My last build does not have that activated.

Would like to get rid of that darn Internet update prompt. Never use that anyway. You might have some tips?

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

Manual way to disable searching for drivers on Windows update:

The required driver is missing when you are installing a device. Windows XP Prompts you to go online and search for the driver using Windows Updates. However, experience tell you that is absolutely useless and will only be adding to your hassle.

Usually a driver is included on a CD provided with the device you have purchased. If this is not the case for some reason, you can always download the software from the device manufacturer's website. Why not disable the unnecessary request to search for drivers when you can install them much faster yourself.

The Go to : "Start > Run" and type "gpedit.msc"(without quotes) and navigate to:

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System

Section on the left pane of the window. Now choose and double click on "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt". In the window that appears, chosse "Disable" and apply the settings.

Registry way (can be automated, most likely this will end up in tool as option): http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1217/

Edited by MadBoy

Madboy, I made a reg entry for that in my reg tweaks file. It will be processed at T-12.

SET KEY=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
REG ADD "%KEY% /V NoDevMgrUpdate /T REG_DWORD /D 00000001 /F

Will this work to disable the Internet update prompt?

Found the group policy entry also, but manual disabling is not an option I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

I would check if it works when you apply it in windows manually. If it does then it should work at T12.

See if this helps:

Go to Start menu, right-click on Computers and click Properties. On the left sidebar of the System dialog box, select Advanced System Settings. Now navigate to Hardware tab and click Windows Update Driver Settings. Not sure if this exists on Win Xp as i use 7 for now. Lemme know if it's there. If the switch is there try playing with applying the setting in reg.

Seems like vista http://malektips.com/vista-windows-update-device-driver.html but might be in XP too, can't find it in 7.

Edited by MadBoy

The most annoying ting in computers is the fact that something seemingly easy results to be the opposite - so with this reg fix.

Disabling the windows driver update by Internet is controled by group policy. The reg fix I made has no effect whatsoever.

I did the trick with the hardware tab (yes it is there on XP but slightly different) and the changes made there were put in the registry under group policy.

I cannot export the key, as it is under a special random key, different for each system/user.

Pretty nasty. So far no solution found.

EDIT: Found the correct keys. These are the reg entries.

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchWindowsUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontPromptForWindowsUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchCD /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchFloppies /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

The Internet update wizard died today. Yeah!

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

Edited by Escorpiom