Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

Hi, my english is very bad :blushing: , i´m from argentina, i can´t make it work, i change the lenguage in the hardware wizard part of the settings but still not working, somebody help me, thanks

Which particular features doesn't work? All ? Just the Hardward Wizard "Next" pressing button or which exactly? Can you paste some logs? Can you past conifg file?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey MadBoy, I'd just like to say that I personally love your program. I've been looking for something like this for quite some time and fond yours to be the easiest to use (not requiring a huge script).

My only problem with it revolves around the Found New Hardware Wizard.

I use the OLD method cuz I could never really get the New method to work and Old does what I want it to do. I'm running this on english XP machines.

My problem is that the Found New Hardware Wizard stops the program from proceeding on automatic (which is the biggest reason I love this). I have to manually cancel out of all fnhw windows and then the program will continue on as it should. Once those windows are gone the program works beautifully. I have all the settings set to what it says on the first page, but is there a way to force all the fnhw closed/push cancel? If this feature could be implemented somehow it would be complete!

Hey MadBoy, I'd just like to say that I personally love your program. I've been looking for something like this for quite some time and fond yours to be the easiest to use (not requiring a huge script).

My only problem with it revolves around the Found New Hardware Wizard.

I use the OLD method cuz I could never really get the New method to work and Old does what I want it to do. I'm running this on english XP machines.

My problem is that the Found New Hardware Wizard stops the program from proceeding on automatic (which is the biggest reason I love this). I have to manually cancel out of all fnhw windows and then the program will continue on as it should. Once those windows are gone the program works beautifully. I have all the settings set to what it says on the first page, but is there a way to force all the fnhw closed/push cancel? If this feature could be implemented somehow it would be complete!

Hello xpboy24,

I must say i'm suprised that you want to cancel the window rather then push it thru. From my testing canceling the window wouldn't let the drivers to install properly. You sure it's working as you expect it too?

With regards,

MadBoy

Yup. If I use New method no drivers get installed, which is why I prefer Old. But using Old as long as there are NO fnhw windows up, the driver installation will continue on successfully. This becomes a problem in the initial and occasionally when I forget to add a driver for an unknown device or the wrong driver and the fnhw pops up again and thus stops the entire process midstream until I cancel out again. Of course if i'm running it on auto, I might not be paying attention all the time (perhaps initially for testing, but I've occasionally run into some models that are same model # but have 1 different part which causes a redetect), and thus fails.

I've found a workaround which seems to revolve around fnhw's need to use windows update initially. Your program, for me, used to never go beyond the fnhw and I never understood why truthfully (which also meant I never really understood the need for the fnhw section in your xml code either). If I disable "Use windows update for drivers" to never, then your program runs through the fnhw next-next-finish routine. I made a script that currently disables windows update driver check via registry and then re-enables it after driver installation. Is there a way so that Cancel is the first option used? If you say it interferes with the installation, is there a way to so that it chooses the "dont' use" option and then clicks next? I think the problem might be that there's no "default" option that gets automatically highlighted in the initial fnhw use windows update screen.

I am aware that new option doesn't work. It works in certain conditions but not for all HW_ID's due to some bug in the code. So it's better to use OLD option. As for the GUI manipulation, i could probably introduce "default" action in config and you would be able to choose either NEXT, NEXT, FINISH or CANCEL. I also want to add the code to set Windows Update off or on depending on user choice in config, and also non-gui option to disable driver signing. The problem is my time latly. I don't want to promise anything as i am extreamly busy at work programming big application. I am taking week off now so i will be off internet for that time. Talk to you when i get back.

I notice when set to use compressed, it does not sub-dir scan past provided dir for .7z (or .rar) files.

How possible will it be to implement doing detect for more dirs in defined primary dir to scan them for .7z and .rar?

I need to use compressed drivers, but would like to sub folder them based on name of motherboard.

I notice when set to use compressed, it does not sub-dir scan past provided dir for .7z (or .rar) files.

How possible will it be to implement doing detect for more dirs in defined primary dir to scan them for .7z and .rar?

I need to use compressed drivers, but would like to sub folder them based on name of motherboard.

Well in my opinion it wasn't needed. You just need to prepare .7z properly. For example create dir structure before packing it (including the mobo names etc) and then pack it. THat way you can put a lot of .7zip files inside one directory without needing subdirs. Then after unpacking you will get the right dir structure.

If it's not sufficient i guess it can be added to TODO list but maybe it will be suffcient tip ?

Well, I do feel sheepish for not having considered that solution.

I was attempting to make it easier to (if necessary) perform manual re-installs of components, without having to extract an entire motherboard set, but I will see how well this idea tests out.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes.

**Edit

So, it has gone well. Though, setting some sort of an instruction delay, (if you have it set to delete copied drivers) before it actually restarts the system would be nice, or did I miss something in the documentation?

Edited by Zacam

• 1 month later...
Hey MadBoy :)

What's the current status of the tool? I would love to see the new features!

Hey psycho ;) Lets just say i suck at delivering things on time. Since i've changed jobs it's realy hard to work on something i don't need that much... But i'll try to deliver. Have hopes. Just keep this thread on notify and you should get info when things change :)

Hey MadBoy :)

What's the current status of the tool? I would love to see the new features!

Hey psycho ;) Lets just say i suck at delivering things on time. Since i've changed jobs it's realy hard to work on something i don't need that much... But i'll try to deliver. Have hopes. Just keep this thread on notify and you should get info when things change :)

I'm actually thinking on rewriting the program in c# 3.5 but was wondering if it will be that usefull comparing to autoit version. C# gives me more flexibility and prolly nicer interface/features but enforces NET 3.5 on workstation you use it. So anyone can tell me if they think going 3.5 is good idea or you prefer continuation in AutoIt ?

I'm actually thinking on rewriting the program in c# 3.5 but was wondering if it will be that usefull comparing to autoit version. C# gives me more flexibility and prolly nicer interface/features but enforces NET 3.5 on workstation you use it. So anyone can tell me if they think going 3.5 is good idea or you prefer continuation in AutoIt ?

NET 3.5 = This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

This tool should have no prerequisite.

• 3 weeks later...