Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

I wanna try this program. Have a wuistion though.

I have Five different Dell machines. Using Ghost to image them. I have added the drivers for the differentmachines and when i restore the image for a machine sysprep should install the drivers. This is not happening though. When i restore the image to a different machine as where the image was made for example: image was created with a Dell gx745 and i restore the sysprepped image to a Dell gx620 the drivers for the network, video and chipset where not installed.

I want to solve this with this program. I would like to do this with least effort, like right after the sysprep has run. Is this possible?

Second quistion is:

When i put the drivers from Dell for every machine in one folder and subolders does this program see which drivers to install? Because there are drivers for vife different machines in that folder / sufolder?

The part in share is not working for my network, i have a workgroup configuration (not a domain).

Is there a special config to work with workgroups? If not, do you plan to include in future versions?

The user and password for the workgroup is not necessary (or Guest without pass in any case).

Thanks.

I wanna try this program. Have a wuistion though.

I have Five different Dell machines. Using Ghost to image them. I have added the drivers for the differentmachines and when i restore the image for a machine sysprep should install the drivers. This is not happening though. When i restore the image to a different machine as where the image was made for example: image was created with a Dell gx745 and i restore the sysprepped image to a Dell gx620 the drivers for the network, video and chipset where not installed.

I want to solve this with this program. I would like to do this with least effort, like right after the sysprep has run. Is this possible?

Second quistion is:

When i put the drivers from Dell for every machine in one folder and subolders does this program see which drivers to install? Because there are drivers for vife different machines in that folder / sufolder?doo

Surfertje: the program can be used the first time you login to Windows (you can make your Windows Autologin for you and start the program). The program then starts and does it's job, finish and quits (but you gotta do some testing first). What it does you ask?

What it does it takes a directory with drivers (you can have in that directory drivers for every single machine in your network) for example that looks like this:

d:\Drivers

d:\Drivers\DellX300

d:\Drivers\DellX500

d:\Drivers\HP6400

etc, you can also have it like this

D:\Drivers

D:\Drivers\VGA\ATI

D:\Drivers\SOUND\BLASTER

Anything that is under the D:\Drivers will get scanned and will be used to detect proper drivers needed. All my program does it takes every single inf directory and puts it in registry. THen it forces Windows to redetect all devices and then Windows scans all those directories for the right driver and matches with proper device. If it finds one it install the driver, if it doesn't it continues to next. No magic done here :)

So in other words yes to your 2nd question and yes to your 1st question (althought you gotta play with it to see how it works first).

The part in share is not working for my network, i have a workgroup configuration (not a domain).

Is there a special config to work with workgroups? If not, do you plan to include in future versions?

The user and password for the workgroup is not necessary (or Guest without pass in any case).

Thanks.

The network part does work ;)

1. You have to state \\server\share_name not just \\server (this won't work).

2. As you are in workgroup using SERVER_NAME as your domain should fix the problem.

So for your login you could try using: SERVER_NAME\Guest. Password leave empty. If it will not work i will have to test this solution myself on some non-joined to domain computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know yet. Too much on my head now, new job takes a lot of my time and thoughts. I have to create timesheet, room reservations, vacations forms etc in SharePoint while i don't have much of experience in this :/

• 1 month later...

Hey.

I have some problem getting the program to work.

I downloaded the program. setup the driver folder to "C:\DriversTest" in the config file and put in my hp c1160 driver files in the root of that directory.

I changed the language to danish in the wizard config file. I used autoit active window to check that it was the correct text i putin. then I startup the program.

put the usb cable from the printer in the computer and the "found new hardware" wizzard popup. I then go to "action" in the program an click "install missing drivers" but nothing realy happens. the "new hardware wizard" stays, and the program tells me that" There are no devices marked for removal. If you think this is an error correct config with proper problem ID's" hmm. I don't know what that means exackly. all I can see is that my hp device is still marked with a yellow mark inside my devicemanager. I use winxp sp3. and the newest version of pro-s installer.

please help.

Hey.

I have some problem getting the program to work.

I downloaded the program. setup the driver folder to "C:\DriversTest" in the config file and put in my hp c1160 driver files in the root of that directory.

I changed the language to danish in the wizard config file. I used autoit active window to check that it was the correct text i putin. then I startup the program.

put the usb cable from the printer in the computer and the "found new hardware" wizzard popup. I then go to "action" in the program an click "install missing drivers" but nothing realy happens. the "new hardware wizard" stays, and the program tells me that" There are no devices marked for removal. If you think this is an error correct config with proper problem ID's" hmm. I don't know what that means exackly. all I can see is that my hp device is still marked with a yellow mark inside my devicemanager. I use winxp sp3. and the newest version of pro-s installer.

please help.

Well the you have to check what Problem ID the device (in your case hp c1160) has. You can check that in device manager right clicking on Device. It should say something like Problem ID 10, 28, 1 etc. Then you should check if that problem ID is in the config file under problem ids.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Firstly thank you for this great little tool, its proving to be very handy to solve some problems with automated roll-outs I'm experiencing.

I've got one last glitch, that somebody may be able to either point me in the right direction of, or advise how to solve.

I'm using Vista (yep, I know its experimental for this software, but so far all is well), and I am chaining the util in to runoncefirst boot, so it installs the drivers after a roll-out of a pre-made sysprep image. The problem I have is that the program starts up, starts to do its thing but Vista seems to jump in half way through and pop up a

"Found New Hardware" dialogue, which them seems to cause the util to freeze, stating its waiting:

"[12:28:36] - DEBUG: Program is now searching for active plug & play process"

"[12:28:37] - DEBUG: Program found the process (4052) and now awaits for it to terminate."

Which is obviously waiting for this dialogue to clear, but to do that I have to click on 'Cancel' on this dialogue. Is this a known problem, or is there something I can set in registry before the util runs to stop this from happening?

Either that or somehow tell it to send a 'Cancel' button press to the 'Found New Hardware' dialogue which should resolve this.

I see similar things reported before in the thread, but not quite this issue, so I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Andy

Hi there,

Firstly thank you for this great little tool, its proving to be very handy to solve some problems with automated roll-outs I'm experiencing.

I've got one last glitch, that somebody may be able to either point me in the right direction of, or advise how to solve.

I'm using Vista (yep, I know its experimental for this software, but so far all is well), and I am chaining the util in to runoncefirst boot, so it installs the drivers after a roll-out of a pre-made sysprep image. The problem I have is that the program starts up, starts to do its thing but Vista seems to jump in half way through and pop up a

"Found New Hardware" dialogue, which them seems to cause the util to freeze, stating its waiting:

"[12:28:36] - DEBUG: Program is now searching for active plug & play process"

"[12:28:37] - DEBUG: Program found the process (4052) and now awaits for it to terminate."

Which is obviously waiting for this dialogue to clear, but to do that I have to click on 'Cancel' on this dialogue. Is this a known problem, or is there something I can set in registry before the util runs to stop this from happening?

Either that or somehow tell it to send a 'Cancel' button press to the 'Found New Hardware' dialogue which should resolve this.

I see similar things reported before in the thread, but not quite this issue, so I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Andy

Hello,

Well never tested it on vista so i'll just speculate on what you could do. What happens if you don't click cancel but next next next Fininish? Does it install the drivers correctly? Or no? What happens if you click cancel? Do drivers get installed or not?

If the drivers get installed correctly there's a field in the XML responsible for clicking that Next / FInish button.

<window_managing>

<hardware_wizard>

<wizard_use>Yes</wizard_use>

<wizard_title>Found New Hardware Wizard</wizard_title>

<wizard_button_cancel>Cancel</wizard_button_cancel>

<wizard_button_next>Next</wizard_button_next>

<wizard_button_finish>Finish</wizard_button_finish>

</hardware_wizard>

</window_managing>

You have to exactly type in button names here as well as Wizard Title. Remember thou that wizard_buttons have sometimes underscore (_) under some letters so you have to use & prior to name. For example &Next when the underscore is under N, or N&ext when the underscore is under e.

Lemme know if that works for you. I know this is not preety but it seems to work under Windows XP.

Also one note is that I have code that can turn on/off Ignore Signed Drivers the "official way" and not only thru gui manipulation. Just no time to implement it.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

hI ALL;

I have a problem when trying to install drivers from cd. On some PCs when scanning system appears error

COM error with DOM

err.windescription Syntax Error

err number is 800401E4

err.lastdllerror is 2

err.scriptline -1

This error appears with new and old methods

After that error appears new error dialog

COM error with DOM

err.windescription variable must be type of Object

err number is 000000A9

err.lastdllerror is 127

err.scriptline -1

at the end appears last error dialog

Autoit Error

line -1

Error: Missing right bracket ')' in expression

After that error program terminates.

program ver 2.0.0.20

Hello,

Your error seems similar to what psycho-y2k had. Take a look at his problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Drivers-Instalat...315#entry738315

And solution:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Drivers-Instalat...660#entry747660

The errors are probably related to WMI and seems like removing help and support ruins the fun.

Lemme know if it's the same prblem.

MadBoy

• 4 weeks later...
Hey MadBoy, what's your status on updating the code? :)

My temporary fix on pressing the Next button is bugging me lately (pressing wrong buttons sometimes grr...) and I'm eager to try an updated version.

Hello pSycho,

All you need is in the code already. All you have to do is pass the name to program right (a.k.a with & in front of the letter that is underlined). Like

N&ext if e is underlined or without & but then you have to pass ext

&Next if N is underlined or without & but then you have to pass Next

Ne&xt if x is underlined or without & but then you have to pass xt

Hope you understand what I'm saying :)

With regards,

MadBoy

Only new features are not implemented but this one should work fine if correctly used.