Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

MadBoy, the first, thank for your tool!

I a, trying it, but I have always the same error when aplication starts:

Methot must be set: SetupCopyOemInf or RegistryDevicePath. Terminating!

Off course the tag methot is correct. With original hardware-config.xml the same error.

P.D. in another machine, there is NOT error.

Open XML file in Internet Exploer (in non modified default setting pressing enter on .xml should open it in Internet Explorer by default). If you open it in IE you will see that most likely IE will tell you that you typed in something wrong in the .xml that causes the .xml to "crash". Fix it by going thru errors that IE shows up. Unless no errors then as always "send me the .xml" :P

My .xml is correct, even I have the same error with your original .xml. But this happens in a BartPE instaled in harddisk. Sure fails because this system...

With my XP your tool works ok.

MadBoy, the first, thank for your tool!

I a, trying it, but I have always the same error when aplication starts:

Methot must be set: SetupCopyOemInf or RegistryDevicePath. Terminating!

Off course the tag methot is correct. With original hardware-config.xml the same error.

P.D. in another machine, there is NOT error.

Open XML file in Internet Exploer (in non modified default setting pressing enter on .xml should open it in Internet Explorer by default). If you open it in IE you will see that most likely IE will tell you that you typed in something wrong in the .xml that causes the .xml to "crash". Fix it by going thru errors that IE shows up. Unless no errors then as always "send me the .xml" :P

My .xml is correct, even I have the same error with your original .xml. But this happens in a BartPE instaled in harddisk. Sure fails because this system...

With my XP your tool works ok.

BartPE is diffrent then XP. The program is designed to work only on XP. You can probably try to use it on BartPe but my guess is that it won't realy work :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see some progress in your software Madboy! :) I tested version 2.0.0.20 yesterday, and it seems that I still have some (minor) problems. The first one is an old one which I still can't get rid off. The program starts normally, but when it's "discovering advanced information about all system devices" an error pops up where I have to click OK to let the program continue (see screenshot). After clicking, it's runs just fine and the drivers will be installed, pretty strange :wacko:

The other problem relates to the Found New Hardware Wizard. With version 2.0.0.20 it does half the job with the dutch language: A driver wizard still pops up where I need to click Next (which is Volgende in dutch), the tool doesn't do anything here to click the button. When pressing the button manually the system searches the driver and installs the driver from the DriverPacks folder.

After that, the wizard prompts us to click Finish to close the wizard. Fortunately your tool presses the Finish button (which is Voltooien in dutch) correctly and the wizard closes. So only the Next button has to be pressed manually. :(

I've added the log, config and screenshot to this post.

post-34235-1203249396_thumb.png

Hardware_config.xml

hardware.txt

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

Nice to see some progress in your software Madboy! :) I tested version 2.0.0.20 yesterday, and it seems that I still have some (minor) problems. The first one is an old one which I still can't get rid off. The program starts normally, but when it's "discovering advanced information about all system devices" an error pops up where I have to click OK to let the program continue (see screenshot). After clicking, it's runs just fine and the drivers will be installed, pretty strange :wacko:

The other problem relates to the Found New Hardware Wizard. With version 2.0.0.20 it does half the job with the dutch language: A driver wizard still pops up where I need to click Next (which is Volgende in dutch), the tool doesn't do anything here to click the button. When pressing the button manually the system searches the driver and installs the driver from the DriverPacks folder.

After that, the wizard prompts us to click Finish to close the wizard. Fortunately your tool presses the Finish button (which is Voltooien in dutch) correctly and the wizard closes. So only the Next button has to be pressed manually. :(

I've added the log, config and screenshot to this post.

Hello pSycho-Y2K,

The first error is most likely WMI problem. Can you try to mess around with it? Like a simple reinstall would be okey i guess and see what happens? The Advanced function is using mostly WMI contents. Also can you tell me if 2nd tab (advanced one) gets populated with a lot of information about drivers and stuff? Or is it lacking that information?

As for the pressing, i'm glad it partially works. Can you gimme the log file for it with logging set to debug? The log you provided is for advanced functions not working. I also need the one for Hardware Wizard. I'll take a look at the code later to see something that can be improved there.

Okay, I did another run with the program with debug logging activated. I think the first error relates to nLite where I've deleted a few components. With a fresh installation (with an original Windows XP) the error doesn't appear. So unfortunately I have to pinpoint the specific component.

I see a lot of information like you said in the advanced tab, lots of specific hardware components and values. I guess this part works as it should be. And it also detects the window title of the Found New Hardware Wizard and the Finish button.

I've added the debug log to this post, I hope this helps :sneaky: PS. All tests are done in VMware Workstation

hardware_installer.txt

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this software, found some problems:

1. I can not map the network drive, I can map it manually and can map in the same computer, but if I try to map to a network computer, it failed. I don't know if it's the user name and password. I shared to everyone, do I still need put user name and password in the xml file?

2. about the driver database, it seems like it will create this database every time even use the same folder. I downloaded all the drivers from driverpack.net, and put them in the server computer, every time I tried install the driver from the server, it take a very long time to build the database. my suggestion is: it should have a option to use a old database, only rebuild when you add new drivers in.

3. every time the program stop at "Disabling windows device manager"(something like that), is that normal?

I test again, about the network mapping, if I changed to ip address, it works. maybe something wrong with my network. but I can access the mapped the folder with computer name in explorer, I don't know why.

I just tried this software, found some problems:

1. I can not map the network drive, I can map it manually and can map in the same computer, but if I try to map to a network computer, it failed. I don't know if it's the user name and password. I shared to everyone, do I still need put user name and password in the xml file?

Not sure what you mean. You have to put user name and password in the .xml file for correct mapping.

2. about the driver database, it seems like it will create this database every time even use the same folder. I downloaded all the drivers from driverpack.net, and put them in the server computer, every time I tried install the driver from the server, it take a very long time to build the database. my suggestion is: it should have a option to use a old database, only rebuild when you add new drivers in

Depending on settings you choose you have ability to do that already. Simply read the manual on the first page. It's possible already to create database once and only reuse it!

3. every time the program stop at "Disabling windows device manager"(something like that), is that normal?

Not sure what you mean. Please attach to your post .xml file you use and the log file created by my program and highlight things you don't like and let me know :)

I really love this tool :thumbup

But I've got a question. Why can't the "Found New Hardware Wizard" be automatic or off. I use this tool with an unattended install so I really would like it to be automated.

I really love this tool :thumbup

But I've got a question. Why can't the "Found New Hardware Wizard" be automatic or off. I use this tool with an unattended install so I really would like it to be automated.

That's what I've been working on with pSycho-Y2K. Unfortunetly i didn't had time to actually check the problem.

I have tested the lastest version of your fantastic application.

So the driver recognization is better thn previous version.

I have created driver DB, but I had a strange problem.

After I installed missing drivers with your utility, I changed my USB mouse.

After I plugged new mouse, it didn't be recognized from Windows XP.

I think that the problem it's your utility because I have always used the previous version and I hadn't nothing problem.

is it possible this behaviour with new version?

I think that the problem it's your utility because I have always used the previous version and I hadn't nothing problem.

It's quite normal behaviour. USB drivers are located at current %SystemRoot%\inf location. This should be added to devicepath in registry. Most likely settings of my program overwrite this entry (when it shouldn't since it's an option in .xml to have it set on the begining of the line, end of the line or removed totally. On end of my program this %SystemRoot%\inf; is put back into the registry. I'll take a look at this.

romsempire:

What settings you have for:

<registry_path>Begin</registry_path>

Also can you check what entries you have in your registry?

I've made some succesfull progress tracing the "COM Error with DOM!" 80041013 error. It seems related to the removal of the "Help and Support" component in nLite. Leaving the component alone did the trick :thumbup

I'm still trying to figure out my previous problem with the dutch version of the Found New Hardware Wizard where it doesn't repond to Next, but fortunately it does work with the Finish button :blink: I'll try to mess around a bit more with the settings. Madboy, maybe you can see where the problem is? See my previous post for the log and settings.

Another thing I'm struggling with is the Driver Signing policy. I let nLite disable the Driver Signing Policy, but unfortunately it switches back on during the first boot after a fresh Windows installation. Hacking into the registry doesn't work as Windows recognizes the action als a harmfull attack. My workaround for this is a VBS script which automaticly go to sysdm.cpl and pushing the buttons to disable it (with sleep commands to wait for the windows to pop up). Then your tool will be executed and the drivers will be installed without unsigned driverpopups. But unfortunately, on slow or heavy loaded systems it doens't work properly :(

Maybe if you have the time, you can add this also to the drivertool?

Edited by pSycho-Y2K