Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

Non of the links work as there was a bug in my program that I have to fix. Since i couldn't get the old program version to work i decided to use my other project which is called Pro-S Hardware Professional which uses a bit diffrent methods then my old one. So now i have ported some old code to new proggy and basically now i just need to do few tweaks and i will start testing how it works (if it works ;p). When i will get it to do what old proggy was doing i'll release and just start working on additional features to it. Anyways for information it should be ready in about week or so (if the tests will be sucessfull). If not it might take longer. Anyways just add this thread to "watching" and you will get announce when i post new version with working link. I also lost my hosting server from my ex-work so i have to find another one where i can host my domains and files.

Ps. Is there anyone that would like to prepare nice help file to my proggy? You know like many programs have (HTML based or so). I don't have much time to actually work on that and i'm preety sure someone can do it much better then i do ;)

I have a spare server that you can use for a while, bandwith is no problem. The only problem there is is that ive forgotten till when im paying for it :P

i /think/ its till december-ish. I dont check these forums too often so if your interested mail me at info@cere4l.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hy friend i try to download this file hardware_0.3.6.exe , put link not work

please give me another link or send this file to my email ostath73@yahoo.com

thanks

Be patient. I'm still waiting for my friend to fix me server and put domain on it, set it up etc. It's taking time but it will be done :) No worries. As soon that's done i'll upload new version, and modify first page with updates.

New version is out. Check FIRST PAGE for details! I tried to update information on it as much as i could, but prolly some old entries in it. Should be easier now to update/release new versions when i started and have to just modify things.

So without further ado...

Changelog for 2.0.0.9

- Changed completly aproach to program due to several bugs in old code.

- Changed program name to Pro-S Hardware Professional.

- New GUI.

- New CODE.

- New configuration file (format .xml).

- New features.

- New autodetection of .7zip or .rar archives (only requires now drivers_packed set to Yes).

- Removed Backup option as it wasn't realy working.

- Removed Leave_registry_entries option as it wasn't realy working.

- Renamed Reboot option to auto_reboot_when_done. Other options not working!

as this will come back in newer better form. You can see in XML file that it's gonna be nice.

- Changed so now Debug option was moved to log_option which now takes Simple/Advanced/Debug as variables.

- Changed how variables look like in LOG section - they now start with $ instead of & as this char is unsupported by XML format.

- Too much to list all changes

@All: Lemme know how it works :)

@Kickarse: Thank you, friend already fixed me something nice and fast and stable i hope. Was just at last moment porting config file .ini to .xml so took some time to make it all good and working! :)

Edited by MadBoy

Excellent! I'll try it out tomorrow! Are you still using that code to enumerate/install all hardware?

I'm using WMI call (more then one actually) to get all devices and all their problem ids. I'm still using devcon to remove devices.

Just to mention "configuration window is left not disabled" but it doesn't work realy :) I'll be trying to work to get this program better just need some confirmations current code works ;)

Excellent! I'll try it out tomorrow! Are you still using that code to enumerate/install all hardware?

I'm using WMI call (more then one actually) to get all devices and all their problem ids. I'm still using devcon to remove devices.

Just to mention "configuration window is left not disabled" but it doesn't work realy :) I'll be trying to work to get this program better just need some confirmations current code works ;)

What is the "configuration window is left not disabled?

Also it might be good to comment in the XML what each thing does...

<!-- Comments look like this -->

Edited by kickarse

I have my path to relative my drivers are in this heirarchy:

C:\D\1_0_Fuj\Video\Video.inf

It keeps telling me that there are no archives in C:\d even thought I have set in the XML file to that I do not have compressed drivers. Also while it's scanning it tells me that it's found the drivers directory in C:\D.

Is there something off?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings>
<basic_configuration>
<choice>manual</choice>
<drivers>
<drivers_drive>RELATIVE</drivers_drive>
<drivers_directory>\D</drivers_directory>
<drivers_packed>No</drivers_packed>
<drivers_copy>No</drivers_copy>
<drivers_copy_path>C:\DriversTest</drivers_copy_path>
<drivers_copy_delete>No</drivers_copy_delete>
<options>
<method>RegistryDevicePath</method>
<registry_path>Begin</registry_path>
<problem_ids></problem_ids>
<update_all>No</update_all>
<plug_and_play>
<option>Internal</option>
<time_to_wait>15</time_to_wait>
</plug_and_play>
<shutdown>
<auto_reboot_when_nessecary>No</auto_reboot_when_nessecary>
<auto_reboot_when_done>No</auto_reboot_when_done>
<auto_login>No</auto_login>
<notify_when_done>No</notify_when_done>
</shutdown>
<time_to_run>0</time_to_run>
<force_run>No</force_run>
<device_manager>No</device_manager>
</options>
</drivers>
<log>
<log_overwrite>No</log_overwrite>
<log_to_file>Yes</log_to_file>
<log_filename>hardware.log</log_filename>
<log_path>$ProgramDir</log_path>
<log_option>Simple</log_option>
</log>
<gui>
<hide_legacy_devices>No</hide_legacy_devices>
<fade_in_effect>No</fade_in_effect>
</gui>
</basic_configuration>
</settings>

Edited by kickarse

New version out.

Changelog for 2.0.0.10

- Fix of archives detection. Even thou <drivers_packed> option was No program was always checking for archives and not going further if it doesn't find any.

@Kickarse: tnx, and try newest version. There was a bug that I've introduced when i did changes at last moment :/

As for documenting the XML i was thinking about it but i don't have much time to do that. It took me 2 days to update first post page and it explains most. Also i am soon planning to fix the configuration window I mentioned to you (Choose File -> Configuration) and that will be only official way to do changes in XML. And that window i meant is not disabled (as in not grayed out) but not realy working :)

As for your concerns about " found the drivers directory in C:\D " it's perfectly OK. It only does simple check for Directory Existance. Nothing else. Maybe i will rephrase that sentence in future versions. Hope this explains your concerns.

I would like to have an option to instal all BTS drivers on computer after Windows instalation.

So I tried your program.

The default hardware.xml isn't the best suited for this task (works much better for unpacked drivers on USB) but not a problem for me :)

The most problematic is method

"RegistryDevicePath and SetupCopyOemInf"

The first one limit 4096 isn't enouhg for more than one big pack (like DP LAN/ WLAN..)

My solution 1 - make 8 folders each with its own hardware and exe and pack and launch all of them from bat sequentially

LONG as on each unnesesary start and detection is requied....

Proposed solution :

Ability in your program to treat drivers in 'packets' with <4096 long patch - by automaticaly checking if limit was exceded

or by ability for user to select option []treat each packed archive as 1 pack to test : unpack and repeat with new RegistryDevicePath without simple and avacend device detection routine each time.

Option 2 SetupCopyOemInf takes SOOOOOOO long....

Is't it possible to use the same method as in BTS pack in method2?

A small program to scan all unpacked directories for *.inf files and making a one file to scan/or something like this I don't remember exacly how that works ?

The default hardware.xml isn't the best suited for this task (works much better for unpacked drivers on USB) but not a problem for me :)

That's why it is default hardware.xml ;) You have every right to modify it to your needs with explanations on first page.

The most problematic is method

"RegistryDevicePath and SetupCopyOemInf"

I prefer RegistryDevicePath myself. SetupCopyOemInf is slow but it's not due to my program but due to how it was designed. Dllcall is made for every .inf. Nothing we can do about it.

My solution 1 - make 8 folders each with its own hardware and exe and pack and launch all of them from bat sequentially

LONG as on each unnesesary start and detection is requied....

Unfortunetly i agree here with you that starting and restarting my program takes ages. Unfortunetly the WMI call is preety time consuming.

Well it took me quite a while to port everything from old version (which had some bug i was unable to fix, and was crashing computers) to new version. That's why first i would like to know if new version works ;) If it does then i can think of adding some things to it. I already have thought about adding some kind of pre-db so program would go and scan the whole directory for inf files then read all those inf files for HW_ID's and put them into database.xml file. Then when you would be starting program on any computer it would scan scan for the error devices and look for them in database.xml file. And program would put to registry only those .inf files that have anything in common with those HW_ID's and not all of them.

I would like to hear more about method 2 from BTS. It's mentioned it's pyron's menthod?

Edited by MadBoy