Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

seems like i missed one thing in program that was related to bug in 0.5.5. Users that were using CDROM or REMOVABLE for drivers_drive wouldn't get DevicePath into registry

Should fix the issue now discountpc :) Tnx again :)

Just downloaded & tested 0.5.6 ... and issue still seems to remain that the drive is not registered as a variable and thus not stored in the registry... I haven't had time to debug it yet and I have only tested with the CDROM tag at the momemnt... but still no path is entered :(

...also would it be possible to detect the class of the device (audio, video, network) and have it search specific folders before it starts searching the entire Drivers DIR? ... to kinda make Bashrat The Sneeky's Driver packs more usefull... like this structure: a sound device will search the X:\All_Drivers\S (S for sound) first. or X:\All_Drivers\G (for Graphics). I think this would dramaticly cut down on the install times specifcly when using Bashrats driverpacks. :) Just a suggestion

~Dave

Edited by discountpc

MadBoy:

:thumbup Good Job !! it worked (unpack and auto install drivers)

Suggestion: in driver_drive can take network path like - ( \\server\drivers\all_driver ), it would be very helpful as we don't need to manual MAP the network dirve

next week i am going to test more machines in my store.

Little off topic:

My company also used other project of mine. Installer of software. Worked preety nice, but also stopped developing due to diffrent company :) Here's a screen of it (excuse my polish):

do you have english version, it will be very helpful for my business, I will pay you :P

thanks, :D ty

Edited by ty628659

ty628659: network drives (for example auto_mapping as drive or so) can be added, not as easy thou as it would require additional checks, like if server is available etc. Problem is usually LAN isn't working the first time you want to install drivers. You would have to integrate LAN drivers to your windows image.

discountpc: i'll try to find what's wrong. I thought i fixed it and it should work just fine. I'll take a look at it and report if it has the error or not ;)

As for the detection of class of device.. well how would you see that going? At the point of hardware detection hardware id is just a bunch of numbers. Plug & Play compares them with .inf's file and if it matches, driver is installed, if it doesn't match system goes on to next .inf (at least i see it works that way, if not .. ;p) and that's why it takes so long. There's no database for that. Devcon can only say if some device is GRAPHIC, SOUND card if driver for those is already installed (that's why it's possible to implement removal of graphic card even with driver installed and then having it check for new driver for that card as someone requested). Only way it could be done, as i see it, is to have list of HARDWARE ID's inside the program that would say "This ID is graphic" and so on. I don't think keeping that database is possible. It would require lots of ppl work as new devices get rlsed every day. Having 4gb+ of drivers is a long process. As i see it CDROM/DVDROM is the slowest method to use. Fast USB 2.0 pendrive or maybe some small, fast hardrive in USB case would be best choice as it does 30mb/s with computer and doesn't have all disadvantages that CD/DVD has. That would be the fastest way (i always used it). Another way that could be implemented is LAN server but that would require LAN drivers integrated into win image (shouldn't take much place as net drivers are preety small), and a lot of additional work from my side :P

*EDIT*

Fixed the issue with CDROM/REMOVABLE. DiscountPc test please :)

Edited by MadBoy

*EDIT*

Fixed the issue with CDROM/REMOVABLE. DiscountPc test please :)

Sweet, the REMOVABLE switch seems to work now :) , however, CDROM is still M.I.A :(

(i'm off to my G-rents) bbl 2day for more testing...

Edited by discountpc

Dammit, CDROM has to work also. It's same function, taken care at same time. SO it must work, especially that i was TESTING CDROM and not REMOVABLE :/

I also thought when jogging a bit about the speed issue on CDROM, or even REMOVABLE devices. I think the good solution to this is to have another little app hardware_prepare.exe that will prepare index file with the right path's to registry. That way you can prepare yourself index file of all dirs before putting it on CD/DVD. SHould be much faster then.

Also i thought about that db of hardware.id stuff. It actually wouldn't be needed to do it by hand or split into sections (GRAPHIC etc). I could have hardware_prepare.exe that would create something like index from .inf's in lets say format:

hardware_id : path to inf that has that hardware_id

THen when some device is removed in removal process hardware_id is taken and try to match the hardware_id with index file. That way there's almost no searching process thru CD/DVD or dirs.. it just goes straight to right inf's :)

Looks nice on paper.. wonder if i can code it :)

I'm doing some more testing now.

... strange I can't get REMOVABLE to work now either :-|

I'm going to delete all my files and re-create all the settings files again to eliminate the issue being on my end. Also I'm going to test on a 2nd system just to make sure.

Changelog for 0.5.8-0.6.0

- fixed some variable name so it wouldn't cause confusion in script (related to bug with CDROM/REMOVABLE). Could happen with more then 1 CDROM drive or in case of removable devices (more then 1 removable device) that the program didn't set the registry path correctly.

- fixed position of one check so it would announce correctly when the path to Drivers is incorrect.

hehe, this time i hope it's fixed totally. Need bug report from discount and others. Fill me in.

Hmm... Still a no go... :(

Attached are my logs tested with the REMOVABLE switch that is not working, and I also tested manually setting H as the drive letter in the ini file that does work.

When REMOVABLE is specified, it still is not writing to DevicePath in registry, but does work beautifully if the drive is specified. I have attached my hardware log & hardware ini. maybe they will help.

I give you props on the fast new-releases though :)

REMOVABLE_hardware_NOT.ini

REMOVABLE_hardware_NOT.log.txt

H_hardware_Working.ini

H_hardware_Working.log.txt

Edited by discountpc

I have found another instance of problem. As you compare both logs you can see that there is 'h' in one and 'H' in other. That's why it didn't work. Anyway i think i fixed the last issue of it. If it doesn't work there's one more thing that i can do to make it 100%, but even without it this should work.

there is 'h' in one and 'H' in other

I've tested and REMOVABLE & CDROM seem to be FULLY working now!!!

...Who would have thought that would be the issue.... a cap. letter :P

Now all we gotta figure out is how to detect when the devices are all installed to close the program :P

~Dave

Ye, i'm waiting for proposals ;) I'm sure there's some way to check if drivers are being detected right now. I would suspect that some process shows up (is active) in process manager while devices are being detected and/when it's done the process closes or becomes inactive. Question is .. which process my program should be looking for ;)

Changelog for 0.6.2

- Program now detects if detecting device is in progress or it's done and notifies user about it.

- In automatic mode program will automaticly close itself after detecting all devices. Of course if Wizard won't show up, else everything should be automagic.

In other words. It should work as it is supposed to do. Lemme know :)

Changelog for 0.6.3

- Added some checks and timeouts in detecting new devices so it wouldn't wait for process to come up.

Report ;) and gimme ideas ;p