New Computer Experience

Aegis

A while ago, I decided to build my own computer. For various reasons, which I can't even explain myself, it took me a better part of three months to assemble the computer. But today, all that hard work paid off :). I have to say that the 250+FPS average in UT2004 high-quality really blew me away. Only thing I regret is that I still have a 7800GT (a refurbished one too :realmad:). Hopefully Customer Service will agree with me that replacement products shouldn't be refurbished and gimme my money back (if the manager agrees).

But back to the hardware experience...I've heard people claim the Raptors are loud. In my opinion, they're not much louder than a silent DVD-ROM (which I mistaken the noise to be at first) and are usually drowned out by my 45dB fans. It's best to use them in RAID0, or the performance boost isn't that noticeable with normal usage. They do run hot (around 80 degrees Fahrenheit is my best guess).

Overclocking is where I was most surprised. I apparently had a good batch of OCZ memory, because my 2GB Platinum 2-3-2-5 overclocked to DDR500 speed without changing the stock timings. I haven't had a chance to overclock my video card, since I'm still using the stock heatsink.

I've heard people claim the Raptors are loud. In my opinion, they're not much louder than a silent DVD-ROM (which I mistaken the noise to be at first) and are usually drowned out by my 45dB fans. It's best to use them in RAID0, or the performance boost isn't that noticeable with normal usage. They do run hot (around 80 degrees Fahrenheit is my best guess).

I know that I will get flamed for saying this but I personaly think that Raptors are over rated. Now do not get me wrong they are good drives but Hitachi and Seagate 7200 RPM drives give comparable performance.

I am glad that your experiance went well.

I know that I will get flamed

It is here you shall be mercilessly judged! RAwR! o_O

I personaly think that Raptors are over rated.

They're not overrated, just overpriced. Then again they are the fastest drives you can buy without going SCSI. Suddenly it's no longer a competition of drive size but how fast you can access your data. I don't like raptors because you can't hold much on them. The good thing is that they're just what my technician computer needs. I actually sat through 2 whole minutes waiting on Nero to finish burning a 1.1GB bootable image. I have 512MB PC4000 in this beast so that shouldn't be the problem. Drive access is. I have data crunching from a 5400.8RPM disk to a 7200.16. There's definitely a bottleneck there. =/

Hitachi and Seagate 7200 RPM drives give comparable performance.

My Maxtor 7L300S0 does that for me. :)