Autologon and RIS

I am having some trouble making the computer log in on its own.

I am aware a couple options.

The first one is using the Autologon entry in my Sif file. I have tried this and it doesn't work for me. I am a little confused on this because both AutoRis and RISult's included Sif files do not include this entry.

The other option is to do it in the registry. I really don't know how to get this to work during a RIS installation.

Does the Autologon entry actaully work? And if it doesn't how do I make the computer autologon?

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean about the "sif file included with RISult" as I do not include a sif file with RISult ;)

Anyhow, I use auto logon myself. You need the following code present in your SIF file to produce one autologon after build completion:

[GUIUnattended]
AutoLogon = Yes
AutoLogonCount = 1

Obviously you may have other options present under the "[GUIUnattended]" section, but this is all that is necessary for a successful once only autologon.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Thanks for the reply. It amamzes me that you can take the time to do this. I really appreciate it.

I guess what I meant to say is the SIF file that is created during the RISult process. I am pretty sure that your script creates one. I have my files so unorganized that if I am wrong then I apologize.

I use your script instead of AutoRIS because AutoRIS does alot of things that I don't need. While it is an amazing script, I just haven't had the time to customize it to my needs.

I have created a new flate image and I am going to test it out. I have some MSI installations that that get in the way of Autologon so i am restructuring my GPO's to better incorporate RIS.

I am going to test this new Flat Image today, but between caps locks being turned on, end of a new grading period, and Superintendents that need help on a powerpoint presentation I am a little ragged on my testing enviroment.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort. I will let you know

Hi,

No problem - I have more time because I automate with RISult ;).

RISult does not compile a SIF file - it does however edit the default "ristndrd.sif" file present in the "i386\templates" folder of your RISETUP image to add two entries to the [GUIRunOnce] section. As such, you will need to manually edit your ristndrd.sif file to include the above autologon entries, should you wish to use them.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that I thought you created a a specialized SIF file. I neglected to really look at what was going on.

Thanks, that pretty much summed everything up. :)

Hi,

You presume correctly - it is the local admin account.

I don't know about logging on with other credentials as I've never had to do it ;)

I suspect that instead of using the SIF file in this instance, you will have to alter the registry to create the credentials you require and force the auto logon there. Remember though, it may mean that the domain credentials are visible to anyone who can access your RIS source files.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

folowing on on thie autologin question..

when the above is set in the sif file. what account is used to auto login with? I presume its the local admin account.

what if you want it to login with a specific domain account.?

U can specify that via the registry...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon :

AltDefaultDomainName = the domain that the auto logon should use (netbios naming style, not FQDN)

AltDefaultPassword = the password

AltDefaultUserName = the user

AutoAdminLogon = dont remember it, google it.

And for the purpose of performing such things, this functionality can be obtained from the MS BDD solution accelerator which features this and lots of other stuff. U dont have to use the whole thing (BDD), just use the scripts included with the BDD to perform those kinds of things..

anyway.. script it down to the registry and it would perform the autologon for u with a specific domain account...

Best Regards

Tha Sausage Eater... now hammering down knackwursts!