Windows XP / Windows 2003

xsayun

I'm building a box that is OSX86 compatible, and will be able to dual boot windows. I wanted to use windows for running dvd and video stuff, as well as a few games, but I'm not sure which OS would suit me better. I know that XP is better meant for games, but I remote desktop into my machine alot, and in Windows 2003, it gives me a separate session, rather than taking away the currently logged on session. Windows xp just switches the computer to a "switch user" screen and gives the session to the remote desktop user. Can windows xp be changed to give remote desktop users separate sessions?

Also, regarding the stability of the OS's, which is more stable to use? Thanks!

cant say i have used the remote desktop as i would much rather use VNC for that kind of thing. for gaming you should really stick to XP as that is what it is primarily made for, home entertainment. As for stability Server 2003 is without a doubt the most stable Windows OS i have ever used.

As a matter of fact, yes you can get XP to allow multiple remote desktop connections and it works quite well.

Here are the instructions I followed and it worked perfectly:

http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabling-mult...r-edition-2005/

If you plan on using RDP over the internet, I would suggest learning how to setup a VPN or use Hamachi to secure the connection.

Edited by JaymanIT

I like 2003 because its fast. But if I want to play games I need to use Windows XP. And for some reason I can't set up a home network under 2003 because I can't find a network wizard, (No big deal, I like XP anyway) and some games aren't compatible with 2003. (No big deal)

I dual boot both XP and 2003 because I find it reliable to have 2 operating systems, if one fails, I use the other one.

Well, what happens if you try to run 2003 from the boot loader? Did you try reinstalling it again? Do you have a bad hard drive?

Thx For Quick Reply :)

the both HD are ok , i connect the second HD which include server 2003

as a slave HD , i'm trying to edit Boot.ini Is It Right ?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Server 2003"

nothing happen when i'm trying to run 2003 :no:

You see partition(1), I think that should be 2. Because 2003 is on the second parition. Change that and see what happens.

If not, I consider reinstalling Windows Server 2003. Or did you install 2003 first and then XP? Because if you install XP after you installed 2003, 2003 will not boot. Install the older version of Windows first, and then install the newer version later on a different partition.

You see partition(1), I think that should be 2. Because 2003 is on the second parition. Change that and see what happens.

If not, I consider reinstalling Windows Server 2003. Or did you install 2003 first and then XP? Because if you install XP after you installed 2003, 2003 will not boot. Install the older version of Windows first, and then install the newer version later on a different partition.

the 2 OS are in diffirent HD , Hard drive 1 include XP

and Hard drive 2 include Server 2003

they are not in the same Hard drive .