Shockwave "Click To Run ActiveX Control on this webpage"

lightsout

Hey,

Using Macromedia's licensing - http://www.macromedia.com/licensing/distribution/ - I'm doing unatteneded installs of Flash 8.0.24 and Shockwave 10.1.0.011.

For Flash I use "install_flash_player_active_x.msi" and it works great. Installs unattended and flash works.

For Shockwave, I use "sw_lic_full_installer.msi" and it also installs great. Sadly everytime I visit a webpage with Shockwave on it, IE pop-ups with "Click To Run ActiveX Control on this webpage" box in the middle of the window with just an "OK" button in it. If I OK it, then Shockwave displays it anyway.

So I presume it is missing it's ActiveX Control or something like that. Or is a security issue, but turning my security right down hasn't helped.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers!

Hi,

As far as I know, there are these kind of problems if the KB912945 update (from Microsoft) is installed in the computer.

If it is installed, you have to "enable" manually the ActiveX control before it can be loaded .....

----------------

The following issues occur on Web sites that do not use the recommended techniques.

• Controls that prompt before they are loaded

When certain controls are loaded on a Web page, the controls are not correctly masked by the functionality of this update. These controls include controls that are used in Macromedia Shockwave Director, in QuickTime Player, and in Virtools Web Player. When Windows determines that a control is inactive, the system prompts the user before the control is loaded.

----------------

More infos in this page.

Edited by Diabolo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Microsoft is aware of the problem.

There is now a "compatibility patch" that will "temporarily" undo the effect of the previous update :

Web developers get a respite on IE changes

---------

Compatibility Patch – To help enterprise customers who need more time to prepare for the ActiveX update changes discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 912945 and included in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-013, Microsoft is releasing a Compatibility Patch on April 11, 2006. As soon as it is deployed, the Compatibility Patch will temporarily return Internet Explorer to the previous functionality for handling ActiveX controls. This Compatibility Patch will function until an Internet Explorer update is released as part of the June update cycle, at which time the changes to the way Internet Explorer handles ActiveX controls will be permanent. This compatibility patch may require an additional restart for systems it is deployed on. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 917425.

---------

The previous KB912945 update is not available any more in Windows Update.

More informations here :

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 917425

The compatibility patch is available here :

Compatibility Patch for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB917425)

Edited by Diabolo

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I had the same problem, here is how I fix it. It has nothing with all Microsoft updates that you mention in previous posts. I did changes in Windows Media Player.

Click on Start, All Programs, Windows Media Player. Click on the downward arrow near the minimize icon. Click on Tools, then Options, then File Types. Click on Select All and OK.

Regards,

Drazen