Replacing Mediaplayer

wela

MPC will play most anything as long as you have the right filters installed. That just happens to be one of the projects I am working on :)

But, no, MPC doesn't require WMP6 or any particular codec in order to work...it depends on what type of stream you are decoding.

MPC will play most anything as long as you have the right filters installed. That just happens to be one of the projects I am working on :)

But, no, MPC doesn't require WMP6 or any particular codec in order to work...it depends on what type of stream you are decoding.

when u say ur workin on it what did you mean

filters or mpc itself please specify

Both, actually:

1) A MPC addon that associates files properly even if IE/mplayer have been removed.

2) FFDShow Filterpack to replace larger codec packs

3) A few other HFSLIP-specific surprises

Search the HFSLIP forums for application replacement and slisptream codecs. Detailed instructions are there to do what you want to do (e.g. replace mplayer2 with mplayerc as well as slipstream 95% of the codecs that you'll need).

Tain - Are you sure that you want to do the ffdshow codec? Isn't it a bit resource hungry. I tried it and wasn't too impressed.

Edited by tommyp

@tommyp: I am still evaluating different solutions but that is my current favorite. ffdshow on its own can play *most* bitstreams out there...and there are direct show filters to enable the rest...except for qt & real, of course. They are a real pain.

The ffdshow solution requires far less diskspace and eliminates lots of codec confusion. Hadn't really thought about the resource usage...will have to look into it and perhaps find ways to tweak up a good default installation.

Personally, I'm not using ffdshow either. It breaks everything... litterally. I get hiccups so often that it spoils the fun in listening to music. I tried it on both a "manually installed" Win2K system and an HFSLIPped Win2K system -- no difference.

I use K-Lite Mega 1.50 now with the bare minimum: XVID, DIVX, 3IVX, MPEG4, OGG, Real & QT. Coupled with the regular WMP6 and WMP9 codecs, that gets me all I ever need. I still get breaks at times in DIVX movies but they are kept at a minimum because I disable post-processing and smooth playback. MP3 files are usually fine now that I don't install ffdshow, MP3, AC3 and ON2 filters/codecs.

Edited by Tomcat76

The ffdshow sourceforge alphas(20041012?) don't have nearly as many problems as the new versions, but then you should install Xvid 1.1.0 and other stuff too for newer encoded content.

Edit: Missed what I was talking about. :blushing:

Edited by Kramy