WiFi Internet Questions.

DysfunktinaL

Hi, I am building a computer for a truck driver, and he is asking me about WiFi internet, specificly by Verison.

He wants to be able to use basic internet features like IE, AIM, MSN, E-mail, etc.. However, he also wants to be able to play World of Warcraft, and that is his main goal. How fast and reliable is WiFi connections, and would it be strong enough to support a game connection?

If anyone knows this information, I'd appreciate your input. What would be even better is if anyone uses this type of connection, and could run a speed test for me (http://www.dslreports.com/stest)

Right now I told him his only real option is to get a wireless card, and try to find an unsecured wireless access point near wherever he will be parking when he is on the road. The downside to this is A) That is basicly stealing, B) WAPs are not readily available when on the road, especialy in rural areas, and C) I think locating a strong signal, accessing WAPs, and being able to determine secured vs. unsecured access is a bit above his abilitys when it comes to computers.

Thanks alot!

No. Thats UMTS.

As for the solution to the problem, I would recommend getting 1 thing, and possibly, if needed a second one.

Vodafone Card PCMCIA

Like Vodafone, there are other companies selling it.

And secondly, only if needed, buying a Wireless Router that supports PCMCIA cards, and therefor, being able to "share" the Wireless Connection with other people (friends, family, etc).

UMTS Router

You should have posted this on the Networks Forums. :)

Take care.

Edited by Gouki

The quality of connection you get from unsecured wireless access points is not that good... it'd be sufficient for light web-browsing, e-mail, and IM but definitely not for any sort of gaming which requires a sustained reliable connection.