[Question] - Still Security flaws in sp2?

the-matrix

I have run xp home for almost 2.5 years and sp2 have now being out for about 1.5 year

Question 1 are most problems fix by now?

Question 2 is there still alot of security flaws in sp2?

Question 3 can i use sp2 if i don`t update the windows Medie player befor i instal sp2

Question 4 do sp2 automatic to the neweste version of the windows Medie player?

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

i adopted sp2 a month after its release, and wouldnt consider going without it. i'm not sure if that makes me biased, but whatever. :rolleyes:

1) yes, there are problems with sp2, but those problems are few and far between. chances are, u wont have any problems at all.

2) there are security flaws in it, yes, but there are far fewer in sp2 than sp1 or no sp.

3) yes, u should still be able to install sp2 without updating wmp

4) if memory serves, sp2 includes wmp9...newest version of wmp is 10. u'll hafta download wmp10 separately.

if anyone else has more information, feel free to correct me. it's been ages since i updated, i could be wrong on these answers. :blushing:

but overall the-matrix, sp2 is far better in security, compatability, and reliability than sp1 or xp gold. i'd say, go for it! it's well worth the upgrade. :thumbup

you would be insane not to install SP2 , SP1 had so many problems it was a joke. if you plan on installing SP2 you should really slippstream it into ur install source, many friends of mine had huge problems when installing SP2 over the top of their already installed windows.

That means original XP Gold CD source updated with SP2 service pack. You can burn the result to CD (and even slipstream the remaining hotfixes). Since the new disc has updates built in, it will save much time over manual download via Windows Update, next time you need to reinstall Windows. Plenty of detailed info available in these forums, but the best place to start is to click the Unattended Guide at the top of the page (read it thoroughly).

Thank you Lazy8 but i don`t have that kind of windows skills that is needed i have only used pc and the internet for about 4-5 years and my xp is not in english is i don`t no if it is´to much help for me.

Difficulty ?

Question 1 are most problems fix by now?
The problems were greatly exaggerated, nevermind this bs.
Question 2 is there still alot of security flaws in sp2?
When SP2 came out, it fixed EVERY known flaw in Windows, there have been some newer flaws found but thats what "patches" are for.
Question 3 can i use sp2 if i don`t update the windows Medie player befor i instal sp2
I Don't believe SP2 upgrades your WMP to a newer version. If you want the newest WMP you need to manually install it.
Question 4 do sp2 automatic to the neweste version of the windows Medie player?
As you said, SP2 is almost 2yrs old, you'll have to download the newest WMP edition as WMP 10 came out only a year ago.

Summary: you're crazy not to install SP2, I can't believe the number of mindless myths surrounding SP2 and that people actually believe it's bad or crappy. XP SP2 is the best SP ms has ever made for any OS. I have been running SP2 the very day it came out, not a single problem.

Edited by travisowens

Windows XP service pack 2 actually made XP like a new OS it added several features, increased stability and as far as I noticed when slipstreamed actually managed to speed the OS up a bit. I would say it is a definate must. Slipstreaming XP-SP2 is actually VERY easy, even for a person with limited technical knowledge, if you decide to slipstream it just post and I will give you the simpilest instructions possible. If you want to go a little more advanced and add all of the updates and Windows Media Player 10 to your installation disk get ahold of me on MSN and I will walk you through all of it. It really is easy to learn.

Agreed. We throw a lot of effort into automated program installs, the minutiae of registry tweaks, and special effects--the last 10% & least necessary part of the job. I got through a basic unattended CD with little more than a bit of time to kill and a couple of free setup programs to help (wasn't that long ago). Saving the customizing for later makes the job a lot simpler--might be an overall time saver, if you ever need to use it more than once.

One more note about SP2 conversion: hardware drivers tend to be optimized for pre- or post-SP2, but not always both. If you upgrade, be sure to get recent driver versions as well--preferably ones certified for XP by Microsoft (WHQL). If you decide not to upgrade immediately, don't permanently delete any old drivers until you've used the new ones awhile. Some programs behave the same way, as well. The mismatch between old and new software has driven people into fits, and was behind quite a bit of the initial dissatisfaction over the service pack, IMO.