Windows 2000 SP4

Hi!

I installed the network version on 2k Advanced Server (prev SP3) with no problem whatsoever. A refreshing change since both SP2 and SP3 ruined my 2kPro installation requiring a slipstreamed re-install.

Prior to install I backed up the SystemState and then I got the installation to backup files to enable an uninstall of SP4. Fortunately neither have been required :-)

Best wishes,

Andrew

Installed it 2 days ago, the the next day the PC stoppped responding after the monitor standby feature kicked in after 15mins of idling. Modem went offline and the monitor wouldn't come out of standby.

I generally find that slipstreaming the service packs to CD and starting afresh naturally works much better than upgrading over an old service pack on the system.

Hi again!

I posted above that my SP4 installation went completely smoothly. There's since been just one problem:

I discovered that the WindowsUpdate website had stopped working - the scan process just sat there at 0% and did nothing more.

I fixed it using WindowsUpdate's help facility's guidelines:

First I tried manually reinstalling the Windows Update Control CAB file - no improvement.

Then I reinstalled WinScript v5.6 and this fixed the problem.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Discovered one glitch...if you try to run Nortons Speed Disk, it will not run. Hopefully there will be a patch from someone to correct this. If anyone knows of a work around, please post.

Known issues with Windows 2000 SP4:

Win2K SP4 has the following known problems and concerns that you should be aware of.

• Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE): As with Win2K SP3, SP4 has IE problems that control whether SP4 appears in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet. If you install SP4, then install IE, SP4 doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Programs list. If this happens and you want to remove SP4, you need to go to the Spuninstall directory and manually run the spuninst.exe utility.

• Hotfix conflicts: Microsoft has released 33 hotfixes to selected customers, and these hotfixes aren't compatible with Win2K SP4. Although these hotfixes don't prevent installation of SP4, you must install the new post-SP4 version to ensure the hotfix functions properly. SP4's setup utility is aware of all 33 hotfixes, won't install service pack files that conflict with files in any of these hotfixes, and will warn you that you need to install the updated versions. You'll find a list of the hotfixes you need to update in the Microsoft article "Some Windows 2000 Hotfixes May Cause a Conflict with Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822384). The post-SP4 versions are available from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS).

• Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security 2001: SP4 is incompatible with both security products. If you install SP4 on a system running either of these utilities, IE times out when you browse a Web page, and Microsoft NetMeeting might take several minutes to accept incoming calls. Symantec has updates for both products that eliminate these incompatibilities.

The last paragraph could probably apply for Speed Disk as well, there might be an update.

Discovered one glitch...if you try to run Nortons Speed Disk, it will not run.  Hopefully there will be a patch from someone to correct this.  If anyone knows of a work around, please post.

Isnt that why you should use Perfect Disk ?

Speed DIsk for NT sucks :)