[Question] - A way of forcing uninstall of certain updates?

uptonm

Hi,

There is a Windows update on my computer that I would really like to be removed. I fully understand the security risks and concerns, however for me the benefits would outweigh the risk. Unfortunately, going to Control Panel, then to add/remove programs, clicking on show updates, I see the update listed there, but it says it cannot be removed.

Now browsing my c:\Windows folder, I can see the update listed there under a directory

$NtUninstallKB etc $, and when i browse the folder I see another folder which says spuninst, and looking in there i see a file called Spuninst.exe which I assume removes the related update.

My Questions are these:

Is this a valid, or at least a working way to uninstall an update when there is no option to remove it from add/remove programs? Please elaborate as much as possible, I would like to understand this.

and

There appears to be another folder which is almost exactly like the first in name, except that it has a _0 in it.

for example, $NtUninstallKB913446_0$ as opposed to $NtUninstallKB913446$. Both contain the Spuninst directory with the related .exe file inside. Which one do I choose?

Thanks very much in advance for help with this issue.

well, there is no remove button. see below

add-remove.jpg

which do i use, the $NtUninstallKB913446$ folder, or the $NtUninstallKB913446_0$ folder? and what would be the point of having a replicated folder like that? Thanks so much for posting...

Why would you want to uninstall the updates - clearly, the KB913446 is a security update - I'd strongly recommend not to uninstall these updates - is it that you suspect they create problems on your system or whatever unclear reason???

- Regards

/Techniquefreak

Part of getting my raw socket functionality back

http://dsns.net/news.html

i would like fully functioning raw sockets, for experimenting with a full spectrum of networking abilities. Yeah I know its a risk to uninstall a security update, but, as they say, that's my problem to worry about. That particular update is one for a denial of service attack. No big deal. I'm behind a NAT router which ignores unsolicited incoming traffic. If, on the other hand, someone were to successfully DOS me or even DDOS me, what are they gonna do when I reset my modem and grab a new IP? I ain't worried. Thanks for your recommendation, but I'm fully willing to accept the risk.

Edited by uptonm