Slipstreaming SP5

os2fan2

I slipstreamed SP5 into a Windows 2k SP0 (ie release). There were a number of files that caused the install to stop or pause with an error message. So i decided to fix this.

dosnet.inf

You need to include the file disk1 into this copy. This file is required to be in the $winnt$.~ls directory, so that Windows will find things.

[Files]
;...
d1,disk1
;.....

Txtsetup.sif

There are five files that someone is attempting to put into the dllcache, however it does not work this way.

You need to remove or comment any line that contains the string ",44" (ie comma, 4, 4)

[SourceDisksFiles]

dmdiag.exe = 1,,,,,,,3,0,0
dmdiag.exe = 1,,,,,,,44,0,0 <--- delete this line

W

hmmz, if im correct this actualy does work on a (normal (non dos-initiated) install), at least it did when i tested it a while back ...

but i guess, if this is the problem, there need to be found other ways...

in that case i realy think we'd better, create an sfx (self extracting archive to fix those 2 or 3 files in this particular case, than to re-create the exe and letting people re-download a 200+ mb file,

but on behalf of all the USP5 users i'd like to thank you for reporting and fixiing this.... (Y) GOOD JOB(Y)

*/me adds os2fan2's name to this project's wall of fame...

I thought i saw a bug, i did, i did.

Here goes. Visual c 6.0 drops a number of run-time files, normally accessed via vr6redist.exe in NT4 / Win98. However this proggie does not run under windows 2000, more because the installer is prevented from doing so. If you dismantle the installer, and write a batch file, it runs like a treat.

Since there is no clear way of installing vc6 runtime files into win2k, i decided to see what it takes to integrate the stuff into the base install.

Since i noticed this first in sp5, i thought it was a bug there, but neither the base install sp0, nor sp4 have the necessary files either, so i conclude it is a distribution-bug. None the same it is a legitimate space to correct this in sp5.

W

if indead it is required .... but im not realy familiar with Visiual c, so could tell (n'or test this)

but if indead this adds, so extra 'used' functionality its very welcome