Will formatting my USB flash drive damage it?

I found this site, which shows you how to install and run Linux from your USB flash drive.

http://www.althack.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=27

I have a 1 GB flash drive and I am curious to try this. But one of the requirements is to format the USB drive. Now, I want to know what the effect of formatting my USB drive will be. Will it still be usable after the format? Can it still be recognized by windows after i format it, but before installing Linux on it? What about after installing Linux on it? Say, i format it and install linux on the drive. The total used space then comes to (assume) 200 MB. So i still have around 800 Megs free. Will i be able to use this free space normally, in windows or will it be usable only in Linux?? Has anybody tried this before?

I’ve used the HP USB disk storage format tool on a Sandisk 256M flash drive.

If you format it as FAT or FAT32 Windows will still recognize the drive, and yes

You will still be able to use the free space. As long as Windows recognizes the disk

format ( FAT, FAT32 ) (or NTFS for winXP) it will appear as just another hard drive with a bootable OS (Linux). Do not format it to NTFS for Linux. Win XP reads and writes to all three file systems while Win9x

and Linux only read and write to FAT and FAT32

Edited by RJM

(or NTFS for winXP)

NEVER

format a USB stick (i.e. flash memory) as NTFS (or, in Linux, as REISERFS) they are semi-journaled or journaled filesystem, you can WEAR OUT your stick in a few hours.

Under Windows XP, you will need to use the EWF (Enhanced Write Filter) from Windows Embedded to prevent NTFS to continuously write to your stick.

It is OK to use NTFS on USB Hard Disks, of course.

The most compatible format is FAT16, not FAT32, as some motherboards (elder) won't boot from a FAT32 formatted stick.

Read these:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16186

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16239

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Most people have answer yes. mmmmm....... this is intresting as I have come across a few manufacturers who specifically say NOT to format their usb flash drives as it will render the hardware useless

• 1 month later...

Ive formatted sandisk, lexar, belken, and a few others. there is no resion why formatting it would make it unuasable.

so, yes, windows will be able to read/write it after the format. and after the linux install, if its not turned to ext2/3

• 2 months later...

1. Formatting is harmless

2. Only format usb drives as FAT32

3. You would have no problem using the extra space even after you install linux, just don't use it all up (as linux might need some of that space.

Edited by taltamir