[rant] Winamp 5.2 SHOUTcast browser

Dobby

...of course it depends on your point of view I guess but Winamp has come under quite a bit of criticism with the release of 5.2 and new, some say slow or difficult, SHOUTcast browser plus other extras. I like the idea of the portable device support but to be honest the new Creative explorer does the job just fine for me.

The nice dynamic search box in the browser was quick and easy to use but is no more. Plus they are starting to include adware albeit optionally but it's the beginnings of the path to the dark side.

I also don't like the general attitude of members on the Winamp forum. I've noticed any comments or criticism about their browser have been met with extremely defensive even out right rude retaliation. People have just been told to to "live with it". If it was one person then fine. But many people have been constructive in their comments and to just dismiss them as idiots seems a little narrow minded.

I don't really visit many forums but I guess I'm just spoilt with MSFN :P I guess maybe Winamp is getting too big for it's boots.

[/rant]

Sorry. I felt I had to voice my opinions.

So I'm gonna start looking for another player or maybe even write my own! (I'm not kidding I am a software developer:) )

So I'm gonna start looking for another player or maybe even write my own! (I'm not kidding I am a software developer:) )

GO 4 IT

I think you can do it, just make sure if u do so add all features that u normally wudn't get

just 2 list a few

swap picture in picture all file formats without 2nd and 3rd party codecs etc

don't go 2 the world let the world come 2 u

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm still using Winamp 2.72 for MP3 playing. Works fine and isn't too bloated.

However, for watching video I use Microsoft Activemovie. It's even less resource-consuming than WMP.

Edited by LLXX

It's not really an issue unless you use the SHOUTcast feature which is a little problematic. I guess the intention is to give more exposure to ALL the stations but the implementation uses javascript and is pretty slow.

• 2 weeks later...