Question about Win2K and Media Player 9.0

First, the specs on the PC I am running

PII 350 MHz

384 MB RAM

32MB PNY Verto Video Card

DirectX 9.0a

Win2000 SP3

I have noticed a degradation in audio playback performance when using the visualizations in MP 9 (unless I use bars as a visualization). For example, when I play an MP3 using drinkdeep as a visualization, the song becomes choppy until I switch the visualization to bars or none. What seems to be the issue?

Open up Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. Then choose a visualization that makes the sound choppy... is the CPU usage at 100%?

Some of the WMP9 visualisations are a big CPU resource hog, and your 350MHz is probably not powerful enough to cope with the load, this is what makes the sound choppy.

Some of the WMP9 visualisations are a big CPU resource hog ...

Yes, WMP9 don't have any kind of framerate restriction, but that should'n be a problem! - When I say (write) should I mean that MS should have aranged it so that the playback has higher priorety than the visualization! - If not, then its indeed very :) !

Open up Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. Then choose a visualization that makes the sound choppy... is the CPU usage at 100%?

Some of the WMP9 visualisations are a big CPU resource hog, and your 350MHz is probably not powerful enough to cope with the load, this is what makes the sound choppy.

I will try that. But if that's not the case, what else could it be?

First, the specs on the PC I am running

PII 350 MHz

384 MB RAM

32MB PNY Verto Video Card

DirectX 9.0a

Win2000 SP3

I have noticed a degradation in audio playback performance when using the visualizations in MP 9 (unless I use bars as a visualization).  For example, when I play an MP3 using drinkdeep as a visualization, the song becomes choppy until I switch the visualization to bars or none.  What seems to be the issue?

I would say that the processor is the bottleneck of the whole thing. It isn't capable of delivering the processing speed required my wmp9 4 the visualisations. I hav the same prob on my pc. I fixed it by disabling visualisations, cuz they just annoy me anyway and hog resources