HFSLIP and multiboot disks

troy

Ok, until now, I've been maintaining 3 seperate CDs (not counting 98/me and various support disks), which has been a huge PITA to keep up with, so I'm now working on building my first all-in-one DVD. I'm up to about 2.8GB (wonder what Vista and MCE is going to do to this).

Anyways, I've been having some wonderful luck with XP, with the exception of a path problem with mp10setup in HFSVPK_SW (I'm about to give up and slipstream it from HF instead).

The problem is coming from 2K Pro. If I build a straight CD with 2k in i386, it works awesomely. However, if I follow the multiboot directions (which take me to flyakite.msfnhosting.com), things go south real quick.

1) When using the boot disks from the SP3 OEM CD to boot a fully slipstreamed/updated install, I get a BSOD real quick.

2) I installed from a single-boot HFSLIP'ed CD, then ran "winnt32.exe /norestart" to get a good boot folder. BSOD problem solved, but now setup thinks it's a friggin upgrade and not an OEM, as clearly indicated in my SETUPP.INI:

[Pid]
ExtraData=64766769766D6B766768820497EA44
Pid=51873OEM

It's not my WINNT.SIF, since that works flawlessly if I boot straight to the I386 folder on the root fo the CD/DVD. While this is a reasonable solution, I would like a cleaner solution.

Can anyone offer any guidance or help me understand why setup thinks my slipstreamed OEM source is an upgrade version?

much thanks for any help!

I never made a multiboot cd, but I have some stupid questions. Have you tried the multiboot option on a non-hfslipped 2k? On the flip side, when you run hfslip, did you type in the proper path when prompted?

I haven't tried creating a multiboot w/o hfslip yet, but will do so before pulling all my hair out. The BSOD/Upgrade issue with Win2k doesn't appear to be HFSLIP related, it seems to be a Microsoft quirk (gee, who woulda thunk it?).

As for XP, I did put the path in, exactly as prompted. I think I know what the problem is though, it's the code that generates HFSLIP.CMD:

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE cmdow @ /HID
Title HFSLIP
FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\WINXPHOME\I386\SVCPACK SET HFSLIP=%%i:\I386
start /wait %HFSLIP%\SVCPACK\MP10SETUP.EXE /C:"setup_wm.exe /Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR /B %SYSTEMROOT%\*.TMP') DO (
ATTRIB -R %SYSTEMROOT%\%%I
DEL /F /Q %SYSTEMROOT%\%%I
)
SET PREP=%~dp0
CD /D %HFSLIP%
EXIT

%HFSLIP% Is getting set to "D:\I386", and not "D:\WINXPHOME\I386\"

What I don't know (yet), is if this will resolve the entire issue or not, though this is the only reference I've been able to find in the entire slipstreamed source.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I also got an error regarding SP2.CAB while preparing both versions of XP for the multiboot. This was while running WINNT32.EXE /noreboot from within both XP and 2K environments. I know SP2.CAB was merged into another cab file, but there are still references to it it in DOSNET.INF, LAYOUT.INF, and NTPRINT.INF. I did not check through any of the compressed files.

Multiboot patch & DOSNET.INF: try the latest test release (60313a) in the other thread.

LAYOUT.INF...

Editing this file requires modded DLLs because it's a protected file.

NTPRINT.INF...

I have to check into this. Is it a protected file?

NTPRINT.INF is a Unicode file so all HFSLIP can do (provided something actually needs to be done) is add lines to it.

You can try the attached script. It supposes there's an existing SOURCESS folder so run HFSLIP first. It adds lines to NTPRINT.INF containing the file names which were originally in the SP cab file and tells Windows setup that the files in question reside in the driver.cab file now.