HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Here's some pointers...

a - make sure that your hfslip folder doesn't have any spaces or weird symbols.

good - d:\hfslipxp

bad - c:\documents and settings\username\desktop\hfslip.

bad - d:\!hfslip*\&hfslip.

b - Make sure your HF folder has properly downloaded hotfixes.

c - for troubleshooting's sake, don't use hfcabs or try to slipstream WMP11 or HFAAOs or Replace. Once you get the pesty stuff resolved, then you can add that stuff back in.

The error was isolated and new beta posted. Sorry about that.

Sorry for replying in late, i've test latest hfslip build (beta J +mimo hfslipfc) yesterday, and it's working fine with XP French SP3 Pro (not vlk), installation went fine.

Thanks for the fix :thumbup

tommyp, thanks for your pointers. My problem was indeed a very simple and embarrassing directory naming issue, not noticed until a proper night's rest, lol.

All seems fine now! Thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So now support has dropped anyone is free to extend HFSLIP? Can we move the HFSLIP project to sourceforge?

With the two Tommies giving up on this project, our only hope is FDV is willing to take on this project. HFSlip looks deceptively simple, the keyword being deceptive. Anyone can open up the CMD files and looks at the codes, but not everybody can make head or tails out of it. I am willing but unfortunately not capable. Moreover, with XP being phased out by Microsoft, its only a matter of time this project is killed anyway.

What I don't understand is why all the links to download are removed. nLite support ended long ago, but users can still download the program, which leads one to wonder why HFSlip was removed so completely, with not one single link remaining, and I should know, as I search for the latest Beta on this site and the web in general. Heck, even the link to the stable release 1.7.9 was removed. I would not mind providing some storage space to host these files, but I cannot even find the files. Moreover, I am wondering if there is any legal reasons why the links removed it the first place.

Edited by kenlau

Tom doesn't want it sent to Sourceforge (it has to be him, the copyright holder, to submit it anyway).

In fact, he doesn't want it distributed at all anymore. I'll make a more general announcement in a new topic.

Will you buy and drive a car thats not finished being made? I don't think so.

You guys here want people to pay for unfinish programs, apps etc...

and then if we don't, then you want to kill support. Lets say I donated and you killed support

for it anyway, then I would be out some money.

I don't want anything unfinished especially if I have to pay for it. If you want donations maybe you should

have a finished product. BOTTOM LINE!

Your analogy does not fit free community projects, Hu$tle. Donations are meant as a form of encouragement, and also as a measure of how useful the existing resources are to you. If you've benefited and feel that the project should live on then it behooves you to show your support. Can't donate, for whatever reason? Then find another way of showing your appreciation, such as spreading the word about the project, or even just saying a heart-felt "thank you."

If you can't say something nice about the project and its authors, or offer constructive criticism or support, then your comment is not helpful to anybody.

Lets say I donated and you killed support for it anyway, then I would be out some money.

But you would have showed your support for the project, which is perhaps more important. You should consider the money donated as compensation for the time and effort you have saved. Is this not the point of paying for a valuable service?

If you want donations maybe you should have a finished product. BOTTOM LINE!

The product, as you say, is the service. HFSLIP's authors were providing a free service. Bottom line that.

I totally agree with FDV on sourceforge. HFSLIP isn't meant to be repackaged with a new license and redistributed. It's against the terms and conditions.

Thank you for pointing that out, 5eraph. Let me be bold enough, and honest enough, to say that Hu$tle has not donated a single dime toward the project/service. He never thought it was good or helpful to him I guess.

I've thoroughly enjoyed HFSLIP and felt motivated enough to donate a few times. For those who donated, is there still an avenue for obtaining the last release and potentially even support?

(I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here; sorry if it causes too much trouble.)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a mirror/save from the hfslip.org site? I know the support is ended for it and everything, and I dont want anything else, just to look at what was on the site.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys here want people to pay for unfinish programs, apps etc...

and then if we don't, then you want to kill support. Lets say I donated and you killed support

for it anyway, then I would be out some money.

I don't want anything unfinished especially if I have to pay for it. If you want donations maybe you should

have a finished product. BOTTOM LINE!

Oh no he DIDN'T!!!! (sorry couldn't help myself :P )

Edited by NtegrA

• 2 weeks later...