HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

hi Lilla! sorry for jumping into this just now ... this may not be the resolution but have you tried using Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86 by strel (previously started by tomcat)? it works well with hfslip ... i tried to ask about the xps printer updates in passing somewhere in the thread ... could be worth a shot

cheers!

To reconsider what updates I was including was good advise, and is how I found the problem. However sometimes even after reading the KB article, it is hard to know if one should include or exclude an update. This is certainly the case with these three printer updates.

Lilla

All KB articles say what software is affected. In the case of the XPS printer one, the article said something along the lines of .net 3. Remember, .net3 is a separate program, just like MS Office. It's not part of the OS install disk. HFSLIP pretty much concentrates on OS specific things, not post install stuff like office, .net, other.

To reconsider what updates I was including was good advise, and is how I found the problem. However sometimes even after reading the KB article, it is hard to know if one should include or exclude an update. This is certainly the case with these three printer updates.

Lilla

All KB articles say what software is affected. In the case of the XPS printer one, the article said something along the lines of .net 3. Remember, .net3 is a separate program, just like MS Office. It's not part of the OS install disk. HFSLIP pretty much concentrates on OS specific things, not post install stuff like office, .net, other.

Tommyp,

Thank you for that clarifying explanation. When I think about it that way, it makes total sense to me that I should EXCLUDE those three printer updates in my HFSLIP build.

Edited by Lilla

hi Lilla! sorry for jumping into this just now ... this may not be the resolution but have you tried using Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86 by strel (previously started by tomcat)? it works well with hfslip ... i tried to ask about the xps printer updates in passing somewhere in the threa ... could be worth a shot

cheers!

Kiki,

Thanks for sharing your thought. It is relevant to this discussion for sure.

A while back I had a look at that site, but I wasn't comfortable with all the decisions about what to include and exclude so I didn't try it. Doesn't mean it isn't great and wonderful, just that I decided I didn't want to spend the time it would take to get my mind wrapped around all the decisions involved.

As it is, I simply install .NET Framework immediately after I install Windows. I install it from Microsoft/Windows Update. I'm OK with this.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

... it makes total sense to me that I should not EXCLUDE those three printer updates in my HFSLIP build.

Excuse me Lilla, but did you mean to say that you plan to EXCLUDE those three printer updates, ie NOT use them, or that you plan to NOT exclude them, ie USE them? From the context of your message you caught me off guard - I expected you to say the opposite of what you did.

Cheers and Regards

... it makes total sense to me that I should not EXCLUDE those three printer updates in my HFSLIP build.

Excuse me Lilla, but did you mean to say that you plan to EXCLUDE those three printer updates, ie NOT use them, or that you plan to NOT exclude them, ie USE them? From the context of your message you caught me off guard - I expected you to say the opposite of what you did.

Cheers and Regards

Thank you. My mistake. I plan to EXCLUDE those three printer updates in my HFSLIP build.

I fixed the wording in my post now.

Edited by Lilla

• 3 weeks later...

Tommyp, I was looking to use WinSetupFromUSB with my build/update process (HFSLIP to Nlite to CD). Would like to go HFSLIP to Nlite to WinSetupFromUSB. WinSetupFromUSB uses <USB ROOT DRIVE>\Winsetup\XPpSP3\ as it's directory structure before it gets to the root of the XP install. What do I need to watch out for with hard coded path in the .inf files (if any) when using my \SOURCESS build?

You need to read carefully the following 2 threads - IE8 integration on XPSP3 breaks with "manual" install and This update was not built into my system. It seems there has been SOME success in trying to do this, but it hasn't been consistent. This is also somewhat similar to the fact that repair installs using HFSLIP prepared disks don't work either (though it seems to me like it should) Google for threads where this is discussed. tommyp's main position is that HFSLIP was designed and is meant for use for clean installation from CD/DVD, and for that purpose it works just fine. It seems that it is something that HFSLIP does or doesn't do that causes USB based installations to fail, but unless something has changed lately he is currently not able to invest very much time in trying to sort out what's different between nLite and HFSLIP such that one works from USB and one doesn't. I know there are others who would like this situation to be resolved, so you're not alone in your request. Even though many are switching to Windows 7 there is still a lot of life left in XP. In fact both tommyp and fdv just recently, finally, switched to XP from Win2K themselves.

If you are willing to do a LOT of the work and tests yourself, tommyp MIGHT be talked into reviewing your results and offering his advice, and if the problem can be further narrowed down, maybe even making a few changes to see if anything can be improved. Once you get started, others might join in and help with their own tests, expanding on your results, but you'll probably have to get the ball rolling. If you wish to proceed, I would suggest making a few attempts yourself, noting carefully the errors, and report your findings, or your success if you're lucky, preferably in a new thread. Hopefully then we can create a dialog and make some improvements. Good luck and please do keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

You need to read carefully the following 2 threads - IE8 integration on XPSP3 breaks with "manual" install and This update was not built into my system. It seems there has been SOME success in trying to do this, but it hasn't been consistent. This is also somewhat similar to the fact that repair installs using HFSLIP prepared disks don't work either (though it seems to me like it should) Google for threads where this is discussed. tommyp's main position is that HFSLIP was designed and is meant for use for clean installation from CD/DVD, and for that purpose it works just fine. It seems that it is something that HFSLIP does or doesn't do that causes USB based installations to fail, but unless something has changed lately he is currently not able to invest very much time in trying to sort out what's different between nLite and HFSLIP such that one works from USB and one doesn't. I know there are others who would like this situation to be resolved, so you're not alone in your request. Even though many are switching to Windows 7 there is still a lot of life left in XP. In fact both tommyp and fdv just recently, finally, switched to XP from Win2K themselves.

If you are willing to do a LOT of the work and tests yourself, tommyp MIGHT be talked into reviewing your results and offering his advice, and if the problem can be further narrowed down, maybe even making a few changes to see if anything can be improved. Once you get started, others might join in and help with their own tests, expanding on your results, but you'll probably have to get the ball rolling. If you wish to proceed, I would suggest making a few attempts yourself, noting carefully the errors, and report your findings, or your success if you're lucky, preferably in a new thread. Hopefully then we can create a dialog and make some improvements. Good luck and please do keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks for the well thought out response. I’ll read those two threads later tonight.

I did some tests tonight and as you predicted there were issues in the initial file copy phase. Probably about 25-30 “files not found” so I am assuming those have hard coded paths in .inf’s or requirements that would have to be manually edited to make this possible. As you stated HFSLIP was designed for CD/DVD platform and it works great for that purpose. It’s reliability and the fact that it runs very quickly and w/o intervention is one of the selling points for me. Plus mim0's updated list is unmatched and makes version control very easy. Nlite is great at what it does as well. I’ve gotten to the point where I want to migrate to USB for all installations so I was looking at an app to bridge that gap. WinSetupFromUSB seems to be furthest along and offers multi-OS USB installations which at this point is really attractive.

So my question is, since I never had a need to tweak any of the .inf or file manifests, how do I correlate failed file copies to the corresponding .inf to check or validate why they are not being picked up upon setup? Is there a good starting point for this process? I validated that the files are indeed on the USB so I guess I need to work backwards to get to a place where I debug the errors.

Thanks again.

New beta is up that fixes the french xp home file copy issue.

Known issue - when slipstreaming ie8, the user can't enter in a user password at the logon ui. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I'll glady accept inputs on how to fix it. Apparantly this issue was around ever since IE8 was introduced.

New Beta doesn't pass "What driver compression level do you want?"

hfslipbetai.th.jpg

Script close itself after choosing "a,b,c,d,e,f" (same if I hit "Enter" using default "a" choice). I haven't add files, or changed anything till my previous use with beta H, I never had problem before.

OS running: XP Pro French (32 bits) with SP3 (update)

OS target & source to build with hfslip: XP Pro French 32bits

Maybe a bug with latest beta ?

ps: i haven't see logfile in hfslip dir...

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I would like to thanks you for great program, and now I would like to know which files are needed to put in the HFTOOLS folder and where can I download them?

- In HF folder i put the Hotfixes, SP3, WMP11 and IE8

- In HFCABS i put IEAWSDC.CAB, LegitCheckControl.cab, MUAuth.cab, MuCatalogWebControl.cab, muweb_site.cab, OGAControl.cab, opuc4.cab, SWFLASH.CAB and wbemoc.cab

- In HFGUIRUNONCE i put UPHClean-Setup.msi

- In HFSVCPACK_SW1 i put WindowsXP-KB979306-x86-XXX.exe

- In SOURCE i put the windows installation

- In FDVFILES, HFSVCPACK, HFSVCPACK_SW2 and REPLACE i didn't put anything

Is correct, right?

Now I need to know what to put in the HFTOOLS folder, i'm waiting for answers, thanks a lot!

Edited by AndreOwN

Please visit hfslip.org and review the instructions listed for what goes where. It's pretty detailed on what's needed and where to get them.

Edited by tommyp

I have run this three times to make sure I didn't do something wrong, but it seems that the latest HFSLIP beta (1.7.10 J) completely stops processing after extracting the HFs.

I see a SOURCESS folder, a WORK folder, and a TEMP folder when it starts running. After HFSLIP goes and extracts what looks like all of the HFs, the TEMP folder disappears, leaving me with just a WORK folder and a SOURCESS folder. The WORK folder is 198 MB and the SOURCESS folder is 4.55 MB. There is no log.

I ran HFSLIP on the default compression with no multi-boot CD option.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I admit I'm not very technically knowledgeable, but I will do my best to provide any information needed to figure this out.

EDIT---one last experiment before bed---I found HFSLIP 1.7.9 beta m on my backup drive and ran all of my current slipstream files through this old version. The files processed fine with no errors (presumably; I haven't actually tested the resulting ISO). So I think that means that there is something fishy with the latest beta (1.7.10 J) and not with any of the files or hotfixes themselves?

Edited by Ruu