HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Check which versions of HFSLIP you used (Add/Remove Programs or WINDOWS\inf\HFSLIPWU.INF). This started with test release 80116a; version 80101a was still fine.

TomCat,

Are you going to update your upDate Lists - to add the fixes until January !?

I already put them on my hfslip folder, here is everything working fine.

Btw, any problem, if i put a list like yours but with the links to Portuguese Brazilian patches !?

Thanks

Check which versions of HFSLIP you used (Add/Remove Programs or WINDOWS\inf\HFSLIPWU.INF). This started with test release 80116a; version 80101a was still fine.

how exactly did hfslip manage to keep just those three specific hotfixes out ? I ask because I have a ton of not-public/not in your list hotfixes and I was wondering if all of those were getting integrated as intended ?

I was going to add a bit about control panel entries to my previous posts, but they are all buried in this thread. I'll do it anyway and hope that TC doesn't mind too much :)

YourCPL

Put anything you like in Control Panel – FREE

Some of the items in your Start menu really belong in Control Panel. YourCPL puts them there. Anything you can run from a command line can be added. In the screenshot I have added Regedit and the sound volume control but you can have as many entries as you like. V1.2 fixes a rarely seen bug.

Folder2MyPC

The main features:

- Add/change/remove any folder and programs in a folders "My Computer" and "Control panel",

- You can chose how you want to open the folder (in a new window or not),

- Customize the shortcut's icon,

- Create shortcut's both for the current user and for all users of PC,

- Can be translated to other languages,

- Program loading for display of new folders, after creation of folders is not required.

Does anyone have any idea why whenever I try to use any build of 1.7.4, I get weird non-hidden desktop.ini files in my start menu and all subfolders within the start menu? Building an updated SOURCESS folder with v1.7.3 does not produce this problem. If you need me to rebuild with v1.7.4rc2 and send off the HFSLIP logs, just ask.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using HFSLIP without problems and many thanx to all of you still improving this very useful "slipstreamer".

Anyway I can't figure out some things:

1. why is showing Roots Update in MS Update even the newest rootsupd.exe (12/13/2007) is in HF folder? is there somethenig else I miss to configure?

2. why WindowsXP-KB925877 (RDC MUI update) can't successfuly integrate? Just because it is MUI?

3. why Windows Live messenger 8.1 isn't installed even in HF folder and Msnexplr=On is set in Components (just the old version 4)?

Thanx for any answer. BTW I'm doing a standard (so nothing special) Windows XP Sp2 English slipstream.

FYI Also find out that there is a new MUAuth.cab, guess replace the old one in HFCABS folder

I'm using HFSLIP without problems and many thanx to all of you still improving this very useful "slipstreamer".

Anyway I can't figure out some things:

1. why is showing Roots Update in MS Update even the newest rootsupd.exe (12/13/2007) is in HF folder? is there somethenig else I miss to configure?

2. why WindowsXP-KB925877 (RDC MUI update) can't successfuly integrate? Just because it is MUI?

3. why Windows Live messenger 8.1 isn't installed even in HF folder and Msnexplr=On is set in Components (just the old version 4)?

Thanx for any answer. BTW I'm doing a standard (so nothing special) Windows XP Sp2 English slipstream.

FYI Also find out that there is a new MUAuth.cab, guess replace the old one in HFCABS folder

1. I don't have this problem on a test install I did yesterday, so it seems like you miss something. Have a look at Tomcat76's hotfix list and such to correct it.

2. I don't have KB925877 in my HF folder. I can't check at current if it's replaced or something, but since it's not in my HF folder, I'm positive that you won't find it in Tomcat76's update lists either.

3. MSN Explorer is not the same as Windows Live Messenger (used to be called MSN Messenger). If you want to include Windows Live Messenger, you'll have to create a switchless, silent installer package for it and place it in your HFSVCPACK folder. There is a short tutorial on here somewhere on how to create your own Windows Live Messenger package.

Dawid...

In general, the answer is that HFSLIP was made primarily to "satisfy" Windows Update as far as components are concerned that are part of Windows (with a few exceptions such as WMP9 for Win2K). Adding other hotfixes and programs MAY work, but there's no guarantee; HFSLIP assumes certain standards with regard to the internal composition of hotfixes and the destination of files that aren't present in the Windows source, so if there are any that need special treatment (renaming of files, non-standard locations, etc.) they won't be slipstreamed correctly.

1) If you're using the roots update from 12/13/2007, either the file you have is corrupt or something went wrong during its installation at T-13. See my hotfix list for Windows XP and remove anything that isn't listed. If this works, you can start to experiment with other hotfixes.

2) KB925877 contains many files that need special treatment. This hotfix isn't covered by HFSLIP because it doesn't show up on Windows Update. I could create an HFSLIP plugin for it if I have some time to spare, but why aren't you just using WINDOWSXP-KB925876-X86-RUS.EXE?

3) MSN/Live Messenger isn't part of Windows. If you want this handled by HFSLIP, you can extract MsnMsgs.msi from the exe and place it in HFSVCPACK_SW1.

Thanx Tomcat76 for the answer.

1. well, I doublechecked rootsupd.exe (292952 bytes) so I'm sure it isn't corrupt. Guess there will be problem with another hotfixes I'm using (see attached listing), because I'm installing Windows XP SP2 with Slovak MUI ('cause there is no Slovak localized version :()

2. KB925877 shows up on Windows Update just in case of installing MUI and it's really ironic, that there is no WINDOWSXP-KB925876-X86-SKY.EXE (slovak just czech - WINDOWSXP-KB925876-X86-CSY.EXE), but it IS showing on Windows Update :) Maybe the same problem is with IE7MUI-x86-enu.exe

3. I think that MSN/Live Messenger IS part of Windows (see file MSNMSGS.MS_ on Windows osurce CD), but of course I can put MsnMsgs.msi in HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder. I was just wondering, if in i386 is the same file (MSNMSGS.MS_ after HFSLIP with Install_Messenger.exe placed in HF folder, it's just bigger), setup will install a newer version...

BTW arte there some new components on Windows Update, because it's requiring something to install?

HFFolder.txt

Windows comes with "Windows Messenger", the one you said you were seeing (version 4.7).

If KB925877 is showing on Windows Update then you have an MUI installed. That's not supported by HFSLIP because none of use have it. This is the reason why MUI updates aren't supported.

Windows Update works fine here. As I said, something is going wrong at T-13 for you (files are not registered or INF files are not executed).

I'll need the full HFSLIP.LOG file (zipped) to know more...

Thanx Tomcat76 for your support.

I've just finished a few test with the final 1.7.4 version and discovered that the problem with roots update is gone. Also I don't know, what exactly Windows Update requiered in my previous installs, because in the last test there was no need of updating compenents. Well, sorry for bothering, seems like everything is OK now. Hypotheticly is there a possibility, that something is not processed as expected on a slower PC (like Thinkcentre E50 9216)?

Guess I forget, that MUIs aren't supported by HFSLIP.

And about MSN/Live Messenger I was just curious and little bit confused (mostly by MSNMSGS.MS_ file), but I found out, that file MMSSETUP.CAB is important in "installing" MSN/Live Messenger, so putting Install_Messenger.exe in HF folder is just useless, but perfectly processed by HFSLIP :)