HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

the_guy - if you have a slipstreamed source, there is typically a SP#.CAB, where the # is the service pack that is slipsteamed. The SP#.cab files have some binaries that are updates of the driver.cab binaries. With 2k, some of the dx9 binaries have to get packed in the driver.cab. Sometimes, there are hotfix binaries that have to get packed into the driver.cab too. Perhaps there is a workaround to create an optional hfslip pre-processing script to merge the sp#.cabs and driver.cab. If a hotfix and/or hfexpert drivers needs to get added during the normal hfslip process, an spx.cab will be created. Whattaya think? TC?

@tommyp: I understood that. What I meant is to not have driver processing if you just have IE7 updates in HF, or no files in HF, and option A was chosen for driver compression. What could be done is that there could be a variable in HFANSWER.INI such as RECOMPDRIVER=0 to cancel driver recompression, with the value ignored if DRIVERCOMP wasn't A.

the_guy

hi TC! my apologies if what i'm sharing here were based on several results from testing 70203b ...

(1) posted some dotnet issues in Unattended forum: Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20070201), Create silent switchless .NET installers for Win2K/XP/2K3 x86 ... could it be posted here in Test Release or in the new topic you started: How to slipstreasm .Netframework 1.1 and 2.0 :)

(2) Windows PowerShell 1.0 English-Language Installation Package for Windows XP (KB926139) didn't install ... tried it in HF & HFGUIRUNONCE ... no go from both locations ... i recall trying to slipstream this before but you informed me back then it wasn't supported ... until i read in

Extended changelog for HFSLIP 1.2.1

General updates:

PowerShell 1.0 is now installed at first GUI logon and localized versions are supported

Note: you need a silent .NET 2.0 installer in HFSVCPACK as this program requires .NET 2.0

(3) are there specific instructions in using HFGUIRUNONCE that i might have missed? do i really have to execute these files manually while the cmd window is active?

(4) are there specific HFSVCPACK_SW to do's prior to putting .msi files here? TimeZoneSetup.msi & UFDSetupWizard.msi didn't install (even if placed in HFGUIRUNONCE ... this was despite having dotnet1 & dotnet2 in HFSVCPACK (btw, aren't DNF11.exe & DNF20.exe, being switchless installers supposed to be placed in HFSVCPACK_SW?)

(5) is WindowsDesktopSearch-KB926356-V2-x86-ENU-6.0.5414.0 supported? i recall doing this the unorthodox way via HFSVCPACK before & if i recall it correctly, it worked ... officially though, is this download unsupported?

(6) i'm not sure if this has something to do with HFSLIP but installing drivers upon hitting GUI was problematic for me, specifically for older Install Shield Wizard ... they get stuck in the askbar without terminating automatically ... i always ended up rebooting the pc ...

please advise ...

thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

There are several problems with HFGUIRUNONCE in the previous test releases that have been fixed. Please use the latest version.

Any issues with HFGUIRUNONCE should be posted in this thread until this feature is available in a "final" version of HFSLIP. After that, start a separate thread. The main post in the .NET 1.1/2.0/3.0 thread is intended as an informative post.

Any hotfix goes in HF except otherwise noted. This is mentioned on the Basic how-to page and in several other locations. So the Power Shell installer goes in HF, and .NET 2.0 must be placed in HFSVCPACK. HFSLIP will instruct Windows setup to install Power Shell at first GUI logon.

HFSVCPACK_SW is for installers that need switches.

TimeZoneSetup.msi and UFDSetupWizard.msi require .NET 1.1. A limitation in HFSLIP requires you to place .NET 1.1 in HFSVCPACK and those two MSIs in HFGUIRUNONCE. I'll fix this in the next version so that you can place those MSIs in HFSVCPACK_SW.

Windows Desktop Search is unsupported as a hotfix. All binaries inside this executable need to go into Program Files and a lot of them exceed the 8.3 file naming standard, so support would have to be hard-coded into HFSLIP. You should try to find an addon. I'll make one if I have the time.

Don't know about 6). Try the latest test version with every file in the correct place.

MSIFIRSTLOGON won't return because it's less powerful than the HFGUIRUNONCE folder.

thanks TC! i'll try my luck again ... :) ... i've posted some concerns about dotnet installers too

HFGUIRUNONCE seems to be quite difficult to tame for me ... any additional info about HFGUIRUNONCE will definitely be helpful ...

would any of the HFs have anything to do with this?

post-84520-1171121648_thumb.jpg

this one comes up before showing the desktop

oops, i suddenly remembered, cmd window still comes up of UPHClean-Setup.msi ... ;)

are we waiting for the new MS HFs to be released before our new final? just asking ...

Edited by Kiki Burgh

i've posted some concerns about dotnet installers too
Answered in the other thread.
would any of the HFs have anything to do with this?

this one comes up upon before showing the desktop

Yes; WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe.
are we waiting for the new MS HFs to be released before our new final? just asking ...
Yes. And also for feedback on the usability of the "alternate input folders" feature.

hi again TC! my apologies if i've brought over some Qs i posted in another thread ...

hi TC! this is just to update you on what hapenned to my dotnet installs ...

in 1 run placing compressed DNF11_30.exe (=13) in HFGUIRUNONCE ... this always came up ... tried it twice ... same result

post-84520-1171125494_thumb.jpg
in another run i tried just putting DNF30 n HFGUIRUNONCE, this came up ...

post-84520-1171125575_thumb.jpg

i was expecting for this, together with the other .msis, to be executed upon hitting GUI ... :blushing: notice this too: HFSLPGUI

i tried typing the .exe & .msi filenames & they ran 1 after the other after hitting enter on every entry ... until such time that i typed EXIT in the cmd window

post-84520-1171125674_thumb.jpg

i ended up doing the install of DNF_30.exe manually followed by manual installation of other .msis (UFDSetupWizard.msi, TimeZoneSetup.msi) ...

have i missed on some very important steps here?

lastly, i may not have completely grasped this:
(3) if i'd use only the merged (13) silent installer (still to be placed in HFGUIRUNONCE, right?), what happens to installers/add-ons in HFAAO/HFSVCPACK/HFSVCPACK_SW which depend on either dotnet1 or dotnet2?
If they require .NET 1.1 they will succeed; if they require .NET 2.0 they will fail.
... given that i have some dotnet11-dependent .msis, here are my Qs?

(1) DNF11.exe in HFSVCPACK while dotnet11-dependednt .msis in HFSVCPACK_SW as per this:

Changes:

(1) MSI files (HFSVCPACK_SW)

, which gets installed 1st, dotnet11 or .msis?

(2) DNF11_30.exe in HFGUIRUNONCE and dotnet11-dependednt .msis in HFGUIRUNONCE as per this:

... either put those MSIs in HFGUIRUNONCE, or remove .NET 1.1 (or put .NET 1.1 in HFGUIRUNONCE).
, which gets installed 1st? (i've yet to see HFGUIRUNONCE work for me :( )

(3) DNF11_30.exe in HFGUIRUNONCE and dotnet11-dependent .msis in HFVCPACK_SW, how could these be installed properly if dotnet11 is a requirement?

(4) in merged DNF11_30.exe, does dotnet11 install 1st then dotnet3? or the other way around? or it doesn't matter? isn't reboot required?EDIT: answered by TC already

(5) in dealing with HFGUIRUNONCE, would it be better to have this back:

Changes:

- use MSIFIRSTLOGON in HFANSWER.INI to tell HFSLIP which MSI files should be installed at first GUI logon (1)

thanks for your patience! ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Your comments are confusing! :P

Have you tried 70208a yet? Please use that version with all the files in the right places, like Tomcat76 said. Also, make sure your .NET files for the Silent .NET maker are in the correct location, the correct entries in the answer file are set, and ALL YOUR FILES are in the right place!

Your comments are confusing! :P
perhaps because of the quotes but my questions were really simple ... perhaps even too elementary
Have you tried 70208a yet? Please use that version with all the files in the right places, like Tomcat76 said. Also, make sure your .NET files for the Silent .NET maker are in the correct location, the correct entries in the answer file are set, and ALL YOUR FILES are in the right place!
i certainly will ... when using HFGUIRUNONCE, does it really show a cmd window while still in the installation process ... you see that's what happened to me ... i'm not certain though if it was before T-13 or rightafter this part when cmd window came up ... i had to manually type names of .msis & .exe at the prompts (for those placed in HFGUIRUNONCE directory) for it to be executed ... i think there was 1 exe: DNF30 & 2 msis: timezone & ufd ... when everything else finished installing, i simply typed EXIT after this prompt: C:\WINDOWS\HFSLPGUI> to exit from this window to proceed with the normal installation of Windows ... there were 2 distinct results when putting (1) DNF11_30.exe or (2) DNF30.exe in HFGUIRUNONCE ... with (1) cmd window comes up with this prompt D:\$OEM$> while with (2)C:\WINDOWS\HFSLPGUI> ... you see i was under the impression that since this was for RunOnce, it should be prior to showing the desktop ... that's why i asked if it was how apps installation behaved for using HFGUIRUNONCE ... thanks! :) Edited by Kiki Burgh

thanks S-M! never have removed cmdow tool in HFTOOLS ... i think dealing with .exes & .msis as shown in changelog is great ... i'll try the latest test release ... i'm readying myself too for the new HFs that MS would be releasing soon ;)

Yep, MS is readying about a dozen of them patches. :lol:

Hi all,

any chance in having Branding.cab supported again for IE7 as IE7 is "recompiled" for updates ?

I'd also ask for an update in the ALTDIR folders, can you inclue a function to have different files/folder in HF :

I'm building CDs for XP Pro and XP Home.

XP Home has issues with WMP11, witch make me have to remove \WMP11 and WindowsXP-KB898543-v3-x86-ENU.exe from the HF folder and add mp10setup.exe, HMTCDWizard_FRA.exe, windowsmedia10-kb902344-x86-intl.exe, WindowsMedia10-KB917734-x86-FRA.exe, WindowsMedia-KB891122-x86-FRA.exe, WindowsXP-KB923689-x86-FRA.exe Into HF.

Can ou include a exclusion/remplace list/function for the HF folder . (Currently i've build an HF Common folder, along with HFWMP11 an HFWMP10 and a batch file that copies/replace file in the HF folder)

Thanks in advance.