HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Thanks for that and 70203b as well.

I think there's a bug. I tested 70203a in a VM. The first time I ran it my power got interrupted while it was installing, so that may be a factor. However, it occurred during GUI-mode setup, not txtmode copy. After I restarted setup, I got a bunch of error boxes saying the HFSLPxxx.INF files were missing from C:\WINDOWS\HFSLIP.

I then reverted back to a snapshot of a clean VM. Right before T-13, I got another Advanced INF Install message, but this time HFSLPGUI.INF was missing.

A bit problematic, don't you think? I didn't change a single thing in my folder structure from my last successful run except to introduce rootsupd.exe and the Feb 2007 update for DirectX, readd IE7, and update KB905474. I can still post my HFSLIP.LOG file if you want, but I don't think it will help much.

Edited by Super-Magician

I guess 70203b os not 100% ready yet, because the download link is not working.

I got hfslip-70202b to work now.. :whistle: , although I install with the network disable.

Edited by kenlau

Could you change hfslip files adding in HFSLPGUI.CMD to alphabetical order ( like it in SVCPACK.INF is ), but not in type order like it's now?:

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE CMDOW @ /HID
CD %WINDIR%\HFSLPGUI
START/WAIT langpack1.1.msi /qn /norestart ALLUSERS=1
START/WAIT langpack2.0.msi /qn /norestart ALLUSERS=1
START/WAIT 030_dotNET30.exe
START/WAIT IE7_INST.EXE
START/WAIT REGEDIT /S 000AA.reg
EXIT

I would like to make it this way:

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE CMDOW @ /HID
CD %WINDIR%\HFSLPGUI
START/WAIT REGEDIT /S 000AA.reg
START/WAIT 030_dotNET30.exe
START/WAIT IE7_INST.EXE
START/WAIT langpack1.1.msi /qn /norestart ALLUSERS=1
START/WAIT langpack2.0.msi /qn /norestart ALLUSERS=1
EXIT

Edited by dziubek

@TC

Hmm... I was wondering while there was differences in style between hfcleanup and the other parts of the script.

Anyway, this exaple simply demonstrates how the script in hfcleanup takes at least the dots in every search string as wildcard characters, and that it does possibly filter out more lines than it should.

The following change is suggested here, and the similiar places:

FINDSTR /V /B /I [color="#FF0000"]/L [/color]/G:WORK\HFCU\FILTER.TXT SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF >TXTSETUP.SIF

I would even suggest changes troughout the script, to clarify up these things:

- if wildcard searches are needed, use RegEx with /R switch

- else use /L or /C: switches to make sure no wildcard searches occur.

If anyone in doubt here is what I'm talking about:

ECHO Filtering TXTSETUP.SIF ... this might take a few seconds

Everyone who have ever run hfcleanup knows this line well. And it's true it really takes 10-20 second to process txtsetup. It's because it takes lot more processing power to make a wildcard search than a literal! After applying the /L switch hfcleanup filters txtsetup.sif like a flash. So I suggest removing that comment too ;)

EDIT: I haven't tested the differences in results... it depends on the exact searching pattern, and the strings searched for, but at least the possibility is there to be determining

Edited by whitehorses

Nice find dude. :thumbup I think this may help some of those pesty files that accidentally get erased once in a while! Only the txtsetup, dosnet and the drvindex files should be processed like this. The other hfcleanup type files should continue using the existing filtering method (i.e. without the /L switch). It will need to get tested first though. Ouch!

@TP

Hohoho :hello: Some test would be appropriate to see how many things were filtered by it. In the gfinder.zip I added some strings manually but mostly arbitary to see how big the difference can be, but I'm just curious what are the results in the "real life".

I had an issue when I run hfcleanup, that hfslipwu.inf doesn't processed during install, so none of the runonce entries where added, so WINDOWS\HFSLIP folder had all the infs unprocessed and undeleted. This for example has not occured last time with /L, but i did not run all the removers (ZZZZs mostly. Then I tried another with all, but that install stopped. maybe because ZZZ_Englishonly, which I accidentally left in, despite the fact in WINNT.SIF I enabled Hungarian)

Edited by whitehorses

Bug report with hfslip-70203b. In hfslip.cmd in svcpack, there is bad commandline

START/WAIT rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ....

Version hfslip-1.2.2 does not have this problem. The correct commandline is:

rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ....