HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Yzöwl...

Please extract MP10Setup.exe, open DRM10.inf and look at the [regwmp.dlls] section. Then tell me if I'm wrong.

Maybe you misunderstood me. What I was saying is that it isn't the first time MS release a hotfix that contains a broken binary or a binary with a broken registration section. There's "webvw.dll" in localized versions of post-SP4 hotfixes for Win2K and also "inetcomm.dll" from the OE 5.5 cumulative for all languages. There could be more.

@Super-Magician

No, it isn't ready. I just left it in so you can get used to the new size :P

Just a quick update on my problem...

The error still shows after removing MP10Setup.exe and WindowsMedia10-KB917734-x86-ENU.exe and adding WindowsMedia9-KB917734-x86-ENU.exe.

<Edit>

In HFSLIPWU.INF, I found...

1="Windows CD","WIN51",,"I386"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZ999",999,Cleanup,"CMD.EXE /C RD/Q/S ""%%SystemRoot%%\HFSLIP"""

This is an example of the second line using corrected syntax...

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZ,999,,"CMD.EXE /C RD/Q/S ""%SystemRoot%\HFSLIP"""

I hope this helps!

The syntax of the [sourceDisksNames] section is

disk-ordinal="disk-description",disk-label,disk-serial-number

Identifies and names the disk(s) that contain the source files for file copying and renaming operations. Used along with SourceDisksFiles.

disk-ordinal

A unique number that identifies a source disk. If there is more than one source disk, each must have a unique ordinal.

disk-description

A string or a strings key describing the contents or purpose of the disk. The installer displays this string to the user to identify the disk. The description is enclosed in double-quotation marks.

disk-label

Volume label of the source disk that is set when the source disk is formatted.

This is also where you name the cab file if the files are in a cab.

disk-serial-number

Unused. Value must be 0.

Forcing the volume label onto all users could be difficult for those of us creating and burning our own isos.

Why does yours not follow these rules?

</Edit>

Yzöwl...

If the error still shows after removing MP10Setup.exe then it's less likely caused by the improved WMP slipstreaming. The only thing else that "passes" that code is wmfdist.exe and wmfdist95.exe.

Concerning the RunOnceEx line...

That line was there even before I started helping TommyP. It was never a problem and it certainly cannot be the reason for the problems you're having only now.

The [sourceDisksNames] section was made just like it's done by others and I read this guide for it.

I used HFSLIP_60312-t1.CMD with WIN 2000 & XP

WINDOWS 2000:

1. KB 842773 (WinHTTP 5.1) doesn't integrate.

2. Failure of registration of chosen files: *cpl again (2000 & XP)

-> directx.cpl be active

WINDOWS XP:

3. KB 892130 Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool doesn't integrate.

4. KB 887472 (Windows Messenger) doesn't integrate.

----

5. How to download and integrate KB905474 ?

Windows Geniune Advantage Validation Tool is not an hotfix or updates, it is installed pnly after installing windows XP and as WGA talk is restricted v cant talk much about that

but remember it is like an app so u can install after setup completes for that u can use $OEM$ folder and install at the last.

It may work.

Yzöwl...

If the error still shows after removing MP10Setup.exe then it's less likely caused by the improved WMP slipstreaming. The only thing else that "passes" that code is wmfdist.exe and wmfdist95.exe.

HFSLIPWU is still used as you said because I am integrating the codecs etc.

Incidentally nullifying the HFSLIPWU.INF does remove my error problem, but solves nothing!

Concerning the RunOnceEx line...

That line was there even before I started helping TommyP. It was never a problem and it certainly cannot be the reason for the problems you're having only now.

No-one said it was the cause of my problem, it is incorrect, but if you wish to leave it in please do so!
The [sourceDisksNames] section was made just like it's done by others and I read this guide for it.
Well using that as your example the syntax is still incorrect. It should be
1="Windows CD",WIN51,,\I386

not

No-one said it was the cause of my problem, it is incorrect, but if you wish to leave it in please do so!
Ho, ho... I never said it was correct. Just thought that you were still speaking of the problem you're struggling with. I'll test your suggestion.
Well using that as your example the syntax is still incorrect. It should be
1="Windows CD",WIN51,,\I386

not

If you scroll down a bit on the page I linked to you'll see that it's done both ways. I opted for the quotes because it's generally "safer" to use them in INF files (with some exceptions). But I'll test this out too.

Yzöwl: I've tested both of your suggestions and they work. They made it into the new final. :)

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of your problem now :)

Using 'the new final' and making a couple of small changes myself, the installation now continues without error, and has automatic updates etc.

Therefore problem solved!

One of the changes I made was a continuation from my last suggestion

ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF [SourceDisksNames]&ECHO>>ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF 1="PFILES DIR","%CDTAG%",,"I386\PFILES"&ECHO/>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF

now says

ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF [SourceDisksNames]&ECHO>>ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF 1="PFILES DIR","%CDTAG%",,"\I386\PFILES"&ECHO/>>SOURCESS\I386\HFSLIPPF.INF

The other changes, (other than my usual complete re-write of :HFEYzowl) were purely cosmetic.

Usual thanks etc.