HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

@Yzöwl

I'm stumped. I really don't know what's going on there. The only thing I can suggest is that you make an HFSLIP run without XPize and the hotfixes that aren't on our lists to find out what's causing this.

However, that section nulls the MAKECAB output, so the output of the long repacking process is gone too!
Ah, OK. I'll change this in the next test :)
What do you think about adding the HFSLIP version to the ISO name or volume label? I'd like to see at a glance the version I used, not just when I created it.
I've been thinking about it. I'm hesitating because I believe the name is quite long already. The intention behind the use of the date and time was to allow people to keep previously created ISO files in the same folder (and to allow HFSLIP to successfully create a new ISO when people forgot to take out the old one) so those have to stay. I'm open to suggestions, but I prefer not to touch the volume label. :)

Okay, here's some more info on my problem.

I noticed I was getting this error, which I'd been foolishly ignoring!

hfserr3cd8.th.png

I traced this to HFSLIPWU.INF somewhere around here

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","214",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wuaueng.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","215",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wups.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","216",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wups2.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","217",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wuweb.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","218",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wuapi.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","219",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wuaueng1.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","220",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\wucltui.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","221",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\iuctl.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","222",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\muweb.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","223",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\msxml4.dll""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZB","224",0,"%11%\regsvr32 /s """%11%\msxml6.dll""""

I loaded up services.msc to once again find no Automatic Updates service. Then I ran the first command from the section I've just posted, (obviously without the unneeded switch, multiple quotes or path)

rundll32 wuaueng.dll

After a refresh in services.msc the service was now shown.

I ran Windows Update but it failed to work!

When I checked again in services.msc, the service needed starting.

However, when I tried that I got this!hfserr4pq2.th.png

A reboot later and 'all was fine', the service started and WU ran fine.

As a final addition to my woes, WU reported that I needed these

KB898461
KB892130
IE7
KB918899
KB885836

The second and third are understandable, however the other three are already in my HF folder!

Here they shown in Add or Remove Programs minus IE7 as proof.hfserr5gn9.th.png

Yzöwl...

When do you get that first error? Is that while running HFSLIP or during installation of Windows? I suppose "root" is your rename of the "Administrator" account but I wonder why it's echoed in the DOS box in that way.

The snippet you posted from HFSLIPWU.INF couldn't have directly caused an "installation error". That part does nothing more than adding entries into the registry, which need to be executed at the next (internal) reboot.

As far as those hotfixes are concerned...

First of all, I find it strange that you have all those entries in Add/Remove Programs. Do you use a custom version of that application?

KB898461--

Do you have spcustom.ref, spmsg.ref, spuninst.ref, spupdsvc.ref, update.ref and updspapi.ref in your updated installation source?

KB918899--

Can't see what could be the problem here at first glance.

KB885836--

Seems that HFSLIPWU.INF didn't get parsed in its entirety, more specifically this line:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB885836","Type",0,"Update"

Unless that line was only there to satisfy MBSA. I forgot...

When do you get that first error? Is that while running HFSLIP or during installation of Windows? I suppose "root" is your rename of the "Administrator" account but I wonder why it's echoed in the DOS box in that way.
At first logon, i.e runonceex stage

Thats what gave me the headaches too, the console window closes almost immediately the error box is OK'd. Why would the current user name be echoed, but not as the prompt? The cursor is flashing in the line underneath. If I CTRL-C in the console before OKing the error box, I get the 'Do you wish to terminate this batch' message upon returning to the console.

The snippet you posted from HFSLIPWU.INF couldn't have directly caused an "installation error". That part does nothing more than adding entries into the registry, which need to be executed at the next (internal) reboot.
No I know, all I know is that the registering of one of one or more of the wu*.dlls is not happening.
As far as those hotfixes are concerned...

First of all, I find it strange that you have all those entries in Add/Remove Programs. Do you use a custom version of that application?

The entries are only added as shown after updating and choosing show updates, none of the HFSLIPped updates are there.
KB898461--

Do you have spcustom.ref, spmsg.ref, spuninst.ref, spupdsvc.ref, update.ref and updspapi.ref in your updated installation source?

Yes they're all there 'cabbed'.
KB918899--

Can't see what could be the problem here at first glance.

Me neither
KB885836--

Seems that HFSLIPWU.INF didn't get parsed in its entirety, more specifically this line:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB885836","Type",0,"Update"

Unless that line was only there to satisfy MBSA. I forgot...

Well that will be due to my error. HFSLIPWU.INF is failing before my WU dlls are registered and [HFSLIPREG] is run, hence the error dialog.

HFSLIPWU.INF is failing before my WU dlls are registered and [HFSLIPREG] is run, hence the error dialog.
Quite a delayed error report, then. HFSLIPWU.INF is executed somewhere around T-25~19 when SYSOC.INF calls it. That snippet you posted from it is added to the registry at that time. At about T-13, during an internal reboot, those entries are parsed by Windows.

So don't you think it's strange that you only get an error message after first logon? You should've gotten one immediately...

You use the "PROGRAMFILES" feature, right? Was everything copied to the hard disk?

You know what I mean!

There is nothing wrong with the inf file running, just one or more of the lines in it at runonceex; or something else running at runonceex, stopping those entries from completing.

All I need to do now is find a way of logging the runonceex procedure and possibly whatever batch file is showing when the dialog comes up.

My program files are all copied over and working fine!

@Yzöwl

In that case, please check that all files listed under the [RegDLL] and [sourceDisksFiles] sections in HFSLIPWU.INF are present on your install share as well as on the hard disk after installation. That's all that could cause HFSLIPWU.INF from being parsed entirely.

@Super-Magician

No, that isn't intentional. Probably your DOS date settings are different from mine. I'll change the code a bit.

I think I have a BSOD at first boot because of a problem with "missing winsrv".

I have some unnecessary HF but it was not a problem before and I changed nothing. I don't have access to my HFSLIP.LOG ATM. Final was no problem, for sure.

I thought someone maybe had an info. :}

@Yzöwl

In that case, please check that all files listed under the [RegDLL] and [sourceDisksFiles] sections in HFSLIPWU.INF are present on your install share as well as on the hard disk after installation. That's all that could cause HFSLIPWU.INF from being parsed entirely.

Yes they are, all the files in [PFILESn] appear to have copied over. All the [ROROE] commands work manually after the error too, although I do get this message

MFPLAT.DLL was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered.

I'm as yet to find the cause, none of the [HFSLIPREG] settings are applied though. My only current route is to comment out each of the [ROROE] commands one by one in individual tests to see if it's any of them which are failing, I've already tried with MFPLAT.DLL, but still get the error. I have been holding off on all the other entries because the error says installation not registering.

<Edit>

The only change in that file from the August stable though is the addition of the [PFILESn] stuff from the changes implemented in WMP10 integration, I may therefore start looking at WMP and/or its updates

</Edit>

According to the DRM10.inf file from the WMP10 package, MFPLAT.dll needs to be registered.

If you get a registration error for that file, one of the hotfixes you use probably contains a corrupt version. This wouldn't be the first time...

According to the DRM10.inf file from the WMP10 package, MFPLAT.dll needs to be registered.

If you get a registration error for that file, one of the hotfixes you use probably contains a corrupt version. This wouldn't be the first time...

All of my MD5s were checked and verified with those given on this forum. I just ran all of the commands after the error box was closed and the system up and running. If you say that the file is registerable, and the message I get is that it is not, then it is more likely that
  • You are wrong!
    try the command without the silent switch
  • The problem is as I feared to do with the newer method of WMP integration.

I'll try a run without any WMP stuff tomorrow and see what happens!

Okay, here's some more info on my problem.

I noticed I was getting this error, which I'd been foolishly ignoring!

hfserr3cd8.th.png

I never had that problem before.

That error message was only known to occur under Windows 2000 SP4, using the FDV fileset and HFCLEANUP. That error message was related to MRU list removing utility, which is included with the FDV fileset. I never heard of that before with Windows XP.

I never had that problem before.

That error message was only known to occur under Windows 2000 SP4, using the FDV fileset and HFCLEANUP. That error message was related to MRU list removing utility, which is included with the FDV fileset. I never heard of that before with Windows XP.

Thanks for the idea, I do have a HFCLEANUP folder containing DBLBINXP.EXT and since I'm running out of ideas, it may be worth a look.