HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

That's a strange problem, heisking. I placed a file in HFEXPERT\WIN\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BATCH and let HFSLIP do its thing. The filename was entered into TXTSETUP.SIF correctly.

As Super-Magician said, could you attach your zipped HFSLIP.LOG file? Thanks...

I've no idea how to handle file names that start with an exclamation mark in this context. Maybe Yzöwl knows this. Would it be a problem to use an underscore or something else instead?

You would really need to turn off the delayed expansion. It may be possible to toggle off, then back on again, where required.

I would suggest you don't, not due to any difficulty, more to do with the principal. It's a similar thing to the expand and %xpand% thing we went through recently. The script is already at a stage where it needs constant update in order to remain current. It cannot be expected to cater for people using !obscure! (non-standard), naming conventions.

Whenever you work with files using command scripts and delayed expansion you expect this to happen. The script writer due to the unexpected expansion of the project, didn't forsee the introduction of 3rd party files and therefore the problem occurs. It will take considerably more work to fix at the script end than it will for the complainant to rename their own files.

In simple terms, when a script is invoked, it is read in its entirety prior to execution; (all environment variables are expanded at this time). Delayed expansion means that the environment variable is read when it is reached during execution. A delayed environment variable uses an exclamation mark, as opposed to a percent symbol, hence the problem.

The script has uses delayed expansion, because changes are made to variables within FOR loops. The HFSLP variable is incremented by one for example, meaning that its value is almost dynamic instead of static. When the script is read initially, this 'dynamic' value has not yet been created; therefore in order for it to be used it must be read at execution time.

In order to fix the problem mentioned above, every FOR loop using delayed expansion, would need to make a CALL expand the variable return back.

Even though I did use nlite, HFNetChk does not complain about any missing update.

In fact it says blablablaSP1, not SP2, blablabla and 2 files that have file versions greater than expected.

:thumbup

It's maybe the best iso I ever made.

Thanks a lot. :w00t:

@Camarade_Tux: Which version did you use?

To everyone...

Any new problems with this release? No more updates are planned for the next final release except for a "cosmetic" change in the part that handles HFCLEANUP. This needs to be rounded up as the current final doesn't handle some of the hotfixes that appear on Windows Update.

To check:

- WinXP SP1: when not including MDAC_TYP.EXE and MP10Setup.exe, Windows Update should only propose WMP10 and the Windows XP Documentation Update

- WinXP SP2: RVM Update Pack

- Win2K: Gurgelmeyer's USP5

- application addons

- HFEXPERT

KiKi, im sorry if this has been covered before, but why are you using hfslip at all if your going to use the RVM Pack? Most, if not all of the updates covered by hfslip would already be in the RVM pack i would have thought?

Dont get me wrong, its great your testing hfslip because they can always use more testers, but i was wondering. Personally, the reason i use hfslip is so i dont have to use the RVM pack.

hi Axed!

i have been using & testing HFSLIP for quite sometime now & (just like the others) i'm trying to see which fits & otherwise ... i believe doing so makes Tomcat & tommyp consider some other ideas ...

everybody's contribution is important to make HFSLIP the best it can be ...

as Tomcat & tommyp know, know that i am all for doing things the HFSLIP way ... & i couldn't agree w/ you more ...

but then again, if it always worth testing HFSLIP!

:thumbup

thanks alot to you, tomcat76!

i am using livestate too and had problems because wmplayer10 and scriptde.exe gave me errors during the installation process (. i just tried your new test-release (HFSLIP_60523a) and now it works! :w00t:

during second copying phase in setup i got errors for 40 files, starting with

qasf.dll

scrobj.dll

scrrun.dll

wshcon.dll

so if you encounter problems with livestate or winnt.exe installations - try this new release!