HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Approval already given for the hfsvcpack. Don't worry if they are too lengthy. For us old timers that have been using hfslip since it's inception, the script will automagically change the foldernames to this new scheme.

Standing by for documentation changes.

On a different subject... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

To shut Windows File Protection off:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

No need for a modified SFCFILES.DLL

To disable Windows File Protection causing it to check an empty list:

Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

No need for a modified SFC*.DLL

For complete overkill, so that Windows File Protection is shut off AND has an empty list which it doesn't even check:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

AND Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

Edited by fdv

So, are we just about ready for another final :D?

But don't forget - tomorrow's Patch Tuesday :w00t:! Another round of hotfix troubleshooting coming up :lol:!

I will test this version. I don't think you should release another final until we make sure the five new hotfixes don't clash with HFSLIP.

Edited by Super-Magician

Also I've seen a modified sfc_files.dll on vorck.com

It disables sfc by providing an empty list of protected files.

Who has tried it ?

The sfc.dl_ on fdv's site is for 2k and I use that file all the time with 2k. It *may* work with xp, but you'll have to rename it to sfc_os.dl_, xp uses a different filename. I haven't tried it though.

sfc_files.dll on vorck.com is not quite well compatible with winXP ...

this is what i'd actually report to tommyp & Tomcat76 in a different thread ... :huh:

Also I've seen a modified sfc_files.dll on vorck.com

It disables sfc by providing an empty list of protected files.

Who has tried it ?

The sfc.dl_ on fdv's site is for 2k and I use that file all the time with 2k. It *may* work with xp, but you'll have to rename it to sfc_os.dl_, xp uses a different filename. I haven't tried it though.

this is what i'd actually report to tommyp & Tomcat76 in a different thread ... :huh:

I use for winXP this file:

http://addons.ryanvm.net/ryanvm/RVMAddonsSFC_1.0.cab

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...=asc&highlight=

dziubek

Edited by dziubek

hi dziubek!

this is what i've used likewise to come up with successful builds ...

i remember seeing your msg before about being stuck at T-9 & i suppose you used the same file too ... & perhaps resolved it by using the file from RyanVM ? :)

btw, would this cat removal an option that the new test release already shows? i mean, i did not see it using the test release cmd ... how can this be done?

thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@tain

You provide us with tons of info for disabling WFP, but I've never seen a compelling reason to do so. Does WFP involve a lot of system overhead?
someone will pounce on me for this, but here goes.

i encourage people to really think about doing this... i turn it back on after i install. i am SO tired of installing apps and having them replace my dlls. i also do installs on systems other than my own (yeah, they're licensed, calm down you panicky types). the last thing i need is trying to troubleshoot someone's pc because some stupid game made for windows 95 replaced their ole32.dll when they installed it.

wfp is noticeable during the setup phase. each file that gets installed gets checked. switch WFP off and setup can really fly. i keep unmodified copies on the installed CD as "SFC.DLL.OLD" and etc. when i want to turn sfc back on, i do a switch by booting into safe mode or using bartpe.

@Kiki Burgh

this is what i'd actually report to tommyp & Tomcat76 in a different thread ...

well, i'm the guy who hosts the dll and source. i need to know what not quite means here. i'd love to see a link to that thread so i can see what the problems are.

hi fdv!

i meant no disrespect sir :whistle: in fact, i have been waiting for you to comment on this too ...

i just found out about my issues when i took out those files that i downloaded from your site ... apparently, it's more for 2K than XP as explained:

btw, the sticky thread is here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57659&st=150

it's great to hear from you! :yes:

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Thanks fdv.

I'd like to make Windows not check the list.

From here : http://www.d--b.webpark.pl/dreampackpl_en.htm , I need this method:

Second often used function is SetupInstallFile (with SP_COPY_FORCE_IN_USE flag). This function before add a file to replace-list, check with SfcIsFileProtected (from sfc_os.dll) whether the file is protected or not. If file sfc_os.dll is patched, then SfcIsFileProtected will return always false. So SetupInstallFile will no add AllowProtectedRenames value to the registry.

Do you know of any patcher that uses only this method ?

hi dziubek!

this is what i've used likewise to come up with successful builds ...

i remember seeing your msg before about being stuck at T-9 & i suppose you used the same file too ... & perhaps resolved it by using the file from RyanVM ? :)

btw, would this cat removal an option that the new test release already shows? i mean, i did not see it using the test release cmd ... how can this be done?

thanks!

Hi

SFCFILES.DL_]

Error from T -9 stepped out by file SFCFILES.DL_. I deleted his from FIX.

I use file sfc_os .dl_ only now.

dziubek

Can you add except acceptance the Y also the y by choice the removal of files of CAT ?

It's already added, dziubek. In the script, Tomcat wrote

IF /I "%THACATS%"=="Y" SET DELCATS=1

The /I switch results in a case insensitive comparison. So "y" should work as well as "Y".

Not sure if someone answered your question yet, but to remove the CAT files, you need the modified SFC*.DLL in FIX (of course, use the correct one for your OS). After the multiboot path screen, the script will ask you whether to remove the catalogs.

Edited by Super-Magician

@Kiki Burgh - Ohhh, I see. We just had a filename mixup. You had "sfc_files.dll ... is not quite well compatible with winXP" but you meant SFC.DLL, not SFCFILES.

SFC.DLL without the word "files" in it is, in fact, for Windows 2000 only, as TP directs. SFCFILES is, after all, only just a list. So nothing to see here :lol:

@Camarade_Tux - Damian advocates just SFCFILES replacement. I have corresponded with him in the past and what he is referring to is only SFCFILES being emptied out. Note he says "So WFP is on" in paragraph 3. So, to have WFP off, use a modified SFC.DLL or SFC_OS.DLL and to avoid the OS loading up a list of protected files use also an empty SFCFILES.DLL. In other words, see my post above called the "overkill" method.

@Everybody

Anyway, everybody make sure you've added yourself to the HFSLIP world map.

Edited by fdv

@Super-Magician

thanks for explanation :)

Standing by for documentation changes.

On a different subject... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

@fdv

When I used file sfcfiles.dl_ I had problem in T9 .

It sufficed to alter the name of file on sfc.dl_ problem would pass

HFSLIP.LOG.txt

Edited by dziubek