How to slipstream R2 Components into Windows Server 2003 on the same C

Hi

been messing with Windows Server 2003 R2 Trial Edition, and was wanting to ask itf its possable to combine the two disks aka Slipstream, i noticed the slipstream.inf on CD2 but have no idea how to use it.

Thanks.

Lemonzest

answering myself here, i just copied the root of CD2 into CD1 and it worked fine, the iso was just under 700MB and after it installed and logged on the first time it just continued to install the R2 components :D

• 2 months later...

Great, thanks for the info Lemonzest!

But just to get things strait, let me see if I understood this right:

Windows Server 2003 R2 has 2 CDs, CD1 for Windows Server 2003 installation and CD2 for R2 componentes integration, right? And if you could slipstream R2 into CD1, just by copying the CD2 root to CD1, then why would they (M$) release 2 CDs instead of just 1 CD with R2 slipstreamed allready?

André Casal

...then why would they (MS) release 2 CDs instead of just 1 CD with R2 slipstreamed allready?
Because you can bet that someone would complain that they just want Windows 2003 SP1 without the R2 extras but they were "forced" to.

And then we'd be faced with having both integrated and non-integrated flavours to choose from.

People already complain about the multitude of versions of XP and Vista...

• 4 months later...

another reason why it doesn't just slipstream so easy..is because R2 requires a different 'key' from that of Server....thus you have to install your edition of server with its key..then update to R2 with another key.

another reason why it doesn't just slipstream so easy..is because R2 requires a different 'key' from that of Server....thus you have to install your edition of server with its key..then update to R2 with another key.

you can also use a R2 key to install the first CD (2003 SP1) it will work and then you won't have to change the key the second time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi Would That also function on RIS install?

I have tried it With The GuidRunonce put no luck..

Yes supposedly, this is rather easy and while I set it up I didn't get a chance to test it in this configuration but instead ended up copying it as part of the $OEM$ Structure for various reasons that I won't go into. Copy the Components Directory and it's contents to the Parent Directory for your I386 directory. So You should see $OEM$, COMPNTS, I386 (and AMD64 or IA64 if you are using x64 versions). Then you have to add a line to your GuiRunonce that points it to that folder\R2 and runs Setup.exe. I may be over simplifying it, give me a few minutes, I have to go to the test lab and find the article I found when I initially had to figure this out two weeks ago...

Mike Hanson

Hi Would That also function on RIS install?

I have tried it With The GuidRunonce put no luck..

Yes supposedly, this is rather easy and while I set it up I didn't get a chance to test it in this configuration but instead ended up copying it as part of the $OEM$ Structure for various reasons that I won't go into. Copy the Components Directory and it's contents to the Parent Directory for your I386 directory. So You should see $OEM$, COMPNTS, I386 (and AMD64 or IA64 if you are using x64 versions). Then you have to add a line to your GuiRunonce that points it to that folder\R2 and runs Setup.exe. I may be over simplifying it, give me a few minutes, I have to go to the test lab and find the article I found when I initially had to figure this out two weeks ago...

Mike Hanson

I did over simplify it but here is the MS Article I used to figure it out initially.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...3.mspx?mfr=true

• 7 months later...
answering myself here, i just copied the root of CD2 into CD1 and it worked fine, the iso was just under 700MB and after it installed and logged on the first time it just continued to install the R2 components :D

Hey, I tried copying all the files and folders from cd1 and cd2 to a folder on my hard drive, without the autorun.ini from cd2 and the folder is about 755mb, way too big for a single cd. Am I missing something? What files and folders from both cds should I copy to my folder on the hard drive? :wacko:

post-165351-1197398380.png

post-165351-1197398657.png