Slow start up....

EmuMan

I used to have windows M.E and that used to load up as soon as you turned your comp on.... but now i have windows X.P and it takes ages to load up anyone know the problem and how to fix this?? :)

ok found some information dont no if this is the info you wont...

System:

Mircosoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 1

Computer:

Intel Celeron processor

801 MHz

128 MB of RAM

Ack the RAM, lol...

From those details you gave it may be because you dont have alot of RAM (memory). To run XP you really need 256mb of RAM, 512mb for more complex stuff like games etc...

Did you perform an upgrade to XP from Windows ME?

Upgrades tends to leave a lot of crap behind unfortunately.

If you can, do a clean install. Otherwise fully defrag your drives and get yourself a copy of BootVis from Microsoft. Its a Microsoft tool that runs a test on your system and optimizes its startup speed.

You'll need to run the test twice, then after that, load the second BIN file in BootVis which was created by BootVis and placed into the folder where BootVis.exe exists, then lastly choose to Optimize.

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/pe...oot/BootVis.asp

If you can, do a clean install. Otherwise fully defrag your drives and get yourself a copy of BootVis from Microsoft. Its a Microsoft tool that runs a test on your system and optimizes its startup speed.

You'll need to run the test twice, then after that, load the second BIN file in BootVis which was created by BootVis and placed into the folder where BootVis.exe exists, then lastly choose to Optimize.

agreed :), and btw i think the ram issue did not greatly affect ur startup as i had try with 64mb, 96mb with no prob...

just take bout 20sec

Totally agree with the above 2 posts. I actually have had XP installed on a PII 266/64Ram and it booted up nicely, considering. Sorry to say that after the boot, that was about all it could handle. Shutdown, however was quick also, considering.

You should do a clean install. Fdisk, format and the works. Should run nicely after that, even with 128RAM.

Nothing with 128mb on XP will run 'nicely'.

Every comp i build i make sure i put 512mb of RAM in as this works best for XP.

very true... but i dont think it will greatly affected the boot up time :)

btw emuman, how long does it take to bootup the xp?

agreed :rolleyes:, and btw i think the ram issue did not greatly affect ur startup as i had try with 64mb, 96mb with no prob...

just take bout 20sec

I got 128 in mine and its a 300mhz cyrix and it boots in like 30 secs or less :)

Nothing with 128mb on XP will run 'nicely'.

Every comp i build i make sure i put 512mb of RAM in as this works best for XP.

not true.. i seen 350mhz and 64mb of ram run it great.. processor is more important.. celeron suck(mine :rolleyes:) and athlon and pentiums are ace :)