WinPE for Vista

GaretJaxx13

I have used WinPE for some years now and figured this new version would be easy to setup, but so far i have been running into the same problem. When I make a bootable (iso) image of the new WinPE, it boots fine and then says to please wait while files are being loaded. After the progress bar has completed, I get an error that \windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupted and I can't figure out why its doing this. I used the BCDedit.exe to look at the Bootmgr and the path is correct???? Any help would be appreciated. I'm using the PEimg.wim from the latest WAIK.

I have used WinPE for some years now and figured this new version would be easy to setup, but so far i have been running into the same problem. When I make a bootable (iso) image of the new WinPE, it boots fine and then says to please wait while files are being loaded. After the progress bar has completed, I get an error that \windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupted and I can't figure out why its doing this. I used the BCDedit.exe to look at the Bootmgr and the path is correct???? Any help would be appreciated. I'm using the PEimg.wim from the latest WAIK.

How did you make the ISO image of WinPE 2.0? Did you use the WinPE.CAB file in the WAIK ISO? I have been trying to figure out a way to make a bootable CD too. Thanks.

These are the steps I did in order and I used the Winpe.wim from the AIK root X86 folder. I didn't do anything with the cab file. I expanded the cab, but I didn't try any of the files.

Winload.exe is in teh Windows\system32 folders I checked.

How do you stop using the /useNewloader?

Also, the /Prep command never works on the \build folder only on \build\windows folder.

Any help would be great!

mkdir winpebuild\build

mkdir winpebuild\tools

ximage /apply <CD path location>\winpe.wim 1 C:\winpebuild\build

peimg /install=WinPE-HTA-Package C:\winpebuild\build\Windows

ximage /apply <CD path location>\winpe1.wim 1 C:\winpebuild\build

peimg /prep C:\winpebuild\build

ximage /capture C:\winpebuild\build C:\winpebuild\boot.wim "My WinPE Image" /boot /compress max

mkdir winpe\boot

mkdir winpe\sources

copy \\<CD path location>\bootmgr C:\winpe

xcopy /cherky \\<CD path location>\boot C:\winpe\boot

ximage /export /compress max C:\winpebuild\boot.wim 1 c:\winpe\sources\boot.wim

oscdimg -n -b\\<CD path location>\etfsboot.com c:\winpe c:\winpe.iso

the peimg with the /prep switch should not have failed this probably where you are getting hte error, try running through it again from the start, fresh files, (wim etc) see if that takes care of it

You normally see it present in TXTSETUP.SIF. I'm not sure if PE 2.0 uses the same style as my XP build so if you're using that Vista loader when booting the disc, it's also possible you'll find a boot.ini on the drive root that uses /USENEWLOADER. What a mess. x_X

running from XP should be no problem, i built me 2 pe's from my XP machine, actually ximage doesn't run so well on vista, the filter does work right on it.... anyway it runs fine on XP, no which WIM are you using for the base? or you using the boot.wim or the winpe.wim to start with?

I've yet to get XIMAGE 5308 to work right doing a /MOUNT or /MOUNTRW -- it never "sees" the files, although it never gives me any errors either. Bleh. I've come to the point where I just apply the damned thing and have it over with.

I've also run into the problem with PEIMG telling you that the image was already prepped, and I've yet to be able to figure it out as it doesn't happen every time. I've found that if you do a few PEIMG /INF='s and /INSTALL's then it usually no longer bugs you about having already been through the /PREP mode. Usually. Sometimes. I guess this is why it's beta :)

Edited by Albuquerque