Windows could not load the installer for Battery.

xenz

Greeting.

Recently reinstalling Windows XP Pro lead to a problem, tried searching through this forum, found people with similar problem but yield no real solution, thus I'm posting with pictures hope that someone can give me a hand.

Error message "Windows could not load the installer for Battery. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance." shows up *AFTER* OOBE, upon first bootup. (Not one of those during GUI install and pop up Driver unsigned issue which most people had thought it was.)

post-56944-1142045266_thumb.jpg

My scenerio as follow:

- Windows XP Pro was install from harddrive via booting DOS and ran \i386\winnt.exe

- Tried nliting multiple time to narrow down the issue giving following results (every nlite process used the base ISO -> WinXP Pro with no svcpak)

(WinXP Pro + SP2) - install from DOS, OK

(WinXP Pro + SP2) - install from bootable XP CD, OK

(WinXP Pro + SP2 + hotfix) - install from DOS OK

(WinXP Pro + SP2 + hotfix) - install from bootable XP CD, OK

(WinXP Pro + SP2 + hotfix + tweak) - install from DOS, ERROR MSG

(WinXP Pro + SP2 + hotfix + tweak) - install from bootable XP CD, OK

- Situation simulated within VMWare 5.5 yield exactly same result.

- DID NOT remove any Drivers, Network Support nor services under "Remove Components" section at all.

so something along the tweaking had triggered this problem.

Will also post my "Last Session.ini" see if it helps for troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance.

Last_Session__2006.03.10_02.25.49__tweak_.ini

Edited by xenz

Wondering if I didn't remove any drivers, network support or Services, are there any benefit on enabling "recompress CAB file" option ??

I'm suspecting recompressing CAB file somehow ruin some setting causing this Battery Installer problem.

to my understanding, in nLite, once we chosen to use the Unattended section, DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore and NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore will be automatically added to WINNT.SIF's [unattended] section.

so it's in my winnt.sif also, unfortunately still giving the same error :(

After 4 days of continuous nliting and WinXP installing, you can say I finally give in or found where the problem is, and xpmaniac4ever, you are partially correct.

It is due to the reason of DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore and NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore in the [unattended] section of the winnt.sif

Seems like nlited WinXP is more gearing towards installing from CD rather than network/DOS install.

The nlited WinXP if install via a CD (or ISO within VMware) everything is a-okay, but if install via network/DOS, it will generate a WPF and says Battery Installer error.

Reason due to in the past when I do network/dos install I just run WINNT.exe with no argument, by doing so, during the initial network text setup, it create the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS folder, the nlited WINNT.SIF wasn't correctly copied from the source \i386 directory to $WIN_NT$.BT directory. Since WINNT.SIF wasn't correctly copied over, even though the DriverSigningPolicy and NonDriverSigningPolicy line were inside the WINNT.SIF, they were not available within the $WIN_NT$.~BT "version" of WINNT.SIF and that causes all the Battery Installer error. This also caused all the unattended installation information (ie. cd-key, network info) wasn't available.

if I do WINNT.EXE /u:<answerfile> /s:<sourcepath> where <answerfile> is the \i386\winnt.sif, the correct WINNT.SIF info will be copied to the $WIN_NT$.~BT "version of WINNT.SIF and no more battery problem.

I also found out even i supplied the /s:<sourcepath>, it only work within the setup (both text and GUI), but once WinXP boot up, it will change the original path's drive to the CD-ROM drive that it had detected. (ie. install from D:\i386 which is a harddrive, it will change to E:\i386 which is a CDROM), and that why it can't find the original WinXP files and will cause the Windows Protection Files error. Once i mount the nlited ISO into vmware it will work. To get around this I have to disable SFC within Nlite.

But even though it's my stupidity that I didn't use the /u: and /s: argument, I'm still puzzled which part of the Nlite process that caused the Battery Installer error.

I had narrow down to only removing keyboards, languages, Luna Themes, Tablet PC, MSN Explorer, Windows Messenger and Tour (all within the Remove Components section), by removing such may trigger WPF, but which one causes the missing Battery Installer error it's still a mystery to me.

Last but not least, Camarade_Tux, I had rule out the possibility of Security-Disable DCOM, and battery.inf + ACPI.inf were both present.

Edited by xenz

xenz, true, it's all the signature thing.

Million times I said to try winnt thing but never got to it since I have no floppy drive...gonna make some bootable cd with floppy emulated, I promise :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still puzzled which part of the Nlite process that caused the Battery Installer error.

I had narrow down to only removing keyboards, languages, Luna Themes, Tablet PC, MSN Explorer, Windows Messenger and Tour (all within the Remove Components section), by removing such may trigger WPF, but which one causes the missing Battery Installer error it's still a mystery to me.

I've been having this same problem. I've put XP on a couple laptops, and they've all given the battery installer error. VPC does not show this problem with an error message, but in the device manager, no battery is present.

I took a base XP CD, added ryanVM's update pack, then removed Keyboards and Languages, and still have the battery issue.

Don't know why either one of those would cause such a problem...

to my understanding, in nLite, once we chosen to use the Unattended section, DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore and NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore will be automatically added to WINNT.SIF's [unattended] section.

so it's in my winnt.sif also, unfortunately still giving the same error :(

Have you actually opened it up and looked inside to verify that those entries ARE really in there?

• 6 months later...
I had the same problem before. Solved by adding

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

to the [unattended] section of my winnt.sif

I'm not using Nlite so how would I get this problem solved on my laptop? It showed up after I installed a fresh copy of Windows Xp Pro.

• 8 months later...

I had this problem with a Dell Inspiron e1505 , the CD I was using worked fine with a HP Compaq but when I tried installing on this Dell I got the battery Installer error. I was using XP pro SP2 and Ryans Update pack intergrated and a few other updates from ryans site. After trying a few things to fix the problem I gave up and tried an install with my original windows disc without even SP2 then downloaded over 80 updates, worked without any problems at all.

Yumeyao has been doing some extensive work into the battery installer error here

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54422#54422

Maybe one day someone will have a solution for this error. Surely it cant be that hard to identify?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

same problem here, battery installer missing.

Can someone please give me a brief id***'s guide to what I need to do, to correct this install error, because I do not fully undersand the above.

Thank you in advance!

IZ

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure whats wrong with the guy that did not use nlite. But for those of you with this problem using nlite add battc.sys and cmbatt.sys and there INF to the keep list.

This was a problem for me a long long long time ago with nlite and the only solution was the ensure those files were kept in nlite.

Should help.

• 9 months later...