Graphic, Sound Cards, Intel and Amd

PROBLEMCHYLD

I'd go with Intel, simply because when 98se was released the dominant processors were Intel and their code is optimised for it. A late-model P4 D should work very well, and aren't subject to quite the same thermal problems that AMDs are known for.

LLXX, from an economic and budget standpoint, AMD is a sure winner. You can get a decent nForce2 motherboard (rebranded Epox, if they still got them in stock @ Geeks.com) with a socket A Sempron 3300+ CPU (which is really a rare Athlon XP 3200+ Barton CPU intended for asian OEM market), all for $110 with s&h. There is no Intel platform that can beat that performance at that price. No way.

Thermal properties, LLXX? I think TomsHardware started it all. They released a video few years ago that showed what happens to an Intel and AMD CPUs running without any colling. Heatsink or fan. AMD CPU got hot real fast. That video generated lot of publicity. I put that video in the same category as I would a video of a man eating fifteen live chickens. Pure shock entertainment. Didn't seem to harm AMD any, and rightfully so. I mean, who runs their CPU without any cooling? No really, who?

I never owned a AMD CPU until 2003. After purchasing my Athlon XP I was amazed at the performance.

• 7 months later...
I'm going with a Pentium 4

i think they are faster than AMD.

here is the case i ordered

http://store.comptechdirect.net/atxblmicawi3.html

Also what do OEM Processor mean?

GOOD or BAD

Now i need help deciding on a graphics card

ATi or Nvidia

P4 is faster than AMD only if you buy a Core 2 [EX is the fastest, Duo is slower] CPU.

Almost all older P4 editions [except maybe Extreme Gamers editions] are slower than similar generation AMD CPUs.

OEM CPU = provides only 30 days of factory [intel or AMD] warranty and in some cases does not have a heat sink. Otherwise called "white box" CPU.

Retail CPU [Non-OEM] = full 1-2 years [or whatever manufacturer provides] factory warranty.

Always comes with all accessories, including a [usually primitive, not recommended for overclocking] heat sink.

OEM and retail also apply to hard disks, video cards, modems.

In the software [M$] world:

OEM OS = installs only on a "virgin" hard disk, only as full "from-scratch" install.

Sells only bundled with at least 1 hardware component [can be a $1 power cable, depending on the respective vendor].

Full OS = installs either as stand alone or upgrade [if previous OS detected]

Upgrade OS = installs only as upgrade [if previous OS detected]

If you need a cheap OS: search ebay.

But make sure the OS is genuine from M$ = must have either COA certificate and/or security hologram.

NVidia = known for better 3D video speed.

ATI [now AMD] = known for better 3D video quality.

Check other/dedicated forums/websites for reports on how well video drivers perform in 9x OS environment, and how well they support games and 3D/multimedia/DVD apps.

Also, check web sites which post comparison benchmarks and reviews on various video controllers.

Only after that make an educated decision.

You should decide which GPU you want, for which purposes you want your new computer, like playing games, DVDs, 3D rendering, database/programming compiling or any other GPU/CPU demanding tasks = you do want the fastest [and best quality] available computer components you can find on the internet.

If you are going to use your new PC just for handling email and Office documents/spreadsheets = an older, slower PC does the job.

Keep also in mind *upgradeability* [very important keyword], for example get a mobo with at least 4-5 PCI slots, and lastest CPU socket for future upgrades, and a case with plenty of room for larger [overclockable] CPU heat sink + cooling fan, even for a future water cooling device, if you wish, and with enough room for 3-4 internal hard drives, 2-3 internal CD-R(W)/DVD-R(W)/Blu Ray/HD-DVD drives.

The mobo should have at least 3-4 USB [2.0 if possible] ports, and eventually FireWire [if you plan on using it].

Keep also in mind that Win9x/ME OSes do not support [as far as I know] PCIX video controllers.

Win9x also doesn't provide processor support for P4 CPUs. Intel does, but most of their driver installers [PCIX, SATA, RAID etc] are only for NTx OSes [2000/XP/2003/Vista].

There are a lot of good posts in these forums about which chipsets, CPUs, GPUs, disks, standards etc are supported by 9x Oses.

For example:

9x does support AGP video port.

9x does support USB with NUSB installed.

9x does support FireWire with vendor specific drivers.

Think also about a powerful enough PSU [Power Supply Unit], to accomodate all components [present + future]. Start looking for a good *quality* [also an important keyword] PSU of at least 500 W or better.

Make sure they have at least 1 fan, and preferably with modular [can be disconnected at will] connectors, so you can use only the power cables you need, without cluttering your case with unneeded cables hanging around, which would only impair cooling by blocking the air flow.

Make sure you get at least 2-4 good quality ball bearing case fans [usually 80mm], preferably with variable speed.

Example: screw in 2 fans in front of the case to blow inward and 2 in the back of the case to blow outward.

If you care about overclocking/cooling, see some dedicated web sites:

http://www.mdgx.com/pc.htm

A good quality web based vendor for highly rated PC components is NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/

Always shop around using price search + comparison engines:

http://www.mdgx.com/bench.htm#PRIC

for best prices for each component.

Always purchase with a major credit card and only from trusted vendors, so you can get your money back [by calling your credit card company to void a transaction] in case a vendor doesn't honor the money-back guarantee policy, etc.

Try to stay away from new/unrated/dubious internet vendors or from local stores/retailers.

Local retailers always charge state tax [in the USA anyway], which can be avoided if you purchase from the internet.

Also, large retailers who also have at least 1 store in your state [if you live in the USA], will charge you state tax, even if you purchase from them only from their internet web sites.

This includes: Circuit City, CompUSA, BestBuy, Office Depot, Costco, Walmart.

Of course, most web based vendors charge for shipping + handling [s/H], but you can watch for bargains/coupons/special offers/sales in order to save money.

PriceWatch should be your shopping guide:

http://www.pricewatch.com/

HTH

Edited by MDGx

P4 is faster than AMD only if you buy a Core 2 [EX is the fastest, Duo is slower] CPU.

Almost all older P4 editions [except maybe Extreme Gamers editions] are slower than similar generation AMD CPUs.

So i was wrong AMD are faster than P4?

Is core 2 the same as Duo core if so i thought

Win98SE didn't support duo core!!!

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Core 2 is not P4. Core 2 is new architecture based on Pentium III, NetBurst architecture used by P4 was abandoned. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4
Keep also in mind that Win9x/ME OSes do not support [as far as I know]PCIX video controllers.
PCIX? I think you meant PCI-E, and there is no problem with PCI-E video cards in Windows 9x in general, just some specific types don't have drivers and they may be some specific incompatibilities. I have successfully used ATI X300SE, X550 and Nvidia 6200, 6200TC and 6600 in computers with 915, 945, 955 and 975 Intel chipsets.
Win9x also doesn't provide processor support for P4 CPUs.
What do you mean by "processor support"? I think no processor support is needed. The only processor dependent thing I'm aware of is the microcode update driver UPDATE.SYS, I've modified it to update Willamette and Northwood processors too, but this microcode update should be done by BIOS anyway.
Intel does, but most of their driver installers [PCIX, SATA, RAID etc] are only for NTx OSes [2000/XP/2003/Vista].
What do you mean by P4 support by Intel? Officially there is Windows 98SE INF installation utility for Intel 915 chipset but support for other newer chipsets can be easily added. The only problems are with AHCI/RAID, SATA in native mode, USB2.0 and HDA. This is valid for Intel P4 9xx chipsets, Intel 8xx P4 chipsets have complete support for Windows 9x. There are also other chipsets than Intel (VIA, SiS, Nvidia)
There are a lot of good posts in these forums about which chipsets, CPUs, GPUs, disks, standards etc are supported by 9x Oses.

For example:

9x does support AGP video port.

9x does support USB with NUSB installed.

9x does support FireWire with vendor specific drivers.

NUSB provides no USB support, it is just mass storage driver. Chipset specific drivers are required for USB2.0 support and not all are available.

AFAIK there are no Firewire drivers required, Firewire controller driver is built in Windows 98/Me.

Think also about a powerful enough PSU [Power Supply Unit], to accomodate all components [present + future]. Start looking for a good *quality* [also an important keyword] PSU of at least 500 W or better.

Make sure they have at least 1 fan, and preferably with modular [can be disconnected at will] connectors, so you can use only the power cables you need, without cluttering your case with unneeded cables hanging around, which would only impair cooling by blocking the air flow.

Make sure you get at least 2-4 good quality ball bearing case fans [usually 80mm], preferably with variable speed.

Example: screw in 2 fans in front of the case to blow inward and 2 in the back of the case to blow outward.

I think 500 W is necessary for really big systems with SLI Nvidia video cards, I have just measured my E6600 Core 2 system in Intel D975XBX motherboard with ATI X550 video card and 2 320GB HDDs and the maximum power (with special burn-in tests running) consumed (on primary side) is 140 W.

Some poeople don't recommend modular connectors in power supplies because they decrease the reliability and increase the serial resistance.

If possible to use them, 120 mm fans are even better because of lower noise level.

Petr

Now i just need help on selecting a motherboard/cpu/graphics card

don't really need a sound card.I will get mushkin/crucial memory.512mb

These are my options between the 2 memories.

I'm glad i waited before i just jump out and bought a computer.

I won't be overclocking but a nice feature to be included.

Last thing

Do Windows98SE support 19 inch flat screens.

also should i go with CRT or LCD monitors

i want it to last as long as possible

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

VIA chipsets are best for 9x. NForce2 performs really well, but I've found it to be unstable at times. VIA is slower, but it's rock solid.

AMD procs are far better in price. A Socket 754 Sempron 3100+ 64-bit is 50 bucks at Newegg. 98SE runs nicely, and newer OSs (Linux, anyone?) will fly on it.

Nvidia chips beyond the 6 series are overkill. AGP doesn't allow much of a performance boost, and better cards require higher driver versions that are optimized for NT kernels. I haven't used ATI in years, but I'm told the 9800 is a very good card for 98SE.

Wattage is pointless in a PSU. What you're looking for is something that costs at least 30 bucks, from a decent brand. Cheap 500W power supplies almost always blow out by the time you hit 400 watts, dono't waste money on them. With a system like I outlined, you'll never need more than a 350W unit unless you're running a server with a few hard drives.

For memory, I've also found brands not to matter much for performance. Quality control varies between brands though, so go with a pretty big name. I'd suggest Kingston, they're affordable and seem to have a low failure rate. Avoid PNY, I know way too many people who had to return those chips.

Monitor is all about what you can afford. LCDs need less power and take up less space, but a CRT will have a better picture that some of the cheap LCDs. If the video card has a port the monitor can plug into, then 98SE will be fine with the monitor.

This is all just based on my experiences. I'm sure others have had different expierences, so take it with a grain of salt. Hope it helps.

Wattage is pointless in a PSU. What you're looking for is something that costs at least 30 bucks, from a decent brand. Cheap 500W power supplies almost always blow out by the time you hit 400 watts, dono't waste money on them. With a system like I outlined, you'll never need more than a 350W unit unless you're running a server with a few hard drives.

Do keep note as well that you should check reviews for each brand. Wattage may not be a prime issue but reliability over the 12v rails are. You can have the best strongest PSU in the world but if the voltage flow over the power rails are poor and heavily fluctuate then you'll end up with more problems than using a PSU too weak for the PC. In the end you could ultimately burn out some components as well from it.

Additionally as a personal rule of thumb...

...If you use any additional fans, put them on the same powerline and not on those being used for Hard disks or other drives. Otherwise you'll ensure lack of flow and an overload on that one line. This applies to those fans that use a MOLEX power connector (same type used for IDE Hard Disks).

... Go for a mid-range priced CPU and not the cheapest you can get. The cheapest ones seem to have an incredibly short lifespan. A good example can be shown in reviews of a certain $10.00~ 400w PSU on newegg.

Edited by Chozo4

Do note that those "500W" power supplies that are much cheaper than comparable 500 watt units from reputable manufacturers like Antec or Enermax do not actually have 500 watts of continuous power available. Maybe 300 - 350 at most.

Running a PSU well below its output limit extends its lifetime. I'd get the most powerful PSU you can afford.

Here's an interesting mobo to consider: http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm

Supports the newest processors from Intel, based on the old reliable 865 chipset. Should also support Win98SE 100% :thumbup

Other than that, I'd recommend the Asus P5P800SE which is similar but more expensive (Asus quality?)

Edited by LLXX