WD B2 wont update? - Solution

:( Guyz , from the past 15 days defender has been failing to update itself .

I tried the update method from the about box , Check for update from the main screen , Automatic Update and the Microsoft update.

I remember AU and MU reporting successfull updates but the definitions have not yet updated in reality!!!

When i update through the WD itself , i remeber it gives me an error but i could not get the number for u :no:

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1186.0

Signature Version: 1.13.1282.6

Can you help me? or Provide a direct link for the updated definitions which someone had posted in another thread :)

This is a known Beta Bug for which MS has released a KB Article.

KB Article

Symptom -

After you uninstall and then reinstall Microsoft Windows Defender Beta 2, you may receive the following error message:

Windows Defender definitions haven't been updated

If you check for updated definitions when this occurs, Windows Defender reports that no updates are available.

Resolution -

1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type

Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}, and then click OK

2. Open Windows Defender. To do this, click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.

3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

Edited by alsiladka

Guyz , from the past 15 days defender has been failing to update itself .

I tried the update method from the about box , Check for update from the main screen , Automatic Update and the Microsoft update.

I remember AU and MU reporting successfull updates but the definitions have not yet updated in reality!!!

When i update through the WD itself , i remeber it gives me an error but i could not get the number for u Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1186.0

Signature Version: 1.13.1282.6

Can you help me? or Provide a direct link for the updated definitions which someone had posted in another thread

there will probably be no help from anyone, i have been experenceing the same thing and a bunch of my friends are too, it a beta issue :}

Today i uninstalled it and reinstalled it again......

Now the signature reads

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1185.0

Signature Version: 1.0.0.0

Wont update only :(

Can anyone explain?

Edited by alsiladka

• 2 weeks later...
i had to do it again today, apparently that software that it removed regenerates

Strange .

Apparently the software which it removed was nothing but the definition update. So when the defender did not find any previous definitions , it simply installed the only definition file available to it , that is the current one.

But after doing it last time , i have not had to do so again. It has been updating regularly and smoothly since :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Spybot S&D. Much better solution. The only thing I like about Windows defender is the real time monitoring.

Maybe pinned now , i have added the symptom and the solution in the first post so that anyone who has the problem can get quick access to the solution. :)
Edited by rjdohnert