Slipstreaming Windows Server 2003 R2

c4p0ne

I have a Volume License version of Windows Server 2003 with SP1 already integrated (I don't know if that was done with nlite). The question is, we have a VL version of the x86 R2. I know for a fact that it can be slipstreamed because there is a slipstream.inf in the root folder (of the R2 Disc) but the problem is, how can this be done with nlite? And what category would that go under in options? Service Packs? Hotfixes? Patches?

:unsure:

Edited by c4p0ne

Whether or not that is true, it still does not answer my question. I have 1 W2K3SP1 Disc, and 1 R2 Disc. Obviously the R2 Disc is meant to be either installed directly, or slipstreamed. The R2 Disk is less then 140 Megabytes so again, it's obviously an upgrade.

The only problem is that it's not like a "single file" service pack (like SP1 for W2K3). It has a root folder with files and subfolders and the documentation says nothing about slipstreaming even though it's clear by the directory structure that it can and was meant to be done.

Its kind of frustrating but I'll keep digging. :(

Windows Server 2003 R2 comes with SP1 integrated from Microsoft

R2 is not a full OS as it should have been.

(Release number 2)

c4p0ne, you need to find a file named update.exe on your CD when using the Service pack option.

I only know this because I've dug into nLite translation. It's in the file selection window's title but it is so far on the right it can't be displayed.

In fact, when you select a servicepack.exe, nLite expands it and then finds the 'update.exe'. :)

Thanks, that's useful information and in fact, I've found 6 "update.exe" files on the disk but unfortunately they seem to be for R2's "extra components" which can be installed after the R2 installation has gone well. There doesn't seem to by any update.exe file in the root directory or root of the "R2" subdir.

Funny I can't even seem to find stuff about slipstreaming R2 on MS's website! (!@*&%?). Well there is a slipstream.inf file in the root that looks like the following:

<- start ->

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

DestinationPlatform = i386

LanguageType = %Locale%

NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5

NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 2

SKU = ia

DriverVer=10/01/2002,5.2.3790.2075

[strings]

Locale = 0x00000409

<- end ->

I just can't figure this out and what kills me is that I'm sure the integration is something almost rediculously simple to do.

what i did is extract the root of CD2 into the root of CD1 so that so that WIN52IA.R2 is with the other ID files (Along with the other files and folders, overwrite any files it says, (only two autorun.ini and one other), when it is installed just click next on the R2 install box that appears and then it will continue ,the ISO is just under 700MB (695MB) and fits on one 80min CDR, no idea how to install the R2 components unattended :(

post-14776-1142641765_thumb.png

Edited by Lemonzest

• 1 year later...

Hi There,

I have started a new Thread in the Unattended Section regarding this issue. I am trying to get the same thing. I have done extensive testing the last few days and hopefully some of the information can help us all work together to figure this out.

I know we are so close I can taste it but there is something we are overlooking! I am DETERMINED to figure it out! :thumbup

New Thread On This Topic

R2 is not an OS, its a bundle of tools for large scale managing of network systems.

You have Server 2003 SP1 + R2 in the case. 2 Separate CDs. Its an addon pack.

Theres no such thing as Server 2003 R2. Its just server 2003 with R2.

More info: http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/win2003_r2.asp

Look on the site. Lists all the tools it comes with. Ironically, they are also tools you will never use unless you run a large, complex network.

R2 is primarily designed to combine the gold version of Windows Server 2003 with Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and the various out-of-band updates, now called Feature Packs, that Microsoft has shipped since Windows 2003 was first released. According to Microsoft, these Feature Packs include:

Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM). A light run-time mode for Active Directory designed specifically for deploying secure, directory-based applications.

Automated Deployment Services (ADS). A set of Microsoft imaging tools designed to help you rapidly deploy Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 remotely onto bare-metal servers. ADS also features a remote script execution framework that helps administrators perform script-based management tasks on hundreds of servers as easily as they once did on a single server.

DSML Services for Windows (DSML). Enables Active Directory access using SOAP over HTTP.

Identity Integration Feature Pack (IIFP). Manages identities and user details across Active Directory, Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM), Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, and Exchange Server 2003 environments.

Remote Control Add-on for Active Directory Users and Computers. An add-on that adds the option to right-click a computer account in the Active Directory MMC and choose Remote Control on that computer by opening a Terminal/Remote Desktop connection to that computer.

Services for NetWare 5.02 SP2. A cumulative set of updates and services that have been offered since the release of Services for Netware 5.01 SP 1.

Shadow Copy Client. A client update that lets Windows versions earlier than Windows Server 2003 take advantage of the intelligent file storage capabilities of the Shadow Copies of Shared Folders feature.

Windows Rights Management Services (Windows RMS). An information protection technology that works with RMS-enabled applications to help safeguard digital information from unauthorized useâ€â€both online and offline, inside and outside of the firewall.

Windows Rights Management Services Client. The client code for Windows RMS.

Windows SharePoint Services. A powerful Web-based team collaboration environment. The R2 version will include TrustBridge compatibility for sharing information with partner companies and customers.

Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM). Provides resource management and enables the allocation of resources among multiple applications based on business priorities.

Edited by brucevangeorge